Fungal Dissident

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Remember when this comic was about video games, and not politics?
Remember when this comic was about life of Erin and her co-workers?
Good times, good times :(

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
"The Mario universe is a lot more exciting when you take it as an allegory of European colonialism in Africa."
And even more exciting with Princess Peach in that dominant pose. Then, the thought of item boxes makes it depressing.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
erttheking said:
You know I always wondered about that. Why IS peach in charge? In fact, how come her main enforcers aren't mushrooms either?
It seems to be a trope: the human species is the best species. Most (if not [almost] all) fictional media portray that. Even when humans aren't the best in much, like the Mass Effect series and Guardians of The Galaxy, humans are the bottom line or the final decision makers. Humans are the heroes.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
2HF said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Remember when you drew and wrote this comic and had total creative control to the point where you could strangle any and all change that had the nerve to even cross your mind? Good times.
Remember when people contextually understood jokes instead of just responding with reactionary hostility?

I mean, even if you'd never been in the comments section of a Critical Miss comic before, even if you didn't read me rebuking an anti-Tumblr posters right below this, you probably did notice the comic was actually about a game, right?
Remember that time when I was out of line and you were totally right? It was this time, right now. My bad.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
He had it coming. The Peach dynasty has brought nothing but prosperity and growth to the Mushroom Kingdom, and yet so-called social justice mushrooms (I refuse to call them "Amanita" like some PC slave) constantly try and agitate and tear it all down. The box is a slap on the wrist, all things considered.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
So in this analogy, is Bowser some Shaka Zulu equivalent, leading a militaristic force of his people to cast out the foreign oppressors?

(Obligatory conspiracy theory that Peach is just the figurehead, and they keep her around to get kidnapped and distract Bowser so Toad Parliament can actually run mushroom kingdom)
A quick point of history. Shaka Zulu did no such thing, he wasn't King for the famous Anglo-Zulu war, having died some 50 years previously. Cetshwayo was the King for that war. Shaka never fought colonial powers directly, actually the opposite. He permitted European settlers to operate in the Zulu Kingdom, after his life was saved by a British trader.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Mario has the deepest lore of any video game. It's so deep that it goes over most people's head and goes a full circle to seeming shallow.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
blackrave said:
Remember when this comic was about life of Erin and her co-workers?
Good times, good times :(
Who the hell is Erin?

Pyrian said:
The very first comic is rather political
Parody post. It's especially noteworthy that the comic is talking about games.

Captcha: you're not listening.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
I love the face Peach makes in this. It just works so well, I think she has to show up again in the future.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
thundra said:
zombiejoe said:
I thought they Toads were just wearing hats. Aren't they just wearing hats?
yes and No continuity is fucked in super mario. It's never consistent.
One of the reasons why I have to do a serious rewrite of my fic. Forget consistancy...continuity is pretty much non-existant! Just look at Game Theory's recent look at Rosalina (on YouTube...it's not on Escapist yet) to get an idea!

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
FenrinaFaerose said:
Imp Emissary said:
Aren't all the blocks suppose to be mushroom people turned into stone? Meaning all those times you break them, you're actually destroying innocent civilians?
I checked the manual, and I'm pretty sure it's referring to the ? blocks that can't be destroyed. That said, I don't think they're still using that explanation.
They are not useing it anymore but it was everything including the plants.
http://sydlexia.com/imagesandstuff/7deadlysins/super_mario_bros_instruction_manual_story.jpg

draigodragon

Nov 21, 2011
Revolutionary said:
Legitimately sounds like something someone on tumblr would actually think. For that reason I just couldn't find this funny, that's where we're at right now.
can you at least find it amusing...

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
So in this analogy, is Bowser some Shaka Zulu equivalent, leading a militaristic force of his people to cast out the foreign oppressors?

(Obligatory conspiracy theory that Peach is just the figurehead, and they keep her around to get kidnapped and distract Bowser so Toad Parliament can actually run mushroom kingdom)
I mean tehcnically if Peach were the acting head of state she would be Queen instead of princess.
Andy Shandy said:
thundra said:
This why #istandwithbowser he is true ruler of mushroom kingdom
But he's not a mushroom either.

#IStandWithToadsworth

Look at this ************, and tell me he's not the rightful king.
That's gotta be it, Peach is a puppet ruler while Toadsworth is pulling the strings. I mean think about it: the guy's been around and been her mentor since her childhood, it's almost a carbon-copy of the Japanese Cloistered Emperor system.

And perhaps this means Bowser is actually an anallogy for an exterior power trying to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom under the guise of "liberating" it from the monarchy. While actually this is an agreement between him and Toadsworth who supplies him with money and goods in exchange for Bowser forcing Mario (the only independant major force in the Mushroom Kingdom) occupied with maintaining the Status Quo.

I should get out of my room sometimes...

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
Murlin said:
I mean tehcnically if Peach were the acting head of state she would be Queen instead of princess.
Andy Shandy said:
thundra said:
This why #istandwithbowser he is true ruler of mushroom kingdom
But he's not a mushroom either.

#IStandWithToadsworth

Look at this ************, and tell me he's not the rightful king.
That's gotta be it, Peach is a puppet ruler while Toadsworth is pulling the strings. I mean think about it: the guy's been around and been her mentor since her childhood, it's almost a carbon-copy of the Japanese Cloistered Emperor system.

And perhaps this means Bowser is actually an anallogy for an exterior power trying to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom under the guise of "liberating" it from the monarchy. While actually this is an agreement between him and Toadsworth who supplies him with money and goods in exchange for Bowser forcing Mario (the only independant major force in the Mushroom Kingdom) occupied with maintaining the Status Quo.

I should get out of my room sometimes...

The Mushroom Kingdome gets rule by the benevolence King Koopa .

She is Peach Toadstool ,
Mother of Yoshies ,bringer fire flower, breaker of Boxes ,
princess of the mushroom-kingdom and rightfull queen of the mario lands.

Don't fall for those propaganda games by the mario usurpers.
They just want to whitewash their genocide of all non-musrooms
and frame their attempt to kitnapping the heir as a "rescue" opperation.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Xman490 said:
"The Mario universe is a lot more exciting when you take it as an allegory of European colonialism in Africa."
And even more exciting with Princess Peach in that dominant pose. Then, the thought of item boxes makes it depressing.
I dunno about you, but a certain memory of mine from my childhood, from a Nintendo Power comic strip no less, tells me...

OT: I like the uniqueness of their artistry on this old joke, but...yeah...

Old joke an' all.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
2HF said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Remember when you drew and wrote this comic and had total creative control to the point where you could strangle any and all change that had the nerve to even cross your mind? Good times.
Remember when people contextually understood jokes instead of just responding with reactionary hostility?
This has not happened on the internet. Not ever.