Funny events in anti-woke world

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

The first part of Texas's audit came through and nothing was found...

Thus proving that there is literally no reason to limit what counties did to drive turnout last election.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
He prob thinks Cancun was in Texas as well.
Cancun is in Mexico
Texas was once part of Mexico
Therefore it's all the same.
Checkmate, libtards!

/s, as if it were necessary.

Ted Cruz is an... interesting character though. He seems to be completely off his rocker now, but he once clerked for Chief Justice Rhenquist. That is not a position you reach while being a buffoon, to say nothing of graduating Harvard Law magna cum laude. He's certainly not someone who should be dismissed for appearing like a clown, if the past quarter century hasn't severely atrophied that academic muscle he clearly once had. This one could be a helluva lot more dangerous than Trump ever was.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You keep saying "could" while ignoring the real word "don't". Why is that? Have real voting centers never been tried?
They have, and seem to be approved of by both major political parties in Texas. A change that everyone seems on board with has created a statistical shift being used to support a narrative that I've seen no evidence actually plays out in real world events. It's all speculation that because there are fewer polling places, it's harder to vote, but nobody is actually showing any evidence that it is harder to vote. They enacted a program meant to make voting go smoother, implemented it disproportionately in areas with minority populations (because they had more voting problems and needed the help), and it's being used as an accusation of racism devoid of context.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They have, and seem to be approved of by both major political parties in Texas. A change that everyone seems on board with has created a statistical shift being used to support a narrative that I've seen no evidence actually plays out in real world events. It's all speculation that because there are fewer polling places, it's harder to vote, but nobody is actually showing any evidence that it is harder to vote. They enacted a program meant to make voting go smoother, implemented it disproportionately in areas with minority populations (because they had more voting problems and needed the help), and it's being used as an accusation of racism devoid of context.

You realize there hasn't actually been an election yet, right? You can't prove a benefit? Instead you're desperately trying to pretend that having fewer voting centers is better because *checks notes* most of the people in the 8 hour lines are there because they were in the wrong lines before

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Cancun is in Mexico
Texas was once part of Mexico
Therefore it's all the same.
Checkmate, libtards!

/s, as if it were necessary.

Ted Cruz is an... interesting character though. He seems to be completely off his rocker now, but he once clerked for Chief Justice Rhenquist. That is not a position you reach while being a buffoon, to say nothing of graduating Harvard Law magna cum laude. He's certainly not someone who should be dismissed for appearing like a clown, if the past quarter century hasn't severely atrophied that academic muscle he clearly once had. This one could be a helluva lot more dangerous than Trump ever was.
Hey at least you didn’t need to use blue text for the sarcasm! Hahaha!
I often wonder if characters like Cruz and Alex Jones just play along with the crowd and not really believe some of the shit they say or do they actually believe it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hey at least you didn’t need to use blue text for the sarcasm! Hahaha!
I often wonder if characters like Cruz and Alex Jones just play along with the crowd and not really believe some of the shit they say or do they actually believe it.
Cruz is smart enough to to play to the crowd, hence the humiliating photo of him phone banking for Trump. Jones could be a mixed bag

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Also claiming the Democrats approved it is a pretty hard sell when they literally left the state to break quorum specifically to stop the special session where they were approving that bill

It takes balls to lie that brazenly.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
It requires the state to make a way to track your mail-in vote online, it adds a rule that people need be allowed to submit their vote without necessarily voting on every election on the ballot, if they so choose. It funds new voting machines. It's strange to me that one might read it and think "this will make voting so much harder!" because they explicitly forbid practices that were only used in the 2020 November election, under the stress of an ongoing pandemic.
It's strange that making it harder to vote by mail (in a state where it already is fairly difficult), harder for the disabled, and limiting polling hours and locations, all add up to making it easier to vote. Yeah, makes a lot of sense. Sure.

I kind of think Cruz is really just that uncharismatic and socially inept. One can be academically smart but still be dense as fuck when dealing with people, after all. Meanwhile, Jones may have been playing a character at one time, but is genuinely batshit after playing the role for so long.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
I FUCKING SWEAR, if the latest strain really does hit the vaccinated harder, I WELCOME it into my body at this point and hope it fucking kills me! Maybe then I'll get some fucking peace and quiet from half the country shaming me for getting vaccinated and blaming me for shutdowns that haven't even happened yet!

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

You realize there hasn't actually been an election yet, right? You can't prove a benefit? Instead you're desperately trying to pretend that having fewer voting centers is better because *checks notes* most of the people in the 8 hour lines are there because they were in the wrong lines before
That bill isn't what were talking about. We were talking about the closing of polling places that's already happened.

Also, Senate Bill 7 doesn't even aim to cut polling places, just reorganize existing polling places to proportion the number of voters in a district. Personally, I think that a mistake for the same reason I'm defending the countywide voting centers, let people vote anywhere in the county, and let the cities where people work have more places to vote. But protesting that part of the bill on the basis of polling places moving is basically saying "This really blue county has twice the number of polling places per capita, and it's unfair to change that."
Also claiming the Democrats approved it is a pretty hard sell when they literally left the state to break quorum specifically to stop the special session where they were approving that bill

It takes balls to lie that brazenly.
Not at all the thing I was talking about. In fact, when I said they aren't gun shy about lodging complaints about Republican voting bills, this is the exact event I was thinking about. But this is not the thing that we were talking about, we were talking about closures that have already occurred.
It's strange that making it harder to vote by mail (in a state where it already is fairly difficult), harder for the disabled, and limiting polling hours and locations, all add up to making it easier to vote. Yeah, makes a lot of sense. Sure.
It only makes it harder to vote by mail by preventing people from soliciting you to request a ballot. IIRC, that is the single change to the process of voting by mail in this bill from the experience of a voter. It makes more work for the people counting, but that has no bearing on how easy it is for you to vote.

Limited polling hours is how almost everywhere does election day, and is how Texas did elections other than November 2020. If this bill passes exactly as is, it will still be far easier to vote in Texas in 2024 than it was in 2016. The options being taken away were used once because of a major election during a once in a century pandemic.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
That bill isn't what were talking about. We were talking about the closing of polling places that's already happened.

Also, Senate Bill 7 doesn't even aim to cut polling places, just reorganize existing polling places to proportion the number of voters in a district. Personally, I think that a mistake for the same reason I'm defending the countywide voting centers, let people vote anywhere in the county, and let the cities where people work have more places to vote. But protesting that part of the bill on the basis of polling places moving is basically saying "This really blue county has twice the number of polling places per capita, and it's unfair to change that."

Not at all the thing I was talking about. In fact, when I said they aren't gun shy about lodging complaints about Republican voting bills, this is the exact event I was thinking about. But this is not the thing that we were talking about, we were talking about closures that have already occurred.

It only makes it harder to vote by mail by preventing people from soliciting you to request a ballot. IIRC, that is the single change to the process of voting by mail in this bill from the experience of a voter. It makes more work for the people counting, but that has no bearing on how easy it is for you to vote.

Limited polling hours is how almost everywhere does election day, and is how Texas did elections other than November 2020. If this bill passes exactly as is, it will still be far easier to vote in Texas in 2024 than it was in 2016. The options being taken away were used once because of a major election during a once in a century pandemic.
Oh sorry, you're talking about the bill that republicans changed the rules on to ram through on a party line vote that not a single democrat voted for and spent the whole time objecting that republicans are pricks about.

Fair enough, by bad. You're still wrong, and hilariously so. You live in a fantasy world, but indeed, republicans have instituted multiple voter suppression bills and it's difficult to keep them all straight.

EDIT: If you want to know why democrats left the state later in the year, it's because the republicans demonstrated their willingness to disregard the rules for partisan horseplay that session already, no reason to stick around and play.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Oh sorry, you're talking about the bill that republicans changed the rules on to ram through on a party line vote that not a single democrat voted for and spent the whole time objecting that republicans are pricks about.
No, we were talking about a program that restructured polling places into fewer but non-specific voting centers that was enacted nearly a decade ago. This tangent spawned from this article:
Which referenced a study on polling places closing since 2012. Bills that haven't even passed yet aren't the cause of closures 9 years ago.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
No, we were talking about a program that restructured polling places into fewer but non-specific voting centers that was enacted nearly a decade ago. This tangent spawned from this article:
Which referenced a study on polling places closing since 2012. Bills that haven't even passed yet aren't the cause of closures 9 years ago.
Oh, so you're taking the idea that setting up polling places to be universal is considered good by democrats and applying it to shutting down polling places being popular with democrats?

“I’d be curious to know how many of the consolidation efforts were good faith efforts [to] … increase the number of options for a voter but also improve the kind of polling place that a particular voter may have voted in,” said Chris Davis, the Williamson County elections administrator and former president of the Texas Association of Election Administrators. He pointed out that some precinct polling places were ADA-inaccessible.
Mary Duty, chair of the McLennan County Democratic party, has soured on the centralization program since the county entered it in 2014. “It turned out to be kind of a nightmare,” she said, pointing to large areas of the county without a voting location. And activists argue that low turnout at a particular polling place is not a reason to close it – it is a sign that the turnout itself, which is typically lower in Latinx neighborhoods, must be addressed. Closing a polling station for reasons of low turnout can have a discriminatory impact, activists say.
Ringing endorsements from this article you have definitely clearly read. Definitely.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Ringing endorsements from this article you have definitely clearly read. Definitely.
Now find anything like that from a source that isn't a shamelessly left-leaning infamously unfactual publication out of a completely different country and maybe there's a point. Here's a fun game, it's called "google the person quoted". So I googled Mary Duty a bit. I found this (local, reliable, seemingly neutral publication):

Duty said officials in both party offices are continuing to educate voters and are putting out calls for volunteers to serve at the polls.
Duty and Ker said they have heard of minor matters at vote centers but nothing major.
“We want to have a nice happy election,” Duty said.

Or this one:
Duty said. “As recently as two elections ago we were in this tiny little room, with six sorting machines, and now we’re in this gym. That’s the way it is across the district. We have sort of doubled the number of machines, and it seems to me people are making good use of those machines. People are really anxious to vote in this election.”

That does not sound to me like someone who would describe the recent changes as "kind of a nightmare" without more context of what she was talking about, but you're not getting that from The Guardian.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Now find anything like that from a source that isn't a shamelessly left-leaning infamously unfactual publication out of a completely different country and maybe there's a point.
IT'S YOUR ARTICLE, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!

Here's a fun game, it's called "google the person quoted". So I googled Mary Duty a bit. I found this (local, reliable, seemingly neutral publication):

Duty said officials in both party offices are continuing to educate voters and are putting out calls for volunteers to serve at the polls.
Duty and Ker said they have heard of minor matters at vote centers but nothing major.
“We want to have a nice happy election,” Duty said.

Or this one:
Duty said. “As recently as two elections ago we were in this tiny little room, with six sorting machines, and now we’re in this gym. That’s the way it is across the district. We have sort of doubled the number of machines, and it seems to me people are making good use of those machines. People are really anxious to vote in this election.”

That does not sound to me like someone who would describe the recent changes as "kind of a nightmare" without more context of what she was talking about, but you're not getting that from The Guardian.
Because those articles have absolutely literally nothing to do with what you're arguing. The first article is about voting machines and the second article is touting all the stuff you hate, mail-in ballots and drive-thru voting. You once again don't read your sources. Like, what's wrong with you? What is your major malfunction?

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States