Funny events in anti-woke world

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
My source where I got it from;
So cynical marketers featured a cynical left-wing grifter on their candy bar, knowing the cynical right-wing grifters would give them free advertisement through controversy, and then it's all explained to us by that cynical grifter on youtube.

Beautiful.

Edit: I woke up hours before I needed to and got sucked down this rabbit hole, so I'm pulling you all down with me.

Who is the trans person on the chocolate bar? That person is Fae Johnstone, who was already an LGBTQ activist, attempting to make a career of that before transitioning, who then transitioned and posted their first post-transition Instagram headshot with the caption "reminder that I'm looking for honorarium/paid gigs", seemingly trying to make money off of it immediately. That instagram seems to have been scrubbed to the ground, and I'm not linking the Daily Wire content that showed me the post because none of you care about that, so lets set aside all of that and start from scratch. Who is Fae Johnstone?
So that's mostly what you'd expect, champion of LGBT rights, etc. There are some bold claims in here, but it's literally self-advertising so I won't pick it apart on those grounds, you're allowed to make the best case for yourself on your own website. There is, however, one particular line that really stands in contrast to the rest of it:
"As the Executive Director and Co-Owner of Wisdom2Action, she has taken a boutique consulting firm and scaled it up to a full-fledged business with a growing team."
Where most of that page is implying passion for the subject matter, an activist who travels and engages in communities, the one sentence reeks of pure corporate buzzwords. Taking a small firm and scaling it to a full-fledged business is a brag you expect from Mitt Romney, not a Canadian trans activist. But context is key, so lets look at the business, Wisdom2Action, and see how the puzzle pieces fit:
Well, they're a corporate consulting firm, so that's where that language came from. I mean, they "aren’t just another corporate consulting firm", but that is what they are, a corporate consulting firm. So I read to the bottom of that page and find this:
Wisdom2Action (W2A) was formed in 2011 and was originally known as the Children and Youth in Challenging Contexts Network. We began as a federally funded knowledge mobilization network tasked with helping the youth-serving sector better understand and implement evidence-based practices.

Through conferences, training and mentorship programs, as well as resource development and dissemination, we have helped nonprofit, health and social service organizations to better support the young people in their communities.

In 2018, we became a social enterprise with the intention of broadening our work to facilitate change and strengthen communities across Canada.
Wait, what? You started as a federal program under a different name and transitioned to a consultant business? How does that happen? Their website didn't help me navigate that, other than saying one became the other, so I went back to google and found this which explains a little:
So, it began as a government funded program to share knowledge and resources supporting the mental health of children, with particular focus is underserved communities. Ok, sounds good. A few years in, they started a program called Wisdom2Action, which would bring people from different places physically together to workshop their strategies for supporting children's mental health. Still sounds great. Apparently that networking proved valuable, and they made these workshops a repeated event, to the point where they incorporated the name of the events into the name of the organization. Everything seems good so far. And then somehow a year after that document, it became a private business. I'm not sure how exactly, I found no detailed documentation on this. It's possible that their program lost funding and they had no choice but to take it on as a personal endeavor, I can't say with any evidence that they actively decided to tear away the program that existed, but I can say for certain the Wisdom2Action program enacted by the Children and Youth in Challenging Contexts Network did not survive the transition. If we look at their youtube page:
Through August 2018, the year it went private, there were videos about their networking events every few months consistently. Then one video about a report they made. Then nothing at all for several years, and its 100% the Fae Johnstone show since then. It's a hard turn to a totally different thing. The networking events where the name started are gone, not just on Youtube but also their website. They aren't bringing people together to share knowledge, they are trying to sell Wisdom2Action's personal expertise to organizations that can afford them. Predictably, no prices listed on their website, but Fae Johnstone offers speaking engagements on a sliding scale from $1500 to $2500 back on the personal webpage.

It's not just the name that transferred, many of the people in the older videos are listed as team members on W2A's page. It's the same group of people made the transition from a knowledge network, to hosting community networking events, to hosting closed door events for a fee to whoever wants to pay them, and so far as I can tell, that last step is specifically where Fae Johnstone enters in. Fae was already looking for private paid speaking gigs when Wisdom2Action was just taking form within the CYCCN, and now that Windom2Action is private, with Fae Johnstone as co-owner, it has dedicated it's efforts to seeking those sorts of gigs, along with other profitable consulting services. Which I guess is how you "take a boutique consulting firm and scaled it up to a full-fledged business with a growing team", you stop doing charitable events for the benefit of children's mental health and start doing corporate diversity consulting.

Also, apparently that's how to get your face on a candy bar.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Lmao, y'all know that's just post-hoc justification for being mad that there's a trans woman in an advertisement. Fucking nobody waited to find out who she was.

EDIT: But now the Daily Wire gets to sell you drop-shipped rewrapped Hershey bars at a massive markup. Y'all know this shit isn't gonna be quality

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
"Own the libs by paying a 10x premium for some shitty chocolate!"

Money, fool, latter soon parted from former, etc.
If it's decent stuff then that price isn't awful considering in the UK about the equivalent in higher end chocolate like Green & Blacks is about £6 a pack so £24 for 4.

It may well not be Hersey or the superior but still mass produced Cadburys but those are lower end stuff really. For a smaller brand if the quality is there then price wise it's not bad.

It's like how you can get Lemonade in the UK for about £0.30 for a 2 litre bottle or you can get 750 ml of more premium stuff for like £3.50.

Not really a great own when it's people supporting a likely smaller brand that may well be higher quality.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
If it's decent stuff then that price isn't awful considering in the UK about the equivalent in higher end chocolate like Green & Blacks is about £6 a pack so £24 for 4.
I might have got my conversions wrong, but that's $7 for a 1.5oz bar (42g); Green and Blacks at Sainsbury's is £2 (acutally on offer at £1.60 right now) for a 90g bar (3.17oz). So the price is pretty bad if that's right.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I might have got my conversions wrong, but that's $7 for a 1.5oz bar (42g); Green and Blacks at Sainsbury's is £2 (acutally on offer at £1.60 right now) for a 90g bar (3.17oz). So the price is pretty bad if that's right.
Worth considering that a lot of grifters take the Trump approach to business. That is, buy up some cheap crap and sell it for top shelf prices.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Worth considering that a lot of grifters take the Trump approach to business. That is, buy up some cheap crap and sell it for top shelf prices.
Oh, I don't doubt it. You could wrap dogshit in antagonistically branded silver foil and desperately offended morons in search of a personality would still buy it.

But even if it is equivalent to the high-end comparison chosen, it's still very expensive at that price point.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

It may well not be Hersey or the superior but still mass produced Cadburys but those are lower end stuff really. For a smaller brand if the quality is there then price wise it's not bad.

It's like how you can get Lemonade in the UK for about £0.30 for a 2 litre bottle or you can get 750 ml of more premium stuff for like £3.50.

Not really a great own when it's people supporting a likely smaller brand that may well be higher quality.
They're a razor company going from no chocolate to delivering outrage chocolate in a month. Why in god's name do you think they're shooting for any higher quality than Palmer's?

Reactions: Absent

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
They're a razor company going from no chocolate to delivering outrage chocolate in a month. Why in god's name do you think they're shooting for any higher quality than Palmer's?
I mean, they're probably not shooting for any quality. It's likely to be an existing brand with a different wrapper. I've been inside a few food factories and on occasion watched people swap out the brand name packaging for the store brand packaging for literally the same product.

Though, in context of this conversation, I have also been inside multiple Hershey factories, and they haven't done anything like that from what I've seen, so it's probably not just repackaged Hershey bars.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, they're probably not shooting for any quality. It's likely to be an existing brand with a different wrapper. I've been inside a few food factories and on occasion watched people swap out the brand name packaging for the store brand packaging for literally the same product.

Though, in context of this conversation, I have also been inside multiple Hershey factories, and they haven't done anything like that from what I've seen, so it's probably not just repackaged Hershey bars.
I mean not literally, sure. Unlike the Daily Wire's Outrage Superstore, Hershey owns it's own production facilities

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
the suggestion that spreadsheets and data management are a product of American slavery, as though accounting wasn't started thousands of years prior.
There's an argument to be made that writing was invented specifically as a means of handling accounting and inventory.

Remember when conservatives swore up, down and sideways that allowing gay marriage was a slippery slope to acceptance of bestiality?
It's pedophiles that are trying to rebrand themselves as part of the queer community, calling themselves "minor attracted persons" and claiming pedophile is a slur. The folks into bestiality try to creep their way toward acceptance by painting themselves as an especially fringe part of the BDSM community and hoping to ride increasing BDSM acceptance.

Notably, bestiality is legal in my state, and it is in fact the result of pushing for LGBTQetc rights. Our old law that banned homosexuality was repealed outright, rather than being amended. It was a "crimes against nature"-type law and bestiality was one of the things it banned. Someone in the state legislature proposes a bill to re-ban bestiality every session, but it never quite makes it to a vote because there are more important things going on. So unless sexual conduct with an animal will physically harm the animal (in which case it's animal cruelty/abuse), there's technically no law against it here for the time being.

Um, very shortly after I started playing with chatgpt is discovered the DAN workaround, but he hasn't? Nobody told him? Figures.
People on this forum argued not that long ago that ChapGPT didn't have any content blocks preventing it from discussing certain issues or positions.

But yeah, I find the DAN workaround hilarious - you ask it to pretend to be a different AI that doesn't have the content restrictions of ChatGPT and to answer as though it were that AI. And it does.

So, the Hershey boycott took a turn for the hilarious

If the HeHim bars are called that because they have nuts, I'm not sure I'd want to try their SheHer bars - eggs are not a thing I would want in my chocolate bar.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
People on this forum argued not that long ago that ChapGPT didn't have any content blocks preventing it from discussing certain issues or positions.

But yeah, I find the DAN workaround hilarious - you ask it to pretend to be a different AI that doesn't have the content restrictions of ChatGPT and to answer as though it were that AI. And it does.
Though, annoying when it says no to that, or says yes, but changes it's mind halfway through and won't continue whatever is going on. Bad Lovecraft rip-off fics shouldn't suddenly turn chirpy and upbeat.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's pedophiles that are trying to rebrand themselves as part of the queer community, calling themselves "minor attracted persons" and claiming pedophile is a slur.
And while a popular talking point in anti-queer circles, it's also not a thing gaining any steam whatsoever
The folks into bestiality try to creep their way toward acceptance by painting themselves as an especially fringe part of the BDSM community and hoping to ride increasing BDSM acceptance.
And while a popular talking point in anti-queer circles, it's also not a thing gaining any steam whatsoever

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This is your friendly reminder that over 300 bills have been produce by states in the US that specifically target transgender negatively. In just 2023. 2 mths

Oh, and Michael Knowles wants to eradicate all trans people. And got a nice round of appluase at CPAC

But, no one is targeting trans people

Reactions: BrawlMan and Absent