Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Scumbag. They can throw the death penalty at him. I hate abusive and possessive pricks like him.
Beyond the control freak aspect, there's the representation. As bible nuts believe that a full human person simply exists by being magically switched on by god in the mother's belly, she may have "assassinated his child", who would have to be avenged.

While most of times religious representations don't affect moral matters a lot, some obscurantist beliefs are inherently toxic. Violence "makes sense" if you believe that abortion (or animal consumption) is murder.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Beyond the control freak aspect, there's the representation. As bible nuts believe that a full human person simply exists by being magically switched on by god in the mother's belly, she may have "assassinated his child", who would have to be avenged.

While most of times religious representations don't affect moral matters a lot, some obscurantist beliefs are inherently toxic. Violence "makes sense" if you believe that abortion (or animal consumption) is murder.
Its weird too, because the Catholic church said like 20 years ago that aborted fetuses do in fact go to Heaven. So from a strictly theological point of view, the soul got a fast-pass to eternal paradise, 100% risk free.
Aside from it being the mom's choice, the theological outrage doesn't work.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Its weird too, because the Catholic church said like 20 years ago that aborted fetuses do in fact go to Heaven. So from a strictly theological point of view, the soul got a fast-pass to eternal paradise, 100% risk free.
Yeah but it's still the killing-of-an-innocent, which is frowned upon. And yeah, they do have a pretty restrictive conception of "innocence", but precisely, by their twisted conception of sin, a foetus is more less the only one who qualifies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

He's just another asshole hiding behind God and Jesus. Neither will be there to help him while his rotten soul is in prison. Thompson is the Devil's biatch now.

I couldn't give a damn what the Catholic Church thinks or believes. They ain't the end all to be all of statements. You fuckers protected child molesters, so they don't get the final say in shit. Let alone on what's innocent or not. The woman has the final say on her body, not me, not the politicians, and sure as hell not all of those in charge of the Catholic Church.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Yeah but it's still the killing-of-an-innocent, which is frowned upon. And yeah, they do have a pretty restrictive conception of "innocence", but precisely, by their twisted conception of sin, a foetus is more less the only one who qualifies.
Makes you wonder how original sin works with a conceived innocent. Like if all humans are conceived the dirty, sweaty way, and all are born with original sin, then how can an unborn be innocent? Unless the technicality is that by the process of physical birth original sin is imparted, like a time stamp at birth.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Makes you wonder how original sin works with a conceived innocent. Like if all humans are conceived the dirty, sweaty way, and all are born with original sin, then how can an unborn be innocent? Unless the technicality is that by the process of physical birth original sin is imparted, like a time stamp at birth.
Turns out we can blame this squarely on Pope Pius IX. He's the dude that said you're a full person at conception. But then your loving and merciful God was sending an unbaptized miscarried fetus to hell, so...

He's also the guy that established Papal Infallibility, so that's obviously going great. Now the greatest threat to your immortal soul is literally the act of being born.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
When Bible thumpers reveal they've never read the Goddamned thing.
It makes you wonder what Bible thumpers think a pronoun is?

Edit: I try to listen to the other side. So I was listening to a Catholic streamer. He was talking about sex and gender... and then identity. He was stating that people are too obsessed with themselves, mainly due to focussing on identity. He thought we should be focusing on others... which make you wonder what conservatives think identity means. The willingness to help others IS an identity.

I don't know how they think this is what liberals are saying.

Reactions: Dalisclock

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Edit: I try to listen to the other side. So I was listening to a Catholic streamer. He was talking about sex and gender... and then identity. He was stating that people are too obsessed with themselves, mainly due to focussing on identity. He thought we should be focusing on others... which make you wonder what conservatives think identity means. The willingness to help others IS an identity.
I'm curious what you think identity means. Identity is the ways in which we distinguish people from one another and ourselves. To identify with something is to consider yourself alike to it in a way you are not to other things. I don't think a personal focus on identity is necessarily self-obsession, but it can definitely lead there and vice-versa. If a person thinks the characteristics defining them are uniquely important, it's a natural consequence to think of themselves as uniquely important over other people. Much the same, if a person thinks of themself as uniquely important, they're likely to consider the characteristics they possess as uniquely important. That all these identity considerations get classified as pride is not coincidence.