Funny events in anti-woke world

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
However, it doesn't really save anyone significant time and effort. Like I said, I just don't see manufacturers / vendors cutting metric when so many people use it. Back twenty years ago, I get that some small scale vendors had a customer base that almost exclusively used imperial and found having to also list metric an annoying faff. But some things can change fast in a generation.
The only industry that I see still really using imperial is carpentry, and I think a lot of that is because of the nature of apprenticeships, whereby people would have been taught their trade by others following imperial measures, and it's just continued. If you go to Wickes for wood it's metric; if you go to a sawmill, it's likely to be imperial (but with metric in parentheses). All the specifications from TRADA etc. are metric, but a 150 x 50 to those guys is still a 6 x 2 (though they can obviously all do the conversion without thinking about it).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You keep telling yourself that mate, while I continue to enjoy superior cheese and wine without ridiculous import taxes and pretentious wanker culture ruining the experience.
Ah yes, world-famous American wine and melted yellow plastic cheese squares, of the kind that often aren't legally allowed to be called "cheese" in other countries. You enjoy away. I'll be here with my brie, camembert, Saint Agur, & comte.

Reactions: Hades

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
You're BOTH wrong! Just get a Gouda!
1632050569110.png
And chuck it down with the best wine of all! BEER! a Heiniken beer!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Ah yes, world-famous American wine and melted yellow plastic cheese squares, of the kind that often aren't legally allowed to be called "cheese" in other countries. You enjoy away. I'll be here with my brie, camembert, Saint Agur, & comte.

Have you got user's countries hidden or something? I'm Australian, you great berk. So I too will sit here with brie cheese, only mine comes from Tasmania and tastes great when I drink it with my preferred wines hailing from the Hunter Valley in NSW - took a tour there on my Honeymoon, was fucking fantastic - or the High Country in Victoria.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got user's countries hidden or something? I'm Australian, you great berk. So I too will sit here with brie cheese, only mine comes from Tasmania and tastes great when I drink it with my preferred wines hailing from the Hunter Valley in NSW - took a tour there on my Honeymoon, was fucking fantastic - or the High Country in Victoria.
Oh, apologies. In fairness, I do indeed have countries hidden, and the post you quoted talked about the US quite a bit more extensively than Australia. Still, my bad.

Does Brie not have protected designation of origin or something? I must say I don't think I've ever had Australian cheese, so it doesn't seem to have made much of an international impression...

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Does Brie not have protected designation of origin or something? I must say I don't think I've ever had Australian cheese, so it doesn't seem to have made much of an international impression...
As in the same way 'champagne' may only be called that if its actually made in the Champagne wine region of France? Honestly not sure; King Island is my preferred brand since it lacks the ashen or smoky after taste the traditional French stuff - which I have eaten - seems to have. For the most part the various Brie's produced internationally appear to just state where they're from on the package in one form or another and seems to satisfy the honour of all involved.

This is not to say the French do not make good cheese: of course they do, they've been doing it for centuries and Australia's dairy farming didn't really take off until the early 1900s so we (and New Zealand) are relative newcomers on the scene but we're tenacious bastards and the lingering English in us I feel compels us to try and outdo the French at every turn. Look, next time you're purusing a delicatessen for Brie, if you see the brand 'King Island Dairy', that's an Australian Brie. Comes from a little island off the coast of Tasmania. Give it a crack.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
We make all of those and more in Wisconsin, y'all ain't special.

And those melted yellow cheese squares are both delicious and can save any cheese sauce from being a grainy mess. Don't be jealous just because we figured out how to make cheese from both curds *and* whey.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States

And those melted yellow cheese squares are both delicious and can save any cheese sauce from being a grainy mess. Don't be jealous just because we figured out how to make cheese from both curds *and* whey.
Fuck both of y'all. Swiss cheese 4 lyfe.

Also, whole conversation reminds me of this little known Python skit

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You might make pale imitations, probably chock-full of sugar, corn syrup & garish yellow colouring.

Y'all know your average load of bread is supposed to be savoury, right?

Their sole benefit is ease-of-appliance. They taste like insipid melty plastic.

Fuck both of y'all. Swiss cheese 4 lyfe.
I am a huge fan of Gruyere & Emmental.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
As in the same way 'champagne' may only be called that if its actually made in the Champagne wine region of France?
Except in Russia, which though some spectacular logic just decided that only Russian sparkling white wine can be called champagne (shampanskoye in Russian), and French wines from the Champagne region cannot.

There are also two wines in the USA allowed to call themselves champagne, because they started doing so before the restrictions were agreed and it was decided to let them continue doing so.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Oh, cancel culture is back again and now the US is China
Yeah, Nicki, there's a reason why I don't listen to your music. I don't like it and I don't like you. Shut, the US ain't as close to China as you like to think. Despite the fact that many companies want to sleep in bed with with it. You are a good looking lady, but nobody needs to see your body 24/7.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Big old hack over the weekend. Biggest biggety big hack.

Epik has now confirmed that an "unauthorized intrusion" did in fact occur into its systems. The announcement follows last week's incident of hacktivist collective Anonymous leaking 180 GB of data stolen from online service provider Epik. To mock the company's initial response to the data breach claims, Anonymous had altered Epik's official knowledge base, as reported by Ars.

Epik is a domain registrar and web services provider known to serve right-wing clients, some of which have been turned down by more mainstream IT providers due to the objectionable and sometimes illicit content hosted by the clients. Epik's clients have included the Texas GOP, Parler, Gab, and 8chan, among others.

Turns out, the leaked data dump contains 15,003,961 email addresses belonging to both Epik's customers and non-customers, and not everyone is pleased with the news. This occurred as Epik had scraped WHOIS records of domains, even those not owned by the company, and stored these records. In doing so, the contact information of those who have never transacted with Epik directly was also retained in Epik's systems.

FURTHER READING
Anonymous leaks gigabytes of data from alt-right web host Epik.
Data breach monitoring service HaveIBeenPwned has now begun sending out alerts to millions of email addresses exposed in the Epik hack. The service's founder, Troy Hunt, is one of the many impacted by the data breach but who "had absolutely nothing to do with Epik."

In a poll last week, Hunt had asked if affected users who weren't Epik customers preferred receiving breach alerts as well. The majority of users responded affirmatively to the question.

"The breach exposed a huge volume of data not just of Epik customers, but also scraped WHOIS records belonging to individuals and organisations who were not Epik customers," states HaveIBeenPwned. "The data included over 15 million unique email addresses (including anonymised versions for domain privacy), names, phone numbers, physical addresses, purchases and passwords stored in various formats."

Ars has seen a part of the leaked whois.sql data set file, roughly 16 GB in size, with emails, IP addresses, domains, physical addresses, and phone numbers of the users. We noticed WHOIS records for some domains were dated and contained incorrect information about domain owners—people who no longer own these assets.

Prior to registering domains, domain registrars require users to provide their "WHOIS" contact information, such as email address, physical address, and phone number. This information becomes a part of the public WHOIS directory and is searchable by anyone for contacting the domain owner. Being public data, WHOIS records may be seen or scraped by anyone. Those who prefer not to disclose their personal information directly on a WHOIS directory often rely on a company or a private WHOIS provider to act on their behalf. However, what has gotten the users concerned in this case is that the presence of their contact information in Epik's data set could falsely portray them as having a connection to Epik when there was none.

"Wonder if there is any legal recourse once can take against [Epik] for harvesting data, and keeping it longer than expected in a cache for individuals who are NOT clients, and have had 0 business dealings with them? Is there a precedent for this?" asked TapEnvy.US, a Texas-based app development shop.

Epik has confirmed the breach and is also emailing the impacted parties about an "unauthorized intrusion," according to screenshots shared by data scientist Emily Gorcenski and cybersecurity expert Adam Sculthorpe:

"As we work to confirm all related details, we are taking an approach toward maximum caution and urging customers to remain alert for any unusual activity they may observe regarding their information used for our services – this may include payment information including credit card numbers, registered names, usernames, emails, and passwords," reads Epik's email notice.

Although the company has not confirmed at this time if credit card information was also compromised, as a caution, users are encouraged to "contact any credit card companies that you used to transact with Epik and notify them of a potential data compromise to discuss your options with them directly."

Previously, an Epik spokesperson had told Ars that the company was not aware of any breach and was investigating the claims.

Users can check if their data has been exposed as a part of this hack at HaveIBeenPwned.com. Those whose contact information was exposed should keep an eye out for any phishing emails and online banking scams.
Hehe.

Ah, that explains the headline I avoided clicking on saying the white house offered Minaj a telephone conversation with their doctors for any questions she may have about covid. Seems the modern misinformation industry is just as contagious and fatal a virus, if not more, than covid.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Well it does function very similarly to Chinese Communist party struggle session or North Korean confession sessions.

Lots of people all yelling for you to confess or express just the views they want.

People weren't offering her information or trying to counter her points, they were yelling and trying to shame her into line. I mean for fucks sakes when it' the Whitehouse offering to have her talk to experts and being the more sane competent party in things I have to wonder what the hell is going wrong.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Well it does function very similarly to Chinese Communist party struggle session or North Korean confession sessions.

Lots of people all yelling for you to confess or express just the views they want.

People weren't offering her information or trying to counter her points, they were yelling and trying to shame her into line. I mean for fucks sakes when it' the Whitehouse offering to have her talk to experts and being the more sane competent party in things I have to wonder what the hell is going wrong.
She is wrong. That's what's wrong

And now, heaps of people think their testicles will explode over taking the vaccine.

THAT WHAT'S WRONG

I can't believe I have to explain this to a real life human

But no, go on about all those mean people

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeah, you and her don't know dick.