Funny events in anti-woke world

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I did. You may want to read more closely. The program already began by addressing myths and misconceptions before this movie. I doubt Sound of Freedom is any less accurate than Taken, and I guarantee they've had misguided volunteers for as long as they've operated.

The movie is supported or opposed because it was made into a political rallying point. That is all. Everything else is rationalization.
Taken got criticized for its inaccuracies as well and I didn't hear about its fans harassing and insulting survivors of advocates against human trafficking.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
While I'm sure there's lots of European countries with old racist traditionals/celebrations, I'd wager that is indeed the one he meant.

By the way, I think Zwarte Piet has in large part been relegated to the bin of history in The Netherlands, and kids (whom this holiday was meant for) really haven't given a shit that he's gone. So much for ruining a childrens holiday by not being "traditional".
It's almost like traditions is just brainwashing, forcing little kids to believe things that aren't natural

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Taken got criticized for its inaccuracies as well and I didn't hear about its fans harassing and insulting survivors of advocates against human trafficking.
Furthermore, Taken is also a political rallying point. There's an old white dude who goes out and saves the sex trafficked (but only if they know them personally) as a one-man army. Because he's that manly

Also, the greatest crime of that movie was thinking that a teenager in 2010 would want to go to a U2 concert

My biggest problem with Sound of Freedom is where the money goes after the movie, whether it's from ticket sales or donations people make to stop sex trafficking. If the money goes to organizations that create problems rather than solve them because they want to be mavericks. See also how wasteful Bill Gates is with his money and how he has caused a lot of problems

I don't care one way or the other about the movie. Being anti-sex trafficking is a good stance. But I dont want people to unintentionally cause sex trafficking

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Right, because nobody cared to dunk on them.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
A very large number of people seem to have children not to bring up entirely new people, but rather to create carbon copies of themselves.
I can't imagine anything so narcissistic yet at the same time, it tracks. Man I hope my kids are NOTHING like me. Like ever.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Right, because nobody cared to dunk on them.
Or maybe because they weren't doing that at all.

The worst behavior I've heard Taken fans participate in is Liam Neeson mentioning that after the first movie, he'd have parents thank him for making a movie that "warned" them of the dangers of sending their kids to Europe, something Neeson himself wasn't thrilled about, especially since he's Irish. But even that pales in comparison to joining an organization meant to combat human trafficking to pick fights with the experts based on myths you picked up from a movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's almost like traditions is just brainwashing, forcing little kids to believe things that aren't natural
I'd like to say no, but that is usually the direction it goes. But then all traditions will eventually be forced to retire; it was also tradition for Zwarte Piet to hit naughty children with bundled branches. I don't know if this actually happened in the past, I certainly never experienced it and I'm 40, though it was in the songs. But they even stopped having him carry it around anymore, because they felt it was a bad look for a child friendly character to walk around with something meant to hit children with. They also changed the songs to get rid of anything that might refer to physical punishment. A thing some people balked at but was quickly accepted.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I genuinely can't comprehend this. And not because it's Trump, but the hero worship of politicians in general. The idea of stanning for someone who would never ever do the same for you is simply unfathomable to me.
People miss having a king or god-emperor to bow before.

More seriously, I wonder if it's because our leaders have to be great people, or we are in deep trouble, and the former is more comforting to cling to.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'd like to say no, but that is usually the direction it goes. But then all traditions will eventually be forced to retire; it was also tradition for Zwarte Piet to hit naughty children with bundled branches. I don't know if this actually happened in the past, I certainly never experienced it and I'm 40, though it was in the songs. But they even stopped having him carry it around anymore, because they felt it was a bad look for a child friendly character to walk around with something meant to hit children with. They also changed the songs to get rid of anything that might refer to physical punishment. A thing some people balked at but was quickly accepted.
Why do you think they routinely start their trainings by acknowledging a list of myths and misconceptions? Because people were joining based on misconceptions already.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Why do you think they routinely start their trainings by acknowledging a list of myths and misconceptions? Because people were joining based on misconceptions already.
No, some joined to combat sex trafficking and some joined because of misconceptions. But Sound of Freedom fans joined to talk over experts and survivors.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

More seriously, I wonder if it's because our leaders have to be great people, or we are in deep trouble, and the former is more comforting to cling to.
I mean, we actually have a king and the only bowing I'd ever be inclined to is to spit on it after it's on the ground from having the boot put to it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I genuinely can't comprehend this. And not because it's Trump, but the hero worship of politicians in general. The idea of stanning for someone who would never ever do the same for you is simply unfathomable to me.

Because bitches want other bitches-in-a-box stand to protect them, and only them, thinking they'll be covered/be made the true exception while others will be left to rot in the dust. Not realizing that they're all expendable.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I mean, we actually have a king and the only bowing I'd ever be inclined to is to spit on it after it's on the ground from having the boot put to it.
True.

OTOH, if Charles the Third, by the Grace of God King of Australia and His other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth wants my support, raising an army and going after the Q Queen of Canada for high treason would be a good start.

Likewise, when libertarians rose Minerva island from the depths of their sea to practice their wickedness on, it adds a little something that King Taufaʻahau Tupou IV personally led the group to chase them away.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, some joined to combat sex trafficking and some joined because of misconceptions. But Sound of Freedom fans joined to talk over experts and survivors.
Again, you may want to read the article more closely. "One potential volunteer" did that.

At the same time, an activist/survivor says
“We have been here in this very spot in the anti-trafficking movement for over 20 years,” he told Motherboard. “We’ve been fighting for 20 years for the appropriate ways to talk about trafficking, the ways we should be centering survivors, in order for us to be moving forward in a way that’s evidence based, not assumptions based.”
Now, the online discourse is a totally different story, but again, it's all political. Like, someone saying they've gotten backlash for pointing out inaccuracies doesn't carry any water when their description of events is:
“When fans of the QAnon movie called me a pedophile because I dared to criticize how the film did not hire any survivors to help write the script or consult, I spent an hour crying,” said Sabra Boyd, a journalist, consultant, and child labor and sex trafficking survivor.
Like, no. She didn't face backlash because she thought it was a poor depiction of sex trafficking. She faced backlash because:
A) She considers it "the QAnon movie".
B) She's a writer/survivor/consultant upset they didn't consult any survivors when writing the script. There may be a conflict of interest there, lol.