Funny events in anti-woke world

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
And it's pretty clear that that list wasn't just purchasing information, it was a list of games featuring LGBTQ+ and black people to be avoided. That's spreading racism and bigotry under a very weak guise.
Then why isn't the Miles Morales game not on the list if it's just about avoiding games with black characters in it?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I have no idea what possessed her to admit this. Isn't murdering animals illegal? But more importantly I'm pretty sure that the average voter loves dogs so admitting you get off on murdering dogs seems like a vote loser.
"I'm ready to kill" is a pretty powerful message to supporters of a wanna-be dictator. If she'd said it was an illegal immigrant instead of a dog, I'm sure Trump's minions would be applauding.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
it was a list of games featuring LGBTQ+ and black people to be avoided.
It was a list of games SBI was involved in, and only games SBI was involved in. Again, there are also curators for "woke" games in general and they tend to be much more extensive than merely games SBI was involved in. They've also been around longer.

For example, https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44849828-Is-It-Woke/#browse or https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44690208-Woke-and-Censored-Games-Alert/#browse

What strange logic. Hey, most staff/dev names are just in the credits, too-- they must be hiding their involvement until after we've bought the product!! :mad::mad:
If I made a curator list of games that, say, Goichi Suda worked on, even if I tagged them not recommended no one would bat an eye. Also, I don't generally have to jump through hoops to find out say Goichi Suda, Hideo Kojima, Yoko Taro, or Kazutaka Kodaka was involved (or anyone else big enough to be a well known name) or who the dev team or publisher is. Most of the time it's not hard to find out what engine the game is built on, if it's built on a major one.

You might have to jump through hoops to find out if a rootkit anti-cheat or Denuvo is involved, but that's because the devs and publishers both know that end users see them as a negative. There's a certain similarity there.

There is a curator list for games that use Denuvo. Other than the "woke" angle that is essentially the same thing as SBI detected - a list targeting a single company to encourage/give people the ability to avoid games involving that company. There are a couple more for EAC and rootkit anti-cheats in general.

Reactions: Satinavian

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If I made a curator list of games that, say, Goichi Suda worked on, even if I tagged them not recommended no one would bat an eye. Also, I don't generally have to jump through hoops to find out say Goichi Suda, Hideo Kojima, Yoko Taro, or Kazutaka Kodaka was involved (or anyone else big enough to be a well known name) or who the dev team or publisher is. Most of the time it's not hard to find out what engine the game is built on, if it's built on a major one.
Those are major decision makers that actually have significant and blatant decision making power for games they work on. SBI does not. It's a bunch of gamers baying for the job of Greg under the misapprehension that Greg is why all these games are woke now. I personally don't like it when gamers try to scapegoat essentially random people for why a bad micro-transaction live-service AAA looter-shooter comes out. It's pathetic
You might have to jump through hoops to find out if a rootkit anti-cheat or Denuvo is involved, but that's because the devs and publishers both know that end users see them as a negative. There's a certain similarity there.

There is a curator list for games that use Denuvo. Other than the "woke" angle that is essentially the same thing as SBI detected - a list targeting a single company to encourage/give people the ability to avoid games involving that company. There are a couple more for EAC and rootkit anti-cheats in general.
These things have legitimate computer security and performance concerns. Like, if Helldivers 2's anti-cheat gets exploited, then that's an exploit with kernel level access to hundreds of thousands of computers. I, personally, don't think there's much of a threat, but it's a legitimate concern.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wrong direction to look at it, he's talking about games from western devs getting near to carte-blanche regarding sex and sexuality if they're remotely big at all while games localized from East Asia get that stuff tamped down for western releases.
Games from Japan and other parts of East Asia tend to fall afoul of laws regarding the sexualisation of minors either directly or by subtext.

Out of the list of refused classification games by Australia for example, one of the common listed reasons is “Banned because of interactive sexual activity involving a person who is, or appears to be, a child under 18 years.”

Western Devs aren’t getting a full on pass; they’re just not stupid enough to (usually) to make it possible to sex up underage characters or make their adult characters look underage.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Was she just too lazy to take it to a shelter? Like if it won't cooperate with training, I can understand not wanting to keep trying to work with it as a hunting dog after a point (sometimes an animal is just not a good fit for the task at hand) but she could have easily taken it to a shelter.
Alarmingly, it seems mostly she was just angry with it. So she shot it dead.

Likewise the goat. Even worse, she fluffed up shooting the goat and had to go back to her truck to get some more shotgun shells to finish the job, during which time the goat was almost certainly in severe distress.

Whilst I accept that farm animals are a business in way that demands significantly less sentimentality than pets, this paints a remarkably unflattering portrait of Kristi Noem - although rescuable if it could be couched in terms of regret and learning experience. However, from the evidence I have seen she is touting it as willingness to make tough decisions, so I cannot help but wonder about how that attitude might apply to her as a leader. What humans might she take round the back to dispose of because she's fed up and it's an easy option?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Because Sweet Baby Inc. wasn't hired for that game.

I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there.
But you said "it was a list of games featuring LGBTQ+ and black people to be avoided. That's spreading racism and bigotry under a very weak guise."

Yet it seems like the gamer in question doesn't have a problem with minorities, which is what you claimed.

"And?"

Exactly, why do you guys care so much? What is so different at people being upset at forced white male with short hair protagonists than people being upset at forced minority inclusion? It's literally the same complaint yet in one instance, it's applauded and in another, it's 'fuck that guy'.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
But you said "it was a list of games featuring LGBTQ+ and black people to be avoided. That's spreading racism and bigotry under a very weak guise."

Yet it seems like the gamer in question doesn't have a problem with minorities, which is what you claimed.
So outside of avoiding diversity and inclusion, why was the list made?

"And?"

Exactly, why do you guys care so much? What is so different at people being upset at forced white male with short hair protagonists than people being upset at forced minority inclusion? It's literally the same complaint yet in one instance, it's applauded and in another, it's 'fuck that guy'.
It's almost like the answer is in the question, what with you refering to one side as the minority.

And yes, fuck that guy.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If I made a curator list of games that, say, Goichi Suda worked on, even if I tagged them not recommended no one would bat an eye.
They absolutely would. That'd be just as weirdly hostile and obsessive.

Also, I don't generally have to jump through hoops to find out say Goichi Suda, Hideo Kojima, Yoko Taro, or Kazutaka Kodaka was involved (or anyone else big enough to be a well known name) or who the dev team or publisher is. Most of the time it's not hard to find out what engine the game is built on, if it's built on a major one.

Bollocks. You don't need to 'jump through hoops' for the involvement of this minor consultancy, either; most of their projects are right there on their website.

But in the project itself, their involvement is exactly where you find the involvement of almost everyone else: the credits. That's not suspicious, and you're jumping at shadows.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
To avoid DEI...
Yep. The new woke, the new CRT, the new racist dogwhistle.

So minorities aren't minorities?
Yes, they're minorities, meaning the other (white male) is the majority. Even in the year 2023 when all games have gone woke, the majority still feature a white guy as the protagonist. Meaning being white is still seen as the default. "Forcing" some minority representation in an industry where the default is white and straight is NOT the same as forcing white and straight to remain the default. Even in the oh so woke Alan Wake 2 and Spider-Man 2 the "forced" black characters had to share the main spotlight with a white character.

Reactions: Cicada 5

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The dumbest part about this "argument" is that even if we meet these idiots halfway and pretend their version of DEI is being forced on innocent developers by nefarious investment firms and (((globalist bankers)))...

It's still basically fucking nothing. A handful of female characters who aren't supermodels, the occasional minority protagonist, a lesbian kiss here or there, some pride flags now and then, some lace on a bunny suit...

Some conspiracy, and entirely reliant on thinking devs are lying about their artistic intent at every opportunity.

'Cause, like, *obviously* a developer making a Spider-Man game would have to be strong-armed into using decades old, very popular, recent star of extremely well-received movie Miles Morales in their game

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Exactly, why do you guys care so much? What is so different at people being upset at forced white male with short hair protagonists than people being upset at forced minority inclusion?
What a convenient, impossible to prove definition based entirely on vibes that happens to include a wide variety of disparate games with no tangible correlation

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
My favorite example of forced DEI on that bloke's DEIdetected site is Tales of Kenzera Zau, a game inspired Bantu culture created by Abubakar Salim, a Brit of Kenyan descent looking to process the grief of losing his Kenyan father to lymphoma, and explore his heritage, spurred on by his experiences with tribal groups while filming Raised by Wolves in South Africa

But SBI was involved in some way, so I'm sure they forced him.