Funny events in anti-woke world

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I'm also going to point out here that comics reinvent their characters all the fucking time: I doubt they bother to run a fan focus group first. Although in mitigation, the average comic book writer/artist is probably well-versed in the backhistory of the character they're writing for, which is much less likely for a scriptwriter/director.
Yes but

- this is not only or even primarily about comics

- that comics do this is one of the reason they still are considered stuff for children without any lore worth exploring seriously.

Honestly, i am not a comic fan. Because they generally are way too shallow and pulpy for me. And elsewhere, when new products in established franchises are produced, i prefer if they don't contradict established canon and worldbuilding - they are free to expand, but rewriting just hurts my immersion, pushes me back into the role of viewer/reader in the real world and limits my engagement and enjoyment.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
(Thanos' motivation in the MCU was kinda dumb and short sighted, but still better than "I'm horny for the personification of Death and want to impress her by doing galactic scale mass murder").
Hilarious counterpoint: every big comic nerd I know vehemently disagrees, which is very funny considering the argument currently happening

I mean, c'mon: does that honestly make less sense than a lifetime of struggle where apparently nobody asked if he could just expand universal resources?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Hilarious counterpoint: every big comic nerd I know vehemently disagrees, which is very funny considering the argument currently happening

I mean, c'mon: does that honestly make less sense than a lifetime of struggle where apparently nobody asked if he could just expand universal resources?
Mind you I'm not saying either was a good motivation - just that what they went with was marginally less dumb than "I have the hots for Death and want to make a grand gesture so senpai will notice me!" It wasn't a *good* motivation and it demonstrates that he's utterly incapable of understanding population growth, but I'd always thought the motivation in the original comic arc was painfully dumb.

Reactions: bluegate

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
As Jesus said when he cleansed the Temple: "Life is a grift from god. Close your eyes and pay up, bitches."
You mean those Bibles that Oklahoma tried to put an order in for 55,000 copies (until someone noticed and the order was quickly amended)?

Reactions: Satinavian

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
As Jesus said when he cleansed the Temple: "Life is a grift from god. Close your eyes and pay up, bitches."
Is this from the Republican Bible where Jesus threw the poor out of the Temple because they were bothering the moneychangers?

You mean those Bibles that Oklahoma tried to put an order in for 55,000 copies (until someone noticed and the order was quickly amended)?
One and the same, I believe. Funneling taxpayer money to Trump and forcing religion on people is a good one-two Republican combo.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
One and the same, I believe. Funneling taxpayer money to Trump and forcing religion on people is a good one-two Republican combo.
Holy scripture, writ divine
Leather bound at one and nine*
Satan trembles when he sees
Bibles sold as cheap as these

Or, get the state to fork out a fortune for really expensive Bibles!

* One shilling and nine pence in old British money, i.e. 21p.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The problem with current comic book movies isn't that they aren't being faithful enough to the source material. It's the fact that they've recreated all the problems of comics in cinema form.

Introducing the multiverse into the movie universe means that none of the stories matter anymore and the lore is entirely disposable.

What keeps a lot of people away from comics is how disposable the stories and continuities are. Each character has 50 different variations from 100 different authors, and whatever is considered the correct canon is just whatever the current run is...unless people don't like it in which case the correct canon is either whatever the last thing people liked was or whatever happened in the 80s and 90s.

And the best version of every character is whatever happened back when you were a kid because that's when you actually cared and made it part of your personality.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
The problem with current comic book movies isn't that they aren't being faithful enough to the source material. It's the fact that they've recreated all the problems of comics in cinema form.

Introducing the multiverse into the movie universe means that none of the stories matter anymore and the lore is entirely disposable.

What keeps a lot of people away from comics is how disposable the stories and continuities are. Each character has 50 different variations from 100 different authors, and whatever is considered the correct canon is just whatever the current run is...unless people don't like it in which case the correct canon is either whatever the last thing people liked was or whatever happened in the 80s and 90s.

And the best version of every character is whatever happened back when you were a kid because that's when you actually cared and made it part of your personality.
Yes, exactly.

And you really don't want to get the same problems everywhere else as well.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Look at the various recent Star Trek endeavors and how being at odds with the fandom hurts income. Or how the super expensive Rings of Power series struggles.
Not a Star Trek guy but Rings of Powers has major issues, most of which aren't remotely related to its fidelity to the source material. The problem with RoP is that it's a bloated, visually boring and nonsensically written mess that has too many plotlines with almost no likeable characters in which barely anything happens and most of what does happen is stupid, only to squeeze five seasons out of a story that we already know the end of.

Contradicting the canon backstory, while no doubt annoying to people familiar with it, is the absolute least of its issues.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Counterpoint: personal anecdotal observation, lots of girls seem to love the modern takes on Harley Quinn. Strange as it may sound, fanboys may not be the audience they're actually targeting with sexy alternative Harley.
I'd argue that's down to the direction they took Harley in as a character resonating with them, but the costume from Suicide Squad costume also much, much easier to replicate than her DCAU one so I don't blame the cosplayers/models for gravitating towards it.

Reactions: tstorm823

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

I sort of agree, but I don't think the multiverse is the issue. Into the Spiderverse and Across the Spiderverse were based around the comic multiversal idea, and they were absolutely excellent and broadly well received.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I sort of agree, but I don't think the multiverse is the issue. Into the Spiderverse and Across the Spiderverse were based around the comic multiversal idea, and they were absolutely excellent and broadly well received.
It is and isn't the issue. There's nothing wrong with the concept itself, but the MCU has already made people sick to death of it. Even Across the Spider-Verse started creating links to other superhero movies for the sake of triggering the audience in thinking 'Aw man, what if...'

The multiverse can work in a stand-alone movie or a trilogy, but when you use it to tie together multiple series of movies and TV shows it just becomes a big bloated fanservice affair.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Pretty sure Jesus would be weeping, or at least really frowning, at something like this. Maybe Trump needs to repent!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Sure, but the Spider-verse movies are at least still self-contained.

They don't expect you to have seen and be familiar with every single adaptation of Spider-man that has ever existed, and it's all focusing on variations of a single character, which all generally have the same back-story.

The DC and Marvel cinematic universes expect audiences to be familiar with hundreds of different characters to build hype for the movies.

Why is the current crop of Marvel movies falling flat? Because normal people don't know who Kang the Conqueror is and they don't want to sit through 4 movies and 3 seasons of TV shows to find out why they should be excited that there's going to be a cross-over between him and the Avengers.

It's the same problem that comic books have. They love to build hype for big crossover events, but in order for the readers to be excited for the crossover they need to know who the hell these characters are.

Now add in the multiverse, the fact that the character the audience just watched 4 movies and 3 seasons of TV shows about might not even BE the character that appears in the crossover because of wacky multiverse shenanigans and it's no wonder that audiences find this nonsense exhausting.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Sure, but the Spider-verse movies are at least still self-contained.

They don't expect you to have seen and be familiar with every single adaptation of Spider-man that has ever existed, and it's all focusing on variations of a single character, which all generally have the same back-story.

The DC and Marvel cinematic universes expect audiences to be familiar with hundreds of different characters to build hype for the movies.

Why is the current crop of Marvel movies falling flat? Because normal people don't know who Kang the Conqueror is and they don't want to sit through 4 movies and 3 seasons of TV shows to find out why they should be excited that there's going to be a cross-over between him and the Avengers.

It's the same problem that comic books have. They love to build hype for big crossover events, but in order for the readers to be excited for the crossover they need to know who the hell these characters are.

Now add in the multiverse, the fact that the character the audience just watched 4 movies and 3 seasons of TV shows about might not even BE the character that appears in the crossover because of wacky multiverse shenanigans and it's no wonder that audiences find this nonsense exhausting.
To add to this, my brother said he doesn't have much interest in ever watching Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness even though he loves Doctor Strange. Why? Because he knows that to really understand it as much as he can, he'll need to at least watch WandaVision as well, and in his words "I shouldn't need to do homework to watch a movie."

Reactions: Mister Mumbler