Funny events in anti-woke world

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly that's how it usually works. Like what is the UK going to do if Novo Nordisk goes under for some reason?
Form a contract with similar stipulations with another company, I would imagine, though they would probably bail it out before that. But no, Novo Nordisk does not operate without oversight or regulation. They wouldn't be maintaining such a surplus if they did.

It makes a world of difference based on your argument.
My argument does not require elected representatives to be career politicians. I'd generally prefer they weren't, in fact, though I would want members of the Cabinet to have broad political experience.

Glad to know climate change is just one of those things that happens, no worries.
Lol, nice twisting of my argument. Suffice it to say I do not believe the national response to climate change would be better under direct democracy. People have demonstrated their unwillingness to adapt their behaviour time and time again, and personal convenience matters more to most than sustainability or responsibility.

People may respond to polls in support of the broad principle of renewable energy. But they'll also steadfastly refuse to live near windfarms or accept higher taxes to fund it. Remember what I said before, about how you can word the same question in different ways in a national poll, and get completely different results?

That seems to be all of them, from what I can tell.
No, the vast majority of elected representatives are not wilfully spreading Covid misinformation. New Zealand has experienced... what, 28 deaths in all?

Give people access to those advisory groups and suddenly that's not a problem anymore. What you've really been arguing this whole time is that elected representatives are better at listening to advisors, which is also laughable.
Give people access to those advisory groups, and almost nobody will bother to go to them. In truth, most detail on the votes in the Commons is all publicly accessible. Yet people simply do not bother to read it. People don't check how their MP voted. People don't read the proposals. Hell, plenty of NGOs do publish their reports, and the public do not read them. The overwhelming majority of the public do not bother to even access the information that they do have access to on the political votes/ process.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Technically not hacked, since both the first and second test site basically had zero security and anyone could access it to create an account for whatever they wanted.
Of course, the real kicker would be that the account was actually real and lil' Donny just posted a summer vacation pic or whatever.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Remember when Trump put in 300 judges around the country over the course of his administration

It's already happening
Well, yes, that much is known, but at the time most of us had the naive assumption that the next election would be accepted by most republicans if Trump lost, even if he didn't accept it himself. The extent of the brainwashing his followers have presented now is unprecedented in the modern era of politics and is frankly quite frightening to see continue in real time, along with financial and ideological backing by powerful psychotic individuals and institutions to keep them fed and motivated to God knows what actions we've yet to look forward to.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Form a contract with similar stipulations with another company, I would imagine, though they would probably bail it out before that. But no, Novo Nordisk does not operate without oversight or regulation. They wouldn't be maintaining such a surplus if they did.
Novo Nordisk isn't a UK company, the UK can't provide oversight to them. There are only 3 companies in the west that produce insulin, all three are contracted by the UK to provide their insulin (along with everyone else's) and none of them are in the UK or have production facilities within the UK. You import 100% of your insulin from foreign private companies. If one of them goes under or is for any reason unable to fulfill their contract, you're hosed.

My argument does not require elected representatives to be career politicians. I'd generally prefer they weren't, in fact, though I would want members of the Cabinet to have broad political experience.
Cool, then I don't see why you object to direct democracy.

Lol, nice twisting of my argument. Suffice it to say I do not believe the national response to climate change would be better under direct democracy. People have demonstrated their unwillingness to adapt their behaviour time and time again, and personal convenience matters more to most than sustainability or responsibility.

People may respond to polls in support of the broad principle of renewable energy. But they'll also steadfastly refuse to live near windfarms or accept higher taxes to fund it. Remember what I said before, about how you can word the same question in different ways in a national poll, and get completely different results?
You are correct. When policy is explained straightforward it is popular, when it's explained intentionally poorly, it does poorly, who knew?

No, the vast majority of elected representatives are not wilfully spreading Covid misinformation. New Zealand has experienced... what, 28 deaths in all?
I actually meant the unrepresentative part. Though I will always say, be careful in using a low population island country as a point of data in a pandemic. Not saying they handled COVID poorly or anything, but still.

Give people access to those advisory groups, and almost nobody will bother to go to them. In truth, most detail on the votes in the Commons is all publicly accessible. Yet people simply do not bother to read it. People don't check how their MP voted. People don't read the proposals. Hell, plenty of NGOs do publish their reports, and the public do not read them. The overwhelming majority of the public do not bother to even access the information that they do have access to on the political votes/ process.
Because right now reading them does nothing. People don't have any sort of direct voice and trusting politicians to keep promises is a meme. There's no incentive to read reports, and even following raw voting records can be misleading.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Remember when Trump put in 300 judges around the country over the course of his administration

It's already happening
Yes, and I also remember when conservatives went absolutely apeshit over a Democrat being elected President, started forcing Republican legislators to actually live up to campaign promises and primary the ones who wouldn't, turned out en masse and flipped both House and Senate from previously "filibuster-proof" supermajorities. And replicated those results on state, county, and municipal levels.

And in the course of doing so, managed to nominate and even elect some weapons-grade dipshits who believed gunning down dissenters was not just proper but necessary, and that pregnancy resulting from sexual assault and predation shouldn't be banned because God intended it to happen.

Yeah, that was 2010.

And I remember the Democrat that got elected President before that, conservatives went so apeshit they broke 40-year Democratic majorities in both branches. And tried to ban abortion nationwide, making significant headway in it. And it launched a nationwide spiral of violent conservative lunacy that culminated in the bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City.

That was 1994.

Trump ain't the problem. He's a symptom to be sure, but the problem he isn't.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It seems Trump's laziness, mendacity and penchant for hiring unqualified shitheels has surfaced again. The source code for his Truth Social platform was allegedly ripped off from Mastodon.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgm5k/truth-social-is-mastodon-trump

Mastodon does use an open-source code, but with caveats including giving credit and attribution to the original creators. As is typical, Trump has bypassed all that in his effort to create a MAGA knockoff of Twitter.

So once again, Trump enters a market with no foreknowledge, markets a product somebody already makes but worse, and stamps his name on it. All that's left is for the usual mismanagement and inevitable declaration of bankruptcy.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Remember when we were all making fun of China for being super-dictatorial and demanding that men be "manly"? Texas saw that and thought "I like the cut of their jib."

Mastodon does use an open-source code, but with caveats including giving credit and attribution to the original creators. As is typical, Trump has bypassed all that in his effort to create a MAGA knockoff of Twitter.
Trump is utterly incapable of giving credit to others when he can claim it all for himself.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So this happened and this isn't just the Guardian reporting this either. And while I hate to signal boost idiots this'll get remarked on eventually.

I don't really know if she's jesting or this is just another Freedom Loving Conservative looking for an excuse to beat someone else with the American Freedom Stick because she's triggered. "You're not free enough for me, so we should subjugate you to make you free! You'll learn to appreciate Freedom when we take yours away!"

I mean, the fact she mentions about spending billions and 2 decades to lose in Iraq then to go on a rant about invading another democracy makes me wonder if she's just fucking insane or stupid or just doesn't know what argument she's trying to make?

I guess the real question I should be asking is: How do I get paid to say stupid shit all day like her and her buddies(Tucky Bucky and his ilk)?

Trump is utterly incapable of giving credit to others when he can claim it all for himself.
What I find deliciously ironic is that he apparently wants credit for the Covid Vaccine but he completely squandered that by spending months and months ranting about the "Stolen Election" instead and now the same people who actually want to listen to him talk are the same people who distrust the vaccine.

Talk about kicking yourself in the balls just for the sake of being petty.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So this happened and this isn't just the Guardian reporting this either. And while I hate to signal boost idiots this'll get remarked on eventually.

I don't really know if she's jesting or this is just another Freedom Loving Conservative looking for an excuse to beat someone else with the American Freedom Stick because she's triggered. "You're not free enough for me, so we should subjugate you to make you free! You'll learn to appreciate Freedom when we take yours away!"

I mean, the fact she mentions about spending billions and 2 decades to lose in Iraq then to go on a rant about invading another democracy makes me wonder if she's just fucking insane or stupid or just doesn't know what argument she's trying to make?
Would now be a good time to point out Australia is currently being run by a Conservative government federally? And in at least a couple of states?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Would now be a good time to point out Australia is currently being run by a Conservative government federally? And in at least a couple of states?
Pretty sure that to American right wingers that just makes them slightly less commie then they would be otherwise.

After all, Australia has universal healthcare and that's basically Communism right there. I'm not even joking a lot of America right wingers see it that way

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pretty sure that to American right wingers that just makes them slightly less commie then they would be otherwise.

After all, Australia has universal healthcare and that's basically Communism right there. I'm not even joking a lot of America right wingers see it that way
It's true. We live in a country where even duck-beaver hybrids can kill you, and the damn grubberment won't let us have guns. :(

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
See, if the government let the citizens have unfettered access to guns, then the citizens could shoot cops and none of that would be happening, back the blue!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It's true. We live in a country where even duck-beaver hybrids can kill you, and the damn grubberment won't let us have guns. :(
*Don't mention the Emu War, Don't mention the Emu War*

So, how about those rabbits and the fences that contain the rabbits? Pretty crazy, eh?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
See, if the government let the citizens have unfettered access to guns, then the citizens could shoot cops and none of that would be happening, back the blue!
Remember the time of the Black Panther who policed the streets and did a better job generally. And then the second amendment somehow wasn't that important

Reactions: Mister Mumbler