Funny events in anti-woke world

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
So this happened and this isn't just the Guardian reporting this either. And while I hate to signal boost idiots this'll get remarked on eventually.

To any conservatives here; would you like to explain exactly HOW to do that and make it work?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's not a serious suggestion.
She just likes to talk about invading our allies for funsies. Which gives you a good idea what kind of person she is.

Then again, she's a Trump Supporter so she no doubt learned from the best. Someone's only your friend until they piss you off, then they're worthy of being kicked to the curb and pretending you never knew them.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Someone's only your friend until they piss you off, then they're worthy of being kicked to the curb and pretending you never knew them.
That's actually a pretty apt description of Candace Owen's professional history.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Heroic truth telling computer science professor resigns from evil cancel culture liberal university all because he...argued that age of consent should start at 13 and that women should have different educations from men, among other things

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Heroic truth telling computer science professor resigns from evil cancel culture liberal university all because he...argued that age of consent should start at 13 and that women should have different educations from men, among other things

Age of consent, no.

Different education? Maybe.

Before people get mad remember I did teacher training here lol. I read through a lot of theory books on education theory and there are arguments about men and women learning different with pushes in some subjects (Often STEM) to try and change lessons to appeal to what it's been determined are methods and approaches that women find better according to various studies (my personal opinion is they have dubious worth but that's another can of worms). The issue being some of the methods are one men find less effective for their learning.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Age of consent, no.

Different education? Maybe.

Before people get mad remember I did teacher training here lol. I read through a lot of theory books on education theory and there are arguments about men and women learning different with pushes in some subjects (Often STEM) to try and change lessons to appeal to what it's been determined are methods and approaches that women find better according to various studies (my personal opinion is they have dubious worth but that's another can of worms). The issue being some of the methods are one men find less effective for their learning.
Naw, that ain't it
In one blog post, Smith wrote: “One false idea widely promoted is that girls should experience the same kind of education as boys. Many reasons are given for this. Here is the reality: If you follow that advice, in addition to all the challenges women face in finding a husband worth marrying and learning the difficult lessons needed to be a good mother (all of which they will have to do with many years less preparation due to filling that time with vocational training and/or working), you are creating an almost insurmountable barrier of forcing your daughter to choose between the quick-and-easy reward of what tend to be simple jobs that women take and the hedonistic pleasure that money buys and the long haul, mundane role of a wife and mother.”

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
you are creating an almost insurmountable barrier of forcing your daughter to choose between the quick-and-easy reward of what tend to be simple jobs that women take and the hedonistic pleasure that money buys and the long haul, mundane role of a wife and mother.”
Hey genius; when you put it like THAT, what's any young woman with half a brain going to do?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Buncha white dudes getting together to try and ban the words "white fragility" is it's own goddamned joke
I have some comments:
Even if you think Patriarchy didn't exist now, it very much existed before
Unconscious bias? Not much self awareness hey, guys
Multiculturalism. The greatest of evils
Thank goodness they banned woke. The only people who really use is it conservatives so they can insult progressives
Is diversity okay by itself or does it have to be said with those other words

All in all. Exactly what I expected out of people shouting, 'Free Speech.' No understanding of Free Speech

Reactions: Buyetyen

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Novo Nordisk isn't a UK company, the UK can't provide oversight to them. There are only 3 companies in the west that produce insulin, all three are contracted by the UK to provide their insulin (along with everyone else's) and none of them are in the UK or have production facilities within the UK. You import 100% of your insulin from foreign private companies. If one of them goes under or is for any reason unable to fulfill their contract, you're hosed.
18 weeks' worth of insulin is stockpiled in the UK. They maintain a significant surplus, and will be doing so specifically because of contractual commitments. If the UK government implements a regulation, contractors must fulfil it in order to keep the contract, regardless of whether they're a UK-based company or an overseas one.

Without government regulation, what happens? Are we to believe overseas private drug companies would maintain a costly surplus in the UK out of the goodness of their hearts? They have zero public responsibility to the UK population.

You are correct. When policy is explained straightforward it is popular, when it's explained intentionally poorly, it does poorly, who knew?
"Explained intentionally poorly" =/= "explained with detail, rather than as a broad question of principle".

I actually meant the unrepresentative part. Though I will always say, be careful in using a low population island country as a point of data in a pandemic. Not saying they handled COVID poorly or anything, but still.
Countries utilising FPTP, or in the thrall of two-party systems (such as the UK and US) tend to veer towards unrepresentative governments. But there are degrees. I would say that AV/ PR-based systems have returned generally pretty representative governments quite a few times.

Because right now reading them does nothing. People don't have any sort of direct voice and trusting politicians to keep promises is a meme. There's no incentive to read reports, and even following raw voting records can be misleading.
Reading them absolutely does not "do nothing". You read how representatives have voted, what they stand for, and vote in the election along those lines. It is complete nonsense to imagine that all politicians lie & renege on promises to the same degrees, unless you want to tell me that Sanders and Trump are exactly as worthy and reliable as one another. Or Corbyn and Johnson. These differences are night-and-day.

People have been given a choice with significant, real-world import, and most don't bother to properly look into it before they put their X next to a name. It's not healthy scepticism.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
18 weeks' worth of insulin is stockpiled in the UK. They maintain a significant surplus, and will be doing so specifically because of contractual commitments. If the UK government implements a regulation, contractors must fulfil it in order to keep the contract, regardless of whether they're a UK-based company or an overseas one.

Without government regulation, what happens? Are we to believe overseas private drug companies would maintain a costly surplus in the UK out of the goodness of their hearts? They have zero public responsibility to the UK population.
It's amazing how you make "We bought extra" sound like some big coup of government oversight. You bought extra, that's not oversight, that's you buying extra. And if one of your insulin providers stops providing, or even slows down for an extended period, you'll be left in a lurch. You have no control over these people. If they can't fulfill their contract you could sue them, but that won't get you insulin if there's some issue. If the company goes under there's nobody to sue and a third of your insulin supply just poofed. You could go to the other two companies, but they're having to pick up the slack for more than just the UK and if the NHS hands them a contract to expand, they can just say they can't and there's not a damn thing the UK can do.

This is what I mean when I say the government doesn't maintain a supply chain. Unless a product, from gathering raw materials to putting the product in the end user's hands, is managed directly by government officials, the government can't say they maintain that supply chain.

"Explained intentionally poorly" =/= "explained with detail, rather than as a broad question of principle".
No it's invariably stupid ways to phrase policy, like asking people if they're okay with losing their private insurance and framing it as people against M4A.

Countries utilising FPTP, or in the thrall of two-party systems (such as the UK and US) tend to veer towards unrepresentative governments. But there are degrees. I would say that AV/ PR-based systems have returned generally pretty representative governments quite a few times.
If we stick to degrees, they are usually better than the UK/US. But if we're going by degrees, direct democracy would be even more representative. Which means, by definition, even those systems are unrepresentative on some level.

Reading them absolutely does not "do nothing". You read how representatives have voted, what they stand for, and vote in the election along those lines. It is complete nonsense to imagine that all politicians lie & renege on promises to the same degrees, unless you want to tell me that Sanders and Trump are exactly as worthy and reliable as one another. Or Corbyn and Johnson. These differences are night-and-day.

People have been given a choice with significant, real-world import, and most don't bother to properly look into it before they put their X next to a name. It's not healthy scepticism.
Voting records are not a reliable method of understanding a politician. The most recent (and admittedly forgivable) example was a recent vote in the US senate on a bipartisan voting rights bill. Chuck Schumber supported it from beginning to end, but then voted against it. Less forgivable examples are abound and it's very easy to look at the voting record of a given politician and come to a completely different opinion of their policies than they actually have.