Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Let's not forget the third name Gervais mentioned, Kevin Hart. Who...wasn't cancelled at all? He voluntarily stepped down from the Oscars gig, and that was literally the end of it.
Didn't he get some kinda backlash for gay jokes or something? Usually when you "step down" someone had a talk with you lol.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Didn't he get some kinda backlash for gay jokes or something? Usually when you "step down" someone had a talk with you lol.
It was for a Twitter joke he said in 2009. It was basically a joke that involved, if my son were gay type thing. I honestly forgot the joke even existed until the backlash happened in the mid 2010s, and people were going too far with it. I was never offended at the joe, but I didn't care much for it either. Kevin Hart's an okay guy and is at least creative and tries different things. I don't like a lot of this old comedies though. A lot of the stereotypical loud black man that gets obnoxious. His stand-ups are fine. He has definitely grown as a creator and person. He's gotten way more serious and has explained and shown that blacks are more than just loud negative stereotypes. I praise and respect him for that. It worked wonders for him. I'm glad he went into filmmaking and directing. Definitely paying off.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebobmaster

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It was for a Twitter joke he said in 2009. It was basically a joke that involved, if my son were gay type thing. I honestly forgot the joke even existed until the backlash happened in the mid 2010s, and people were going too far with it. I was never offended at the joe, but I didn't care much for it either. Kevin Hart's an okay guy and is at least creative and tries different things. I don't like a lot of this old comedies though. A lot of the stereotypical loud black man that gets obnoxious. His stand-ups are fine. He has definitely grown as a creator and person. He's gotten way more serious and has explained and shown that lacks are more than just loud negative stereotypes. I praise and respect him for that. It worked wonders for him. I'm glad he went into filmmaking and directing. Definitely paying off.
Yeah from the little I've seen of him, he was on Rogan once, he seemed like a thoughtful guy, not really mean-spirited at all. I never cared much for his films but he never seemed to stand out negatively either. Back in 2009 that kind of joke was totally common so I think people just lack context. Also I like how he plays with him being short and turns it into a positive for comedy, I remember him and the Rock doing a thing together which was pretty funny.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah from the little I've seen of him, he was on Rogan once, he seemed like a thoughtful guy, not really mean-spirited at all. I never cared much for his films but he never seemed to stand out negatively either. Back in 2009 that kind of joke was totally common so I think people just lack context. Also I like how he plays with him being short and turns it into a positive for comedy, I remember him and the Rock doing a thing together which was pretty funny.
That's what bothers me so much about people going overboard with the backlash. I'm saying, "Okay, how come you're not going after all these other people that told the same, similar, or worse jokes during that same year or the year before?". That is how Keyboard Warriors work. They only go after easy targets and act like they're accomplishing something, when they're not doing anything of relevance nor helping out with the overall situation.

The movie you're thinking of Central Intelligence. It's basically a better version of the Ride Along movies. I still have no interest in seeing it, because I always thought I could be watching something better.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

Every now and again I'll consider getting back into performing stand up comedy and then i'll remember that I couldn't bear to have to hang around comedians again. They are just the most mediocre, overly sensitive group of "artists" with a wildly inflated ego.

You can't simultaneously believe your stand up set can fight oppression but also it's only jokes and no one should take it seriously. Every mediocre dickhead thinks they're Lenny Bruce, who died alone, broke and broken from being dragged through the courts over and over for his work when their "punishment" for fighting against the oppressive *checks notes* transgender community is a series of netflix specials they get paid millions for and people buy into these dipshits victim narrative.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
"Look, it's like he's being crucified for being an atheist! It's both funny *and* true!"
View attachment 6226
*sigh* Please tell me that wasn't a genuine display by this guy. Like, this was him having a laught at himself, right? Right?!

I remember him closing out the Golden Globes with 'thank God I'm an atheist', like just really wanting to get that final line in there, and it just reeked of self-satisfaction. But this... Dear Jesus!

Again, how the hell did Ricky Gervais ever become a thing worth giving money and attention to?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Again, how the hell did Ricky Gervais ever become a thing worth giving money and attention to?
Once upon a time, he created some genuinely great comedy.

Like many comedians, however, he's well past his prime and hasn't really moved on, so he's just there flogging his schtick for ever diminishing returns.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Every now and again I'll consider getting back into performing stand up comedy and then i'll remember that I couldn't bear to have to hang around comedians again. They are just the most mediocre, overly sensitive group of "artists" with a wildly inflated ego.

You can't simultaneously believe your stand up set can fight oppression but also it's only jokes and no one should take it seriously. Every mediocre dickhead thinks they're Lenny Bruce, who died alone, broke and broken from being dragged through the courts over and over for his work when their "punishment" for fighting against the oppressive *checks notes* transgender community is a series of netflix specials they get paid millions for and people buy into these dipshits victim narrative.
I never heard of this nobody. Then again, I don't follow stand-up. Dude sounds like an oversensitive biatch that can only dish it out, but can't take it.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I never heard of this nobody. Then again, I don't follow stand-up. Dude sounds like an oversensitive biatch that can only dish it out, but can't take it.
Ricky Gervais made his name via TV, his most famous creation being The Office. He was pretty minor on the stand-up circuit until his TV breakthrough.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ricky Gervais got going for The Office (the original, UK one), in which he plays a totally unlikeable, but believable character. He's done that sort of thing a couple of times, and he's quite good as a dodgy loser who doesn't quite get what a tosser he is.

Which, now that I think of it...

EDIT: Ok, Agema keeps beating me to things.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Ricky Gervais ever having been considered funny at all is offensive. Dude is a male Amy Shumer.
The UK Office is fantastic, for my money. Extras is also pretty good most of the time. I also enjoyed the 'Guide to' audio series (was that what it was called...?)

It's very notable, though, that the quality of Gervais's writing takes an absolute nosedive whenever Stephen Merchant isn't involved.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
*sigh* Please tell me that wasn't a genuine display by this guy. Like, this was him having a laught at himself, right? Right?!

I remember him closing out the Golden Globes with 'thank God I'm an atheist', like just really wanting to get that final line in there, and it just reeked of self-satisfaction. But this... Dear Jesus!

Well there was that one time - which keeps showing up in my YouTube recommendations no matter how many times I tell it to fuck off - where he 'roasted Hollywood' at the Oscars or something. That probably earned him some street cred with lots of wankers.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ricky Gervais made his name via TV, his most famous creation being The Office. He was pretty minor on the stand-up circuit until his TV breakthrough.
I am assuming you're referring to the American version of The Office. For the record, I hated that show and found it boring. Only a few clips ever gave me any laughs. Just small snickers, but no out loud laughs

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I am assuming you're referring to the American version of The Office. For the record, I hated that show and found it boring. Only a few clips ever gave me any laughs. Just small snickers, but no out loud laughs
Nah, the original UK one. Apparently the US one succeeded in that they didn't actually try to make a rubbish US version of a successful UK show, they went and mostly did their own thing. No being a fan of the UK version and not watching the US one at all, I can't say.