Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Right, so that's actually just a charge for driving on 6 particular roads that are currently subject to terrible congestion. You can always just go by... another route, or public transport.

You know congestion charges have been a thing for a long, long time, and aren't even terribly controversial.
If there is one thing I have learnt over the last couple of years is that petrol cars is an acceptable identity

I don't mean like the meme attack helicopter. I mean, 'you can try to take away my fuel guzzling truck from my cold dead hands.' This is seperate from the hot rod/ vintage car enthusiasts... those are identities too, just not the crazy brand

Anything that could possibly encourage public transport or *shock horror* walking is a personal attack on the freedom loving, fuel guzzling rev heads. Musk 'threatens these people personally' with his 'woke electic cars' that 'can't go anywhere because the battery goes flat in 5mins'. Because, apparently, the problem with Musk is that he wants electric cars, not that he continually makes defective products

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
When I lived out bush, traffic was potholes
I live close to some major trucking routes so potholes aren't a major issue unless you're going deep into the backroads... which I don't if I can help it because Falcons aren't 4WD which can make it tricky on a single lane dirt road and there's a header coming the other way.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Paltrow caused Qanon...

Also, this is your yearly reminder that John Brinkley existed. Because rhino horn and bear bile is just quaint compared to him
Hadn't heard of him, but knew about the gland stuff. Admittedly mostly because it was in a Sherlock Holmes story.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
In the world of videogames
What makes it even more pathetic is that killing the goose that laid your golden egg is extraordinarily poor business practice.

From what I can piece together it seems a dodgy businessman bought ZA/UM potentially fraudulently with an eye to then selling it (at vast profit) to a larger company. Except that the businessman alienated the key creatives, who then left the studio, and it seems very likely he did not realise one of his newly departed creatives had a legal right to block further use of the studio's key IP. So in other words, the ZA/UM cannot use its big value IP, nor has in employment the core creatives who made it a success. And that's surely going to wreck the value of ZA/UM.

The reported manner of the takeover, if true, is as dodgy as fuck - although not necessarily illegal, of course.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If there is one thing I have learnt over the last couple of years is that petrol cars is an acceptable identity

I don't mean like the meme attack helicopter. I mean, 'you can try to take away my fuel guzzling truck from my cold dead hands.' This is seperate from the hot rod/ vintage car enthusiasts... those are identities too, just not the crazy brand

Anything that could possibly encourage public transport or *shock horror* walking is a personal attack on the freedom loving, fuel guzzling rev heads. Musk 'threatens these people personally' with his 'woke electic cars' that 'can't go anywhere because the battery goes flat in 5mins'. Because, apparently, the problem with Musk is that he wants electric cars, not that he continually makes defective products
Hell, a chunk of then add aftermarket fuel burners to lay down smokescreens whenever they see a Prius

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
It sounds afraid.

Former President Donald Trump on Saturday called on his supporters to protest and “take our nation back” as he girds for an expected effort by the Manhattan district attorney to bring an unprecedented criminal charge over his handling of a hush money payment during his 2016 presidential campaign.

“Protest, take our nation back!” the former president and 2024 GOP presidential candidate exhorted his followers Saturday morning on his social media platform Truth Social, after pointing to news reports about the possibility he could be arrested Tuesday or soon thereafter.

Trump provided no clear basis for his expected arrest, beyond citing what he called “illegal leaks” about the ongoing investigation by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg.

It’s unclear if Trump’s legal team has informed him of an impending indictment or whether he’s speculating based on news coverage.

A Trump spokesperson clarified that there had been no actual “notification” about an imminent arrest. The spokesperson added that he would “be in Texas next weekend for a giant rally. Make America Great Again!”

A person familiar with the Trump operations said that they were not actively organizing protests.

A spokesperson for Bragg declined to comment Saturday. A spokesperson for the NYPD declined to comment. A Secret Service spokesperson said they were not able to comment on specific protection plans or protectee movements.

Trump played golf Saturday morning and is scheduled to travel to Oklahoma Saturday afternoon to attend the NCAA wrestling championship.

A flurry of news reports Friday evening said Bragg asked law enforcement authorities in New York City to begin discussions about the security issues and logistics involved in responding to a potential indictment of Trump there. It’s unclear whether the potential criminal charge would result in Trump being arrested at his new home in Florida, but one of Trump’s attorneys, Joseph Tacopina, has said Trump would turn himself in to face the charges in Manhattan if a grand jury returns an indictment in the coming days.

But Trump’s new call for supporters to “take our nation back” is indicative of the type of civil unrest he could unleash if he faces charges. His description of his anticipated arrest followed a lengthy, rambling thread in which he claimed “The American Dream is dead” and falsely asserted the 2020 election was stolen from him. The rhetoric is similar to his remarks on Jan. 6, 2021, when he urged supporters to “fight like hell” to prevent Joe Biden from taking office.

“If you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore,” Trump said at the time, before thousands of supporters marched to the Capitol and stormed the building, endangering Congress and the transfer of power.

Trump’s clarion call to his backers came in a pair of rambling social media posts early Saturday that painted a grim, dystopian vision of America and suggested that his arrest was imminent.

“Our nation is now third world & dying. The American dream is dead! The radical left anarchists have stollen [sic] our presidential election, and with it, the heart of our our [sic] country. American patriots are being arrested & held in captivity like animals, while criminals & leftist thugs are allowed to roam the streets, killing & burning with no retribution,” Trump wrote.

Bragg’s predecessor as district attorney, Cy Vance Jr., conducted a lengthy investigation into the Trump Organization’s business practices. That probe resulted in tax evasion charges against two Trump business entities and the group’s longtime chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg. He pleaded guilty last year and a jury convicted the Trump companies on the charges.

However, the probe did not result in any charges against Trump himself before Vance was replaced by Bragg at the start of last year. One of the prosecutors leading that investigation quit, saying that Bragg had balked at proceeding with a broad tax fraud and business fraud case.

However, Bragg’s investigation has intensified in recent months on a far narrower issue: whether Trump committed a crime by disguising a $130,000 payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels in 2016 as a legal expense rather than as an expenditure aimed at boosting his then-ongoing presidential campaign.

The former Trump attorney who made the arrangements, Michael Cohen, pleaded guilty in 2018 to federal charges, including one admitting to a federal campaign finance law violation in connection with the payment. However, Trump was never charged over his role.

Trump has repeatedly denied wrongdoing in connection with the payment and has denied Daniels’ claim that the pair had sex on one occasion in 2006.

Trump’s legal straits aren’t limited to the Manhattan probe. He’s facing an anticipated indictment in Fulton County, Ga., where a district attorney has been investigating his effort to subvert the 2020 election. He’s also facing increasingly acute legal threats from a special counsel probe into his election subversion attempt and efforts to prevent the government from reclaiming scores of sensitive national security documents stashed at his Mar-a-Lago estate.
Though hey, at least he's referring to himself as "former" president now, sooo, progress? Maybe?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It sounds afraid.

Though hey, at least he's referring to himself as "former" president now, sooo, progress? Maybe?
I'm shocked he hasn't said anything about Pence is going to betray him with a kiss, since he's already put himself up on the cross.....

Honestly, at this point I'm shocked the MAGAts haven't declared Trump the 2nd coming of GOP Jesus, since he keeps acting like he is.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Funny events in anti woke world? How about the fascistic Forum for Democracy losing about 90% of their seats in the Dutch Senate and provincial elections. Last election we suffered the humiliation of them becoming the biggest party, but now they're almost wiped out. What's even funnier is that Baudet came on stage and then gave a speech as if they had just won the election instead of being decimated.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Funny events in anti woke world? How about the fascistic Forum for Democracy losing about 90% of their seats in the Dutch Senate and provincial elections. Last election we suffered the humiliation of them becoming the biggest party, but now they're almost wiped out. What's even funnier is that Baudet came on stage and then gave a speech as if they had just won the election instead of being decimated.
Sometimes, I think the best way to destroy the far right is to give them the oxygen of publicity and enough rope to hang themselves. And sometimes enough power to demonstrate that they're as unable to sort shit out as the mainstream.

The danger is when they get a bit too much power, and then rig the political system so it becomes very hard to remove them (e.g. Hungary).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sometimes, I think the best way to destroy the far right is to give them the oxygen of publicity and enough rope to hang themselves. And sometimes enough power to demonstrate that they're as unable to sort shit out as the mainstream.
Sounds good in theory, but they get lots of supporters untroubled by reality who can excuse repeated failures.

Reactions: Dalisclock