Funny events in anti-woke world

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
increased cultural acceptance?
If, however, you mean people's right to determine their sexuality or gender expression for themselves, there is almost nobody that believes in that. The suggestion that people choose their own behavior is mocked and derided, sometimes even in the general sense of free will, but specifically in the subject of sexuality any concept of actual self-determination is treated like a slur. Any fight for people to live the way they choose has been thoroughly usurped by the "oh, you think I choose to be like this!?" crowd.
discrimination and violence against trans women worsen despite investments in public resources and improvements in health insurance access and utilization of health care
As always, the answer is in your mirror. Because of increasing recognition and opportunity, there is an increasing reactionary violence (your culture war). Like when slaves or colonized people raise their heads instead of "living in peace" under your dominance and your "just know your place and everything will go fine" threats. There's also an increasing visibility of the stakes, an increasing awareness of this domination, as when femicides or hate crimes become accounted as such after having been just random unfortunate events - suicides due to bullying and unease without any deep questioning on why that person was bullied or uneasy in life. Trans people, with increased visibility, get not only more recognized as victims so far, but get also all the more targetted (verbally, symbolically, physically) by the part of society that you represent. They are experiencing your heinous backlash and its variations on victim blaming.

They are only being crushed against your own arbitrarily constructed walls. Stop pretending you "care" for them. You are washing your hands of them, all too happy that transgressing your cultural categories would lead to disaster and death, and absolutely ensuring that it does. And presenting it as mechanical with the pure smug "look what you're making me do, look what you're doing to yourself" of a slave owner crushing a revolt in the name of social peace.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
As always, the answer is in your mirror. Because of increasing recognition and opportunity, there is an increasing reactionary violence (your culture war). Like when slaves or colonized people raise their heads instead of "living in peace" under your dominance and your "just know your place and everything will go fine" threats. There's also an increasing visibility of the stakes, an increasing awareness of this domination, as when femicides or hate crimes become accounted as such after having been just random unfortunate events - suicides due to bullying and unease without any deep questioning on why that person was bullied or uneasy in life. Trans people, with increased visibility, get not only more recognized as victims so far, but get also all the more targetted (verbally, symbolically, physically) by the part of society that you represent. They are experiencing your heinous backlash and its variations on victim blaming.

They are only being crushed against your own arbitrarily constructed walls. Stop pretending you "care" for them. You are washing your hands of them, all too happy that transgressing your cultural categories would lead to disaster and death, and absolutely ensuring that it does. And presenting it as mechanical with the pure smug "look what you're making me do, look what you're doing to yourself" of a slave owner crushing a revolt in the name of social peace.
That's not at all the timeline of events though. Most conservatives were blissfully unaware of the whole thing. The reaction isn't to people, it's to problems, in this case the left-wing deciding that the best course of action is to shine the harshest possible spotlight on the worst possible representation. You're upset about not only justified, but deliberately instigated reactions. The people putting illustrations of sex acts or men in burlesque costumes in front of young children know what they're doing, they're not trying to help anyone. I'm sure in your mind you see this terrible thing to struggle with your identity and then see people push back on trans representation, but it's 1000% worse when the people pushing back are right. Would you really want to be advocated by and associated with perverts? Is that going to make you feel better about your identity? I'm sure you think it awful to struggle with your identity as a teenager, giving kids drugs that physically and mentally arrest their development isn't a solution to that. It's making the problem worse on purpose. The conservative reaction is to all the people making things worse on purpose.

Like, the conclusion in that link says "Our findings are particularly alarming during a period when significant public health resources and community-based initiatives specifically for trans women were implemented and could have reasonably led us to expect improvements". But actually, the findings are not particularly surprising, when you consider all those initiatives were implemented to make things worse on purpose.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We do lose a lot of romanticism in the process
I wouldn't cry about it, because it's not true reality and a majority of romanticism is based on bullshit and assumption on knowing everything on whatever subject.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
associated with perverts
Your circularity is here. You're the one defining "perversion", and yelling that that's what trannsexuality, transgenderism, homosexuality, any any transgression of your codified wordlview amounts to that. You people did the same with romantic relationships between people of different skin colors or same gender. Crying "perversion" just as the rest of society was starting to deem it okay and treaching itself to stop ostracizing, demonizing, attacking it. As people were learning to not be ashamed of it or, maybe more importantly (at least numerically) to not shame each others for it, your kind of people were getting all the more ferocious in their "perversion" rhetorics. That's the collision course of any emancipation, the cultural barrier to breach. And again and again, it's the same people's barrier with the same rhetorics and the same causes and effects. Because you people are the ones who never, ever, ever, throughout the whole of mankind's history, never ever learn shame.

And that's what you are. The shame of mankind's history. Its exact same familiar tired rerun, epoch after epoch, prejudice after prejudice, stigma after stigma. This tediousness is discouraging to some, but the matter of fact is that, every time, you end up losing and reality wins. And you end up incorporating it and seeking yet another target.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If you compare only people with persistent dysphoria, there is mixed evidence at best that those who transition improve long-term. If you count in those who stop feeling dysphoric without transitioning, it's not even a close comparison.
It's not "mixed evidence", and is attested consistently by professional bodies involved as well as universally within the community itself.

The latter bit there is a ridiculous addition, which you wouldn't add for any other medical, psychiatric or therapeutic situation.

Also, it's not my approach to insist only one category matters. There are infinite categories that can matter. But they're distinct things. God knows I fit in a ton of categories that could be deemed feminine. Nobody would call me particularly manly. I like to cook, I like to sing, I like the colors pink and purple... none of that should be dictating my interactions with other people, far less the shape of my genitals. If I have any issues with the conception of gender you provided, it's that the social connections you made as to what people see as male, while societally accurate, are unnecessary and problematic. I feel like for decades we had "girls can do boysih things and boys can do girly things, and that's all fine", people trying to fight unnecessarily gendered things, only to do a complete 180 where now its "actually, gendered things are totally necessary, and innate, just not by sex." There's no way that's the right strategy, as evidenced by the multitudinous miseries going on right now.
Yet again ascribing a position to opponents that hasn't been expressed.

"Gendered things" such as those I listed are not necessary. And stereotypically gendered behaviours are not innate, either to sex or gender. Please get this into your head: *your opponents are categorically not saying they are, and thats not my position*. Boys can do "girlish" things and girls can do "boyish" things. That has been acknowledged far more widely by the LGBT+ community than outside. The LGBT+ community-- and most of all the trans community-- has been fighting the "unnecessarily gendered" nature of stuff since before we were born.

Here's the thing: that has *fuck-all* to do with dysphoria or the benefit of transition. There's no 180: There's you failing to understand what your opponents are actually saying, and so instead of engaging with what they've expressed, you're instead pushing a position onto us we've /already explicitly refused/, and which has nothing in common with what we actually did argue.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
What ?

I'm not sure what you're talking about but it's not the impression I have. Reactionarism is a reaction, feet dragging on the ground to try and slow a train, but in the grand scheme of things, conservative beliefs are pretty much screwed. In the US, they are over-represented institutionally, and in some eastern countries they are supported by totalitarian regimes, but culturally they're a lost cause. And knowing it. And all the more noisy for it.
Uhh crap, sorry, that was a bit of bad period off meds, panicking about 3 - 4 other things at same time including new climate warning. Was not a wise idea to go online at all then, let alone attempt any communication. Now comfortably medicated enough to function at least, apologies!

-
Police union leader caught dealing fentanyl, big oops!

San Jose Police Officers’ Association (SJPOA) executive director Joanne Marian Segovia was arrested on Tuesday for allegedly smuggling fentanyl into the United States. Segovia, 64, was charged with one count of attempted importation of a controlled substance, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California. Federal prosecutors allege that Segovia used her personal and office computers to order thousands of opioid and other pills to her home and agreed to distribute the drugs elsewhere in the United States. The investigation into Segovia was launched in 2020 after Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) received a tip that she was involved in the importation of illegal drugs. HSI agents then began tracking Segovia’s mail and intercepted several packages that contained fentanyl, according to the criminal complaint. Segovia is scheduled to appear in federal court on Wednesday. If convicted, she faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $1 million fine.

Last edited:

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Uhh crap, sorry, that was a bit of bad period off meds, panicking about 3 - 4 other things at same time including new climate warning. Was not a wise idea to go online at all then, let alone attempt any communication. Now comfortably medicated enough to function at least, apologies!
No prob. Could have been a dialogue between me and me, with me needing to remind myself these things at times.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
The reaction isn't to people, it's to problems

...putting illustrations of sex acts or men in burlesque costumes in front of young children...
But why, objectively, are sex education and men in extravagant, traditionally female costumes a "problem"?

That's kind of the issue here. You say conservatives don't like problems, but their definition of "problem" seems to stem from their own subjective intolerance.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
But why, objectively, are sex education and men in extravagant, traditionally female costumes a "problem"?

That's kind of the issue here. You say conservatives don't like problems, but their definition of "problem" seems to stem from their own subjective intolerance.
They absolutely love "problems". Their whole business is based on framing stuff as (terrifying) "problems" and present themselves as radical, violent solutions. There are no humans to them, transgender people, paupers, refugees, homosexuals, aren't humans. They are "problems" to eradicate, to remove. Problems that demand a solution as final as the zeitgeist allows.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The Arkansas House approved a proposed law on Wednesday that would open the door to criminal liability for the distribution of “obscene” content by school and public libraries, despite bipartisan opposition.
The bill’s sponsors, Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Jonesboro) and Rep. Justin Gonzales (R-Okolona), have repeatedly said the bill is simply a means of allowing parents more control over what their children read and would not result in the banning of books.
Who buys this shit? Who looks at this law and thinks "oh yeah, that's just helping parents do the parenting thing with their kids, it won't ban those "obscene" book the public library carries"?

Employees of public or school libraries that “knowingly” distribute obscene material or inform others of how to obtain it would risk conviction of a Class D felony, the bill states. Knowingly possessing obscene material would risk conviction of a Class A misdemeanor.
Gonzales told the House that the bill sets a high bar for potential criminal charges and that people should not worry about local librarians’ risk of imprisonment.
"Pfft, we aren't *actually* going to try and convict you of a class D felony if you had out a memoir to a kid, we just put that in there for funsies!"

Last edited:

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Who buys this shit? Who looks at this law and thinks "oh yeah, that's just helping parents do the parenting thing with their kids, it won't ban those "obscene" book the public library carries"?

"Pfft, we aren't *actually* going to try and convict you of a class D felony if you had out a memoir to a kid, we just put that in there for funsies!"
But but what if I don't want my children to learn that jews are human beings ? Should I allow the government to oppress my beliefs ? 🥺

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That's not at all the timeline of events though. Most conservatives were blissfully unaware of the whole thing. The reaction isn't to people, it's to problems, in this case the left-wing deciding that the best course of action is to shine the harshest possible spotlight on the worst possible representation. You're upset about not only justified, but deliberately instigated reactions. The people putting illustrations of sex acts or men in burlesque costumes in front of young children know what they're doing, they're not trying to help anyone. I'm sure in your mind you see this terrible thing to struggle with your identity and then see people push back on trans representation, but it's 1000% worse when the people pushing back are right. Would you really want to be advocated by and associated with perverts? Is that going to make you feel better about your identity? I'm sure you think it awful to struggle with your identity as a teenager, giving kids drugs that physically and mentally arrest their development isn't a solution to that. It's making the problem worse on purpose. The conservative reaction is to all the people making things worse on purpose.

Like, the conclusion in that link says "Our findings are particularly alarming during a period when significant public health resources and community-based initiatives specifically for trans women werevzzzcCxx implemented and could have reasonably led us to expect improvements". But actually, the findings are not particularly surprising, when you consider all those initiatives were implemented tovmake things worse on purpose.
Ah, yes. Conservatives banned trans etc to the closet so they didn't have to deal with it and are now blaming everyone because.... they were to lazy to deal with the situation

Anyway 'Conservatives being blissfully unaware' is a complete lie. Transwomen have been competing in women sports since the 70s. Conservatives even took transwomen to court to try and exclude them and lost.... in the 70s. This has been a solved problem for 50 years

Blissfully unaware, my ass

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Like, the conclusion in that link says "Our findings are particularly alarming during a period when significant public health resources and community-based initiatives specifically for trans women were implemented and could have reasonably led us to expect improvements". But actually, the findings are not particularly surprising, when you consider all those initiatives were implemented to make things worse on purpose.
This is the only response your pearl clutching deserves. Everything bad you think about things "being forced on you" or whatever you believe is a manufacture entirely in your own mind, divorced from reality.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
A school banned a 1st grade class from singing RainbowLand (a duet from Dolly Parton and Miley Cyrus)

They also banned them from singing Rainbow Connection (by Kermit. The Frog) but have overturned that

Because all rainbows will turn the kids trans. Or gay. Or something
I bet no one said that to the Vikings.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
A school banned a 1st grade class from singing RainbowLand (a duet from Dolly Parton and Miley Cyrus)

They also banned them from singing Rainbow Connection (by Kermit. The Frog) but have overturned that

Because all rainbows will turn the kids trans. Or gay. Or something

Wisconsin school bans Miley Cyrus-Dolly Parton duet from class concert : NPR
But, rainbows are a sign from god. Rainbows turn kids trans. Ergo, god wants kids to turn trans. Woke god confirmed.

Absent

Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Reactions: BrawlMan

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Your circularity is here. You're the one defining "perversion", and yelling that that's what trannsexuality, transgenderism, homosexuality, any any transgression of your codified wordlview amounts to that.
In a world where men are performing burlesque in front of children and a school principal was handing out dildos to students, you should not be defending them. That's not me tying all those things you listed to perversion, that's you tying those things to perversion. You tell me how any of those things necessitate or even justify drag queen story hour.

I mean, if you start digging, you're going to find the perverts really quick all through this. John Money was terrible, and those following behind him aren't much better. The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) is an influential if not preeminent authority of transgender treatment, publishing their Standards of Care, cited or outright followed by medical organizations around the world. For their most recent edition, they controversially lowered or eliminated multiple age brackets for different treatment recommendations. They also brought on as co-author Thomas W Johnson, who contributed a section on eunuchs. His life's work kind of speaks for itself:
If "Castration for Pleasure" and "Sadomastic Erotica: Insights from the Eunuch Archines" do not qualify as perversion to you, I believe we've hit an impasse and agree to disagree. I don't think many people are going along with that though. This is the type of person pioneering "medical transition". I'm not saying that identifying as a different gender is perversion, but perverts are taking gross advantage of people who feel that way. The well-known trans swimmer "Lia" Thomas was recently found participating in sado-masochism and autogynaphilia communities online. One of the celebrated faces of transgenderism in US culture is verifiably in it for the sexual arousal. Do you not call someone who goes into the women's locker room and exposes their genitals for the sexual pleasure a pervert? Is that not exactly what conservatives expected to happen since the bathroom fights began: perverted men claiming to be trans to enact their illicit sexual fantasies exposing themselves?
It's not "mixed evidence", and is attested consistently by professional bodies involved as well as universally within the community itself.
"Professional bodies" - see above.
I dunno, can't the same be said about the Church?
To an extent, you're not wrong, though the doctrine that everyone is a sinner and we all know that kind of undoes the parallel.

I bet you're for people abandoning the Church though.
It's not sex education. It's pictures or detailed descriptions of sex acts with no education going on, often just personal narratives that were not written for sex ed or even for children at all (we've discussed the book Gender Queer, the author wrote it for an adult audience, and there's no educational value in illustrating giving a strap on a blowjob).

It's not traditionally female costumes, it's traditionally burlesque costumes. Even in traditional burlesque shows, it is explicitly a parody of women's clothing, frequently a sexualized parody involving striptease. Drag shows are not different, they are sexualized caricatures of women's dress. Society would not approve of women holding a story hour for kids in that attire either. Drag queen's don't dress like Elena Kagan, they dress like Lili von Schtupp.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Professional bodies" - see above.
All we have here is a dismissal of one specific body because they once worked with a co-author who has, in the past, written about and researched some extreme paraphilic trends.

You seem to be insinuating here that merely writing about or researching an extreme phenomenon somehow equals advocacy for it. That's not how academic publication works.

This is to say nothing of the speciousness of finding a flimsy reason to dismiss one specific body, and then extrapolating from that that we apparently can't trust the entire wide range of expert bodies in medical, psychiatric and therapeutic fields.

Because one once worked with a guy who wrote academically about extreme stuff. Pull the other one.