Funny Events of the "Woke" world

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Well, there's an argument to be made there, but if you want to look at why the Liberals were just thrashed, the gender issue could be part of it, but "part" is the key word. I mean, Labor won, but it still got less than 33% of the vote.
If you want one word to cover why the LNP got a serving, that word is "inaction". The Morrison govt never once got on the front foot for any major issue unless they could conjure up some vague connection to their National Security safety blanket. Take any other major issue and they either shrugged their shoulders or had to be dragged kicking and screaming to do something.

If you want a second word it's "incompetence" because they always rushed and half arsed their policies once they were shivvied into actually taking action.

The third word would be "corruption".

Actually, in all fairness, I'm not sure what case one could make that the Liberals should move further to the right, because if Australians wanted a right-wing party, then why did One Nation and the UAP do so poorly?
Yes, the LNP should move further to the right... Pffffffft. I mean, I have no problem with it because it would mean a long time in opposition for them. It was their 'Fiscal Conservative/Social Liberal' supporters that abandoned them in droves and has basically gutted their Moderate faction.

As for PHON and UAP... leaning hard into conspiracy theories and sooking about "muh freedumbs" didn't help. Also, they mostly fish in the same pond so all they do is take votes from each other.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I am not making a thread about this, but the democrat thanks to a projected Roe v Wade overturn has a shot at winning the 2022 midterms.

Also back to the Australia victory.

This is literally the fourth Labor win ever and since World War 2. How are you guys not thrilled.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I am not making a thread about this, but the democrat thanks to a projected Roe v Wade overturn has a shot at winning the 2022 midterms.

This is literally the fourth Labor win ever and since World War 2. How are you guys not thrilled.
Unless I’m misreading what you’re trying to say, I’m confident we’ve had more than four Labor governments since 1945.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Not 'ever', and not exactly true. Chifley won in 46 but that was a continuation of the wartime ALP govt, so line call on if it counts or not.

As for 'thrilled'... meh... hard to be thrilled about a bunch of neo-libs winning power. Crumbs off the table *is* better than nothing but they're still just fucking crumbs.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Picking between ScoMo and Albo is like picking between Trump and Biden

Yes, there is a right answer. But it's not necessarily a good answer

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Bonus points: Some 400+ of the "active duty deaths" last year among police were of COVID, from police who didn't vaccinate or mask up.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I don't think most normal people mark their calendars a year in advance for when this one guy died. And hey why can't you honor police in the same week he died? It's police that arrested, prosecuted and convicted his killer.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
And hey why can't you honor police in the same week he died? It's police that arrested, prosecuted and convicted his killer.
It doesn't count when it's one of their own doing the murder and we have to twist their arms to get any kind of accountability.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think most normal people mark their calendars a year in advance for when this one guy died. And hey why can't you honor police in the same week he died? It's police that arrested, prosecuted and convicted his killer.
Amy Klobuchar let Chauvin go for his previous murder under very similar circumstances. She is the ONE person who could have stop Floyd from dying. It was her 'respect of police' that caused Chauvin to be in prison. Because all 'respect for police' means to people like Amy is 'immunity for crimes'.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The courts prosecute and convict, not the police. You’re thinking of 2000AD Judges where it’s all rolled into one.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
A dude flat out murdered a guy while his buddies watched on camera and it took burning a police station down to get cops to do anything about it. So no, I'm not giving cops props for arresting the guy

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The courts prosecute and convict, not the police. You’re thinking of 2000AD Judges where it’s all rolled into one.
It's all one thing, the court has to prosecute but the police have to arrest the guy and they need a warrant to do that in most cases, so on, it doesn't have to be Dredd. This is actually part of why cops get let off too much in a lot of situations, cause they work closely with the prosecutors and form rapport so they're biased against finding fault with their colleagues.

It doesn't count when it's one of their own doing the murder and we have to twist their arms to get any kind of accountability.
I mean, as long as police consist of people some % of them will be criminals too just by the numbers, we still need police to catch those too. Now the arm twisting argument I get but still if you didn't have them the guy would still have walked free so while not ideal it's preferable to the alternative.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, the reasons I didn't go screaming into the streets include:

-I don't have that many problems with the LNP. Terrible as they are on climate change, they did a good job of seeing us through Covid.

-Actions, not words. Labor needs to deliver.

-The last time Labor was in power was under Rudd, then Gillard, then Rudd again, then we had a decade of LNP rule with similar 'coups,' from Abbott, to Turnbull, to ScoMo (I even had to check Wikipedia to remind myself of that order, that's how bad it got). I know that can't solely be blamed on Labor, but, well, there was reason why Canberra was called the "coup capital of the world" for awhile, and it was a series of 'coups' that started under Labor.

-I'm mixed on Albo. Shorten had a clear vision when he ran for PM, Albo...well, his victory speech was pretty good, but I'm pretty tepid on him. Granted, I usually vote for the party more than the leader, so to speak, but even so...

-The Greens made perfect the enemy of good and didn't give their support for an emissions trading scheme. That the greens and teals have a presence is good, on paper, but they need to actually be able to work with Labor.

Do only protags count? Background characters? How many background characters constitute a protag? Depending on the answer to that, you could have one game with an expansive background cast, downgrading the "rank" for entire demographics for the year. City of dwarves in a WoW expansion --> suddenly 'body type' loses its value as a characteristic for the industry that year? Wut?
This really hits the nail on the head on how idiotic the whole system was.

Let's play devil's advocate and say you applied it to Overwatch. Fine, okay, it's stupid, but I can live with stupid. How, on the other hand, are you going to apply it to settings like Warcraft? The problem with having the tool applied to Blizzard is that Blizzard has almost exclusively operated in sci-fi and fantasy. Overwatch is cartoony, soft sci-fi, arguably superhero fiction, and yet it's the most 'realistic' (in terms of proximity to Earth) setting they've ever done. Yes, a setting with a talking gorilla is still closer to reality than The Lost Vikings. 0_0