Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
they did a good job of seeing us through Covid.
Um, apart from one terrible fuck-up after another? The Ruby Princess, the vaccines, the vaccines, ignoring travel restrictions or starting them after events they wanted to go to or exemption Hillsong, the vaccines again, arguing with Dan Andrews for actually doing stuff, more fucking up the vaccine rollout...

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I mean, as long as police consist of people some % of them will be criminals too just by the numbers, we still need police to catch those too. Now the arm twisting argument I get but still if you didn't have them the guy would still have walked free so while not ideal it's preferable to the alternative.
The only reason Chauvin was held accountable is because of the degree of public outcry. The cops didn't turn him in out of an abundance of civic duty, they did it because we gave them no choice.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Um, apart from one terrible fuck-up after another? The Ruby Princess, the vaccines, the vaccines, ignoring travel restrictions or starting them after events they wanted to go to or exemption Hillsong, the vaccines again, arguing with Dan Andrews for actually doing stuff, more fucking up the vaccine rollout...
In the overall picture, Australia did well. Not as well as some other countries did (e.g. New Zealand), but much better than a lot of others. We had nothing approaching the disasters in countries like the UK, US, or Brazil (or Belgium, IIRC).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In the overall picture, Australia did well. Not as well as some other countries did (e.g. New Zealand), but much better than a lot of others. We had nothing approaching the disasters in countries like the UK, US, or Brazil (or Belgium, IIRC).
Sure, but I'd say that was despite the LNP, not because of them.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Sure, but I'd say that was despite the LNP, not because of them.
Most of the Covid issue arose from allowing people to cross a border that was meant to be closed

But I'd also blame the Victorian police and Andrews attempt to fix that up. And NSW LNP's 'let's just let a hundred cases get through each week' approach

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Belgium did pretty well by European / North American standards. It just used criteria for official reporting that was so wide it very likely ended up with a substantial overcount. It's thought if it used the same criteria as most Western countries, it would have cut its covid figures to as little as half.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
That's dumb. Flat-out dumb. What, can we not call them chefs anymore? After all, the word "chef" comes from the Old French word "chief", which meant "leader".

Reactions: Hawki

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Welcome to woke world where now apparently if you think men could be the actual victim of abuse you're alt-right

Everyone, on both sides of this trial, is being problematic

Also, it still sounds like Depp still did DV too and lied to get Heard into trouble. Two peas in a pod

I hope this results in lots of mandated counseling

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Welcome to woke world were advocating for deliberately unspecified further actions against politicians is now fair game

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
unless it's Amber Heard apparently. Or any woman who actually people think of as "on their side" along with the activist types.
...but neither article says anything like that. And the second article even specifically brings up the allegations of abuse by Amber herself. The articles are simply not doing what you're saying they're doing.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
...but neither article says anything like that. And the second article even specifically brings up the allegations of abuse by Amber herself. The articles are simply not doing what you're saying they're doing.
Don't worry about it. He's just doing identity politics. Reading is not necessary. In fact its way better if you dont

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Also, it still sounds like Depp still did DV too and lied to get Heard into trouble. Two peas in a pod
I have to say, I have avoided the dismal shitshow that is their case to the maximum of my ability. There are few things more depressing than publicly scrutinising the wreckage of two troubled people's catastrophic relationship.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I have to say, I have avoided the dismal shitshow that is their case to the maximum of my ability. There are few things more depressing than publicly scrutinising the wreckage of two troubled people's catastrophic relationship.
I do not normally say this about things. Usually dealing with small drama is important for people even if there is bigger stuff, say a war in Ukraine, that could be stated as more important and invalidates the small stuff.

But we have got more important things than these two people who seems like they both need therapy

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I do not normally say this about things. Usually dealing with small drama is important for people even if there is bigger stuff, say a war in Ukraine, that could be stated as more important and invalidates the small stuff.

But we have got more important things than these two people who seems like they both need therapy
Normally, yes, but if the people are high profile enough, they affect public opinion and that can be a real problem.

The usual suspects are going to be shouting about Amber Heard anytime a woman reports abuse for years.