Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Here's one for Woke world

Insulate UK another climate action group totally not linked to Extinction rebellion as far as anyone knows.
They're presently blocking UK roads to force the government to give a statement and commit to insulating or subsidising insulation of all UK homes to fight climate change. A noble goal you'd think but also an entirely silly quite impractical one because it's not all UK homes that can have it, it's all UK homes. That means somehow installing loft and or cavity wall insulation into homes that don't have loft spaces or cavity walls............(See my former lecturer on Environmental Sciences home in North Wales) or you know random log cabin places in wales or other such places people still live in or use or random cabins that exist on some larger estates like gamekeeper cabins still in use as homes for some.

Oh but it gets funnier as according to their leader the reason they're blocking roads and even stopping ambulances getting through is because their fight to get insulation installed is about saving the NHS and reducing the pressure on the system which is why they're blocking ambulances and potentially causing patients to be put at more risk or face delays in getting care which could make their conditions worse putting more stress on the system.

So yes I present insulate UK the latest bunch of climate activist clowns claiming to be saving lives by blocking ambulances.

Timecode for the most relevant bit is 0:50

Eh, I might not agree with their methods (but they do draw attention to something people are otherwise willfully blind to) but the goal is fine as long as you're aware there needs to be exceptions. I had a quick look at their website and I didn't see anyone calling to insulate non-existent lofts or cavities, but it was a pretty quick look.

It wasn't protestors that shut down roads locally and nationally today though, was it? It was the fucking massive amount of rain.

Reactions: bluegate

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
In other news more changes coming to wow to remove jokes and flirt emotes and associated voice lines

Because that clearly is solving the problems at the company not trying to make it seem like a super inoffensive corporate soul-less thing with most of the character hacked out of it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
In other news more changes coming to wow to remove jokes and flirt emotes and associated voice lines

Because that clearly is solving the problems at the company not trying to make it seem like a super inoffensive corporate soul-less thing with most of the character hacked out of it.
When you fuck up you get punished. Blizzard fucked up; they get things taken away from them.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Here's one for Woke world

Insulate UK another climate action group totally not linked to Extinction rebellion as far as anyone knows.
They're presently blocking UK roads to force the government to give a statement and commit to insulating or subsidising insulation of all UK homes to fight climate change. A noble goal you'd think but also an entirely silly quite impractical one because it's not all UK homes that can have it, it's all UK homes. That means somehow installing loft and or cavity wall insulation into homes that don't have loft spaces or cavity walls............(See my former lecturer on Environmental Sciences home in North Wales) or you know random log cabin places in wales or other such places people still live in or use or random cabins that exist on some larger estates like gamekeeper cabins still in use as homes for some.

Oh but it gets funnier as according to their leader the reason they're blocking roads and even stopping ambulances getting through is because their fight to get insulation installed is about saving the NHS and reducing the pressure on the system which is why they're blocking ambulances and potentially causing patients to be put at more risk or face delays in getting care which could make their conditions worse putting more stress on the system.

So yes I present insulate UK the latest bunch of climate activist clowns claiming to be saving lives by blocking ambulances.
You know... even with houses that are "impossible" to insulate, it'd still be a net positive if they end up getting the government to set up a subsidize program for houses that can be insulated. 🤷‍♂️

Same way how police training reform inspired by the death of a person of color would affect how police treat white people as well.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
players get things taken away in this case not the dev team
Players will adapt or leave, the devs are being punished for my money - admittedly in a very esoteric way - because I don’t imagine they have an opinion dissimilar to yours or even mine on this. Which is that it’s a lazy, panic driven response to clean up their image as much as is possible before they’re dragged into court so they have a load of meaningless in the long run but useful to bamboozle an otherwise unconnected legal opponent.

The other reason I find myself unbothered by it, even if I think it’s stupid, is that I won’t miss what I’ve never used since I don’t play with sound on and I don’t subscribe to this whole ‘player/fan ownership’ circle jerk when it comes to IP’s that loom large in entertainment.

Doesn’t mean I’ll be entertaining any surprised Pikachu face they pull from the negative reactions. Their choice, their consequences.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You know... even with houses that are "impossible" to insulate, it'd still be a net positive if they end up getting the government to set up a subsidize program for house that can be insulated. 🤷‍♂️

Same way how police training reform inspired by the death of a person of color would affect how police treat white people as well.
The UK government were subsidising such a thing already that's the 2nd part of the bonkers thing.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
The UK government were subsidising such a thing already that's the 2nd part of the bonkers thing.

You know... even with houses that are "impossible" to insulate, it'd still be a net positive if they end up getting the government to expand their subsidize program for houses that can be insulated. 🤷‍♂️

Or get the word out about the program.

Or get the government to be more proactive about insulating houses.

Etc.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You know... even with houses that are "impossible" to insulate, it'd still be a net positive if they end up getting the government to expand their subsidize program for houses that can be insulated. 🤷‍♂️

Or get the word out about the program.

Or get the government to be more proactive about insulating houses.

Etc.
But you'd think a group calling for such things would do even the basic checking to make sure that such things aren't already in place.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Government insulation, solar panel and efficient boiler subsidies are freebies for the middle class.

The cost of these improvements are beyond the ability of the poor to reasonably afford even when subsidised. But they facilitate people who have substantial funds available decreasing their energy bills and increasing the value of their homes. The problem with this is plain in the sense that they are the people who least need reduced fuel bills and increased asset values.

I can't deny that there is an advantage in something, anything - and in the end, the national housing stock will be upgraded if by no other mechanism than that eventually more expensive homes are built and then wealthier people sell their old homes to poorer people. But I think it just really does need to pointed out that the whole thing is really designed as a bung for the relatively affluent. There's no serious intent to roll these out properly.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016

The UK's subsidisation of energy-saving measures such as insulation, energy-saving lightbulbs, feed-in tariffs, etc. has massively declined in the last ten years. They used to basically give the lightbulbs away for free, and insulation was subsided via schemes funded by power companies. All that's gone now. Feed-in tariffs for solar have been slashed to about a third over ten years.

The criteria for being eligible for the grants in the link you posted mean that effectively being eligible via personal situation (i.e. in receipt of certain benefits) means you're much less likely to own your home and hence be able to apply for a grant (i.e. you don't own anything to insulate). It's lip service.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But you'd think a group calling for such things would do even the basic checking to make sure that such things aren't already in place.
They're not meaningfully in place. I've gone through that very process before to find applicable grants/subsidies, just to find that they weren't available in my area, and no word on when they would be. They rely entirely on the private energy companies to provide them, and they simply don't provide them a lot of the time. Not to mention that the homeowner is still expected to stump up a lot of the cost even so.

This is the UK government, remember, that is refusing to even replace the flammable cladding responsible for the Grenfell disaster, insisting that the flat owners must replace it at their own cost.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh no your right to be an arsehole is being infringed.
Lots of people are arseholes. Dealing with arseholes is part of my job description.

Never in a million years would I suggest that being an asshole is equivalent to violating human rights.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Lots of people are arseholes. Dealing with arseholes is part of my job description.

Never in a million years would I suggest that being an asshole is equivalent to violating human rights.
The "being an asshole" here means acting in an equivalent way as singling someone out for their race and repeatedly calling them a n****r to the point of qualifying as legal harassment. That's the standard one has to meet when misgendering someone to fall afoul under these laws. It's really, really easy to not act that way. You literally have to do it on purpose.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The "being an asshole" here means acting in an equivalent way as singling someone out for their race and repeatedly calling them a n****r to the point of qualifying as legal harassment. That's the standard one has to meet when misgendering someone to fall afoul under these laws. It's really, really easy to not act that way. You literally have to do it on purpose.
Legal harassment, yes. Human rights, though?

I agree, it's easy to be an asshole on purpose. But of all the assholes I've had to deal with in both personal and professional circles, even in the scope of intentional harassment, I'd never want them in front of a human rights tribunal.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

How about workplace harassment:

There's a reason those assholes didn't actually link to the article

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I agree, it's easy to be an asshole on purpose. But of all the assholes I've had to deal with in both personal and professional circles, even in the scope of intentional harassment, I'd never want them in front of a human rights tribunal.
Crimes that constitute a breach of the victim's human rights usually just end up in front of a regular court.

Take assault, theft, etc-- which breach the victim's right to security, property, etc. Regular court is fine, the usual criminal code is fine. Ditto for harassment.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
players get things taken away in this case not the dev team
Can't you guys give Blizzard a break? They're having to rush Overwatch 2 out the door because they already ran out of characters to retcon LGBTQ+ to cover their asses and distract from criticism. Isn't that enough?