Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
As an outside, it seems the BBC went downhill pretty fast not that long ago, along with quite a few British institutions.
The BBC is under significant political pressure from the current governing party.

The Tories have had it in for the BBC since the 1980s, but since they took power in 2010, they've much more nakedly attacked the BBC, defunded it, attempted to rig the board with right-wingers, and threatened it with worse. This is a bit on and off (the last couple of years have mostly been off) but I think it's fair to say the BBC has moved to be much more cautious about attacking the government in the last ten years.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Really? People I know still complain it’s some kind of dark tower of lefty bias and secretly sowing the seeds of communism in Australia. Fuck I need a new place to work.
ABC news and current affairs has fallen to shit. There are still a few investigative reporters worth the name at 4 Corners but the rest could easily be the same brainless twunts at commercial stations.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Okay. Creepy presenter named. Not a name I knew, not a person I had preconceptions (positive or negative) about. No adjustments required.

Good news. Given that I'm less shielded by comfy denial and partisanship on these things than, say, US republicans.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Okay. Creepy presenter named. Not a name I knew, not a person I had preconceptions (positive or negative) about. No adjustments required.
Huw Edwards is one of the most widely recognised presenters in the UK, and one considered an extremely capable newsreader and steady hand. It was from him that millions of Brits will have first heard about the death of the Queen, for instance.

The police have also concluded that there's zero evidence anything illegal took place, meaning that the provider of the pics was at least 18 at the time.

The Sun, which had originally reported that these pics were provided since the age of 17, is now furiously backtracking and denying that it ever implied the law had been broken. Its very likely that they're afraid of being liable for a suit on the grounds of libel.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Huw Edwards is one of the most widely recognised presenters in the UK, and one considered an extremely capable newsreader and steady hand. It was from him that millions of Brits will have first heard about the death of the Queen, for instance.

The police have also concluded that there's zero evidence anything illegal took place, meaning that the provider of the pics was at least 18 at the time.

The Sun, which had originally reported that these pics were provided since the age of 17, is now furiously backtracking and denying that it ever implied the law had been broken. Its very likely that they're afraid of being liable for a suit on the grounds of libel.
If it's a matter of legality (17, 18, birthday, whatever) it may not change the subjective ickiness of it all.

One of the best swiss TV news presenters, a guy I respected a lot for his mix of detached politeness and interview tenacity (as opposed to, say, his leechey french counterparts, he used to actually re-ask the question after a dodge) turned out an absolute creep, a journalistic investigation found out. Like, chatting online with young coworkers under a false (female) identity to discuss the size of his own dick, while hitting on them in the workplace. Nothing strictly illegal, but a collection of really gooey stuff that makes you question his worldview. He works in France now, left when the scandal broke out. I don't think he could have continued in Switzerland.

So I expect anything. And legality probably isn't the sole issue, for a public figure fulfilling this function.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yes. I wonder what excited them more, just the salacious gossip or the desire to embarrass the BBC? Either way, I do love it when the Sun takes a tumble.

Irrespective of the technical legality, there's an obvious major issue of exploitation of someone vulnerable and the general sleazy nature of this, so I suspect that's the end of Huw Edwards's time on TV.

I also wonder, to what extent is this sort of thing going on in the general public?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I also wonder, to what extent is this sort of thing going on in the general public?
I'm not doing it, so you can put me in good column.

Anyone want to put themselves in the bad column? Come on, [redacted] is going to be lonely!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
If it's a matter of legality (17, 18, birthday, whatever) it may not change the subjective ickiness of it all.

One of the best swiss TV news presenters, a guy I respected a lot for his mix of detached politeness and interview tenacity (as opposed to, say, his leechey french counterparts, he used to actually re-ask the question after a dodge) turned out an absolute creep, a journalistic investigation found out. Like, chatting online with young coworkers under a false (female) identity to discuss the size of his own dick, while hitting on them in the workplace. Nothing strictly illegal, but a collection of really gooey stuff that makes you question his worldview. He works in France now, left when the scandal broke out. I don't think he could have continued in Switzerland.

So I expect anything. And legality probably isn't the sole issue, for a public figure fulfilling this function.
Honestly, I don't really care about the subjective ickiness, if it's just about a wide age gap.

In your example, the issues come from inappropriate behaviour in the workplace, unwelcome advances continuing when the recipient isn't interested, and the deception of concealing his identity. Absolutely none of that applies here. The guy didn't work with Edwards. The advances weren't unwelcome-- he runs an OnlyFans and voluntarily sold his pictures. And no deception was involved.

The only moral issue I see here is infidelity to his wife. But if the British public look past that in a Prime Minister and countless MPs, it seems churlish to moan about it with a presenter-- especially when he didn't even sleep with him.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Only 35% of respondents said they supported cash payments for the descendants of slaves, and 65% were opposed. Support for a formal apology to descendants was higher at 57%, but only 43% backed the idea of providing housing assistance.

Here's a better idea. California has some of the best public universities in the world. Why not just simply make them free For African Americans along with community colleges? (which happened in my city of Columbus minus the public colleges).

As for housing assistance, I am kind of conflicted about it. In 20 years California won't have enough water without water treatment plants. It will also be very hot in southern California. A better solution would be to do it on a national level and make housing vouchers transferrable pass state lines.

As for cash payments, and taxes. Cash will get inflated away, and taxes are a wedge issue.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Only 35% of respondents said they supported cash payments for the descendants of slaves, and 65% were opposed. Support for a formal apology to descendants was higher at 57%, but only 43% backed the idea of providing housing assistance.

Here's a better idea. California has some of the best public universities in the world. Why not just simply make them free For African Americans along with community colleges? (which happened in my city of Columbus minus the public colleges).

As for housing assistance, I am kind of conflicted about it. In 20 years California won't have enough water without water treatment plants. It will also be very hot in southern California. A better solution would be to do it on a national level and make housing vouchers transferrable pass state lines.

As for cash payments, and taxes. Cash will get inflated away, and taxes are a wedge issue.
I'm pretty sure you're gonna be called a racist for even suggesting these ideas

Things are tied to reparations for a reason

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Also Gregar, last week the case for the survivors of the Tulsa massacre was dismissed and can never be filed again. The judge said that there is no possible way for these survivors to receive damages on historical events and that they were being racist against white people for bringing it up

So, when I say I think you're going to be called racist, I mean very likely

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

(Hate to pick on NZ, but I'm reminded of when we had to do ID in science via Aboriginal myths. So far, not seeing the difference.)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

https://fairforall.substack.com/p/the-little-mermaid-and-the-question (Not woke, but I think it's worth a read.)

"Okay Jimmy, we've made the dungeon wheelchair accessible for you, even though tomorrow you'll be taken out of the dungeon and executed."

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble