Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Welcome to woke world where Trump's travel ban to try and stop Covid reaching the USA were bad

But Biden's find banning travel to stop variants

*plays Curb Your Enthusiasm music*
The problem with why Obama didn't close the borders for parts of Africa, and Biden did likely has multiple factors.

One is political, while both faced opportunistic republican foes, the heightened potential climate. The surbanites in swing states who don't like instability, and are more swayed by Fox News are part of it, and the swing states are way more conservative now. Current swing state Aroniza's Mariocpola county elected a proto-alt right Sheff called Joe Arpaio, and Virginia is holding book burnings, and recently elected a Republican governor.

Two is that Covid-19 is killing the US already, and Biden doesn't want to add fuel to the fire and make the political, economic, and health system even worst. Ebola mostly affected Africa, and Obama was willing to risk a few infected, or even one or two dead Americans to maintain US soft power in Africa a growing continent in power, and economics, and at the time China was heavily investing in it.

The third is that Asia has more economic power right now, and Africa doesn't right now. Africa doesn't hold as many semi-conductor factories as Asia, and has less GDP per capita. The supply chains affecting North America are more important in Asia vs Africa.

In sum, this is a political, and economic calculation, not Joe Biden being racist like when Trump closed down travel with Islamic countries with no covid-19 back in 2017.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The problem with why Obama didn't close the borders for parts of Africa, and Biden did likely has multiple factors.

One is political, while both faced opportunistic republican foes, the heightened potential climate. The surbanites in swing states who don't like instability, and are more swayed by Fox News are part of it, and the swing states are way more conservative now. Current swing state Aroniza's Mariocpola county elected a proto-alt right Sheff called Joe Arpaio, and Virginia is holding book burnings, and recently elected a Republican governor.

Two is that Covid-19 is killing the US already, and Biden doesn't want to add fuel to the fire and make the political, economic, and health system even worst. Ebola mostly affected Africa, and Obama was willing to risk a few infected, or even one or two dead Americans to maintain US soft power in Africa a growing continent in power, and economics, and at the time China was heavily investing in it.

The third is that Asia has more economic power right now, and Africa doesn't right now. Africa doesn't hold as many semi-conductor factories as Asia, and has less GDP per capita. The supply chains affecting North America are more important in Asia vs Africa.

In sum, this is a political, and economic calculation, not Joe Biden being racist like when Trump closed down travel with Islamic countries with no covid-19 back in 2017.
I think you might need a sleep.

1) Trump not Obama is the one Biden objected to their actions.
2) Covid-19 not Ebola
3) Ebola while being more deadly has a tendency to burn out quicker by killing it's victims or at least stopping them moving round so much also it's almost always symptomatic
4) Yes Covid is already killing but it seems pretty silly to object to preventing Covid reaching the USA as best as possible then go "Ok but not this variant now this one extra variant is too much and warrants more action than the initial Covid-19 preventions.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You're not though. Society isn't physics. It's not a constant through all space and time. You are, at best, guessing how past people might react if transported to modern society. Chances are that if you took someone from more than a century ago, they'd be surprised at how strictly sex differences are coded into everything, regardless of their personal persuasions. The things we do now are basically a caricature of what worked in the past, taken to a detrimental extreme. Feminism challenged the overly male oriented world that emerged from the industrial revolution, where transgenderism insists on operating within the caricature, which is why those movements clash.
Despite what some weirdos on the internet might say, feminism and trans rights are not in conflict. Hell, every criticism you have of trans rights also applies to feminism itself

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Despite what some weirdos on the internet might say, feminism and trans rights are not in conflict. Hell, every criticism you have of trans rights also applies to feminism itself
That you've characterized my statements as " criticism of trans rights" indicates that you've understood exactly nothing I've said, and are stuck trying to fit the debate in a neat little box, where everyone sees things the way you do and are just chosing a side in your ecosystem

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Ok I think Tstorm is more on about the work of John William Money and the modern understanding of Gender etc based on his works. Also the weird proliferation in some circles these days that any actions outside of "gender norms" is considered evidence of a person being Transgender and no it's not merely some little weird faction who pushed it, the initial info came from Mermaids UK which caused the UK government to have to step in with advice for schools

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You first.
You really want me to post showing some of the people flipping from claiming the vaccine will be unsafe to anyone not taking it is an idiot?
I mean I will, you know by now I will. Just do you really want me to do it and prove it? and if I do what's it worth because honestly I don't feel like wasting my damn time proving what plenty of people possibly even you already knows is a thing that went down just to have people sink back and try to ignore it only to pop up again at some point with other attempted gotchas.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That you've characterized my statements as " criticism of trans rights" indicates that you've understood exactly nothing I've said, and are stuck trying to fit the debate in a neat little box, where everyone sees things the way you do and are just chosing a side in your ecosystem
I think you've gone and hilariously misunderstood what "critisism" means

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I think you've gone and hilariously misunderstood what "critisism" means
I haven't made any comment on trans rights, regardless of what "criticism" means. Just read my exchange with Terminal Blue, it's a lot more constructive.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
You really want me to post showing some of the people flipping from claiming the vaccine will be unsafe to anyone not taking it is an idiot?
I mean I will, you know by now I will. Just do you really want me to do it and prove it?
No. I fully believe you. I was always pro vax.

I just didn't thank Trump that much for it, I'd rather thank the lab workers and researchers more.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
No. I fully believe you. I was always pro vax.

I just didn't thank Trump that much for it, I'd rather thank the lab workers and researchers more.
The specific concern about Trump was that he would rush approval of vaccines before the trials were complete - these concerns largely on the basis that Trump himself suggested he was trying to pressure the FDA into granting early release. If he did try (it's hard to tell with Trump because he lies and bullshits so much) then it seems he did not succeed. This of course exists with the context of Trump having already vigorously supported useless treatments such as hdroxychloroquine.

That the FDA was felt to have carried out proper diligence raised people's confidence in the vaccine.

Reactions: Avnger

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The specific concern about Trump was that he would rush approval of vaccines before the trials were complete - these concerns largely on the basis that Trump himself suggested he was trying to pressure the FDA into granting early release. If he did try (it's hard to tell with Trump because he lies and bullshits so much) then it seems he did not succeed. This of course exists with the context of Trump having already vigorously supported useless treatments such as hdroxychloroquine.

That the FDA was felt to have carried out proper diligence raised people's confidence in the vaccine.
Yet 2 of the very top FDA officials quit over pressure from Biden...

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yet 2 of the very top FDA officials quit over pressure from Biden...
No, they quit because the administration moved ahead with a booster shot plan based on recommendation from the CDC without also waiting for direct approval from the employees' division of the FDA.

Current event:
- Boosters already FDA approved
- Booster rollout plan CDC approved
- Booster rollout plan still under consideration by FDA
- Admin decides to move ahead with rollout plan

There's a vast difference between what Agema described and what you're insinuating; not that any of us are surprised at you displaying poor reading comprehension....

Reactions: Agema

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
No, they quit because the administration moved ahead with a booster shot plan based on recommendation from the CDC without also waiting for direct approval from the employees' division of the FDA.
Yes. There's no great clarity on why they resigned (clashing with their boss is also claimed to be a factor) but it seems to me more that they didn't like CDC being on turf they thought should be theirs, not that they had a safety concern.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Current event:
- Boosters already FDA approved
- Booster rollout plan CDC approved
- Booster rollout plan still under consideration by FDA
- Admin decides to move ahead with rollout plan

There's a vast difference between what Agema described and what you're insinuating; not that any of us are surprised at you displaying poor reading comprehension....
Skipping part of the process to approve something is good? If this happened under Trump, this story would be so huge it wouldn't even be funny. There is no data that most people need boosters anyway.

From your own source:
The source said the final straw was the Biden administration's announcing the booster-shot plan before the FDA had officially signed off on it.

How is that any different from what I said? If the fucking president announces something, what do you think that does to an agency's approval process? How is that not fucking pressure to go along with the president's announcement?

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The fucking hypocrisy of this coming from a guy who thinks everyone should take drugs with zero proven efficacy or approval.
Avoiding the actual argument yet again. Two long-time top officials of the FDA quitting over political pressure is a good thing in your world? If this happened under Trump, we would not have heard the end of this.

I point out the hypocrisy over remdesivir and ivermectin with basically the same data for them. Either they should both be approved or neither should be approved. Having 1 approved and the other not approved is hypocrisy. We also have mask mandates with no proven efficacy either, but you're in the other thread saying masks work with no proven efficacy. Just because you like something (masks) doesn't mean it OK to be for just because you like it and it's OK to be against ivermectin just because you don't like it. The science has not proven either work so you should be against both of them if you are indeed objective and scientific about your recommendations.