Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think your source agrees with you. That link says it was used by activists from 2012 to 2016, not to attack them.

Emphasis mine. Your link is basically saying the same thing I am. "Woke" was used in some sense for decades, and used a lot by activists since BLM took off, but became a term used to attack people once corporations started using "woke" messaging to try and sell their brands.
Yes, the term woke definitely expanded when companies got involved. It's also when it lost all meaning as it very quickly meant that the definition just became 'I dont like it so I'll call it woke.'

But then, before they started using woke, they were calling it Anti-American, Comminist, Anti-family. They just found a new buzzword to say the exact same thing over the last century

Now, as I said, business definitely do use ideologies to sell products. Theranos was a good example. They misapplied the concept of Feminism to femJobs. They pretended that you can't criticize females because of previous history. Which is nonsense. Femisism is about deleting stereotypes. Eg. The old stereotype of girls not being good at math. Criticizing that misconception does NOT mean you think all girl are good at math. It just means we do it on a case by case basis, and try not to do blanket judgements. So, criticising femJobs for her work is fine. Criticizing her for being what you think a female should be is not. Most people on the left didn't see her as a good person

Because woke has just been applied to everything it might be hard to realise that most woke people aren't into capitalism. But, some Capitalists exploit the terms woke use to sell shit. Capitalists had a blood test to sell and they mutilated woke or Feminist terms to sell it because they thought pandering would help them

Lastly, I'm personally against all companies pandering whether it be woke, guns drapped in American flags, nostaglia reboots or even nappy commercials which all have the same vibe. The Team America World Police was partly about how pandering companies and the US government is to drive the population to a certain mentality. You realise that MAGA hats are just PR pandering to conservative identity politics. At least Gillette didn't try and force a hat on me.

Anyway, all this is to say that I wish there was a way to stop all this pandering to various because currently masculinity is based on 1980s pop culture and it would be really cool if society made up what masculinity means, not the directors of Predator and Missing in Action. Similarly, I can see She-Ra being lesbian propaganda

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Oh, tstorm. Maybe this would help understand what Im trying to say. Fox news clearly panders to Right Wing narratives but doesn't really understand it, doesn't cover everyone in the Rignt Wing and is trying to manipulate what they believe

Calling all the Right or even just the Alt-right Foxies or Foxheads would be an incorrect. The corporate side of things is another beast from the people actually in the group. If there is giant sums of money involved its a different thing from grassroots groups

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
And Life is Strange: True Colors is out and already being deemed not to have done enough

So the game isn't being racist enough to the characters or stereotyping them enough in what people think of about said culture?

Not making a big enough deal about the male characters flaws and blame in some events.

The Powers could count as manipulation now

Being able to choose who to romance is now problematic because the Lesbian romance top billed.

yep characters aren't racist enough or homophobic enough to the Player character, what an objection to have in what's meant to be an escapist medium?
Meh, LIS was one of those games that struck me as being high on it's own farts even at the best of times.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yes, the term woke definitely expanded when companies got involved. It's also when it lost all meaning as it very quickly meant that the definition just became 'I dont like it so I'll call it woke.'

But then, before they started using woke, they were calling it Anti-American, Comminist, Anti-family. They just found a new buzzword to say the exact same thing over the last century.

Now, as I said, business definitely do use ideologies to sell products. Theranos was a good example. They misapplied the concept of Feminism to femJobs. They pretended that you can't criticize females because of previous history. Which is nonsense. Femisism is about deleting stereotypes. Eg. The old stereotype of girls not being good at math. Criticizing that misconception does NOT mean you think all girl are good at math. It just means we do it on a case by case basis, and try not to do blanket judgements. So, criticising femJobs for her work is fine. Criticizing her for being what you think a female should be is not. Most people on the left didn't see her as a good person
And yet the problem is the woke ideology enforces it's own kind of conformity. It's not progressive it's replacing one set of standards with another mostly just being contrarian and trying to pull down what people liked or enjoyed before because "They're the enemy and if they like it it must be bad" all based on the idea there is no neutral on a moving train and so everyone must be with them or against them.

Worse it's often bringing back up the past, claiming the past version was problematic and the new version will "Fix it" by I dunno turning a Warrior princess who fights and saves the day into a girl obsessed with going to the prom with her girlfriend. But apparently it's good now and fixed because ignore all the new gender stereotyping stuff that's been applied to it as it doesn't matter because lesbians.

Because woke has just been applied to everything it might be hard to realise that most woke people aren't into capitalism. But, some Capitalists exploit the terms woke use to sell shit. Capitalists had a blood test to sell and they mutilated woke or Feminist terms to sell it because they thought pandering would help them
And it did until some-one in the woke group started asking questions. Scientists called it out and it got 1 article. A Journalist seen as an ally or at least trusted in said woke crowd covers it and suddenly the floodgates open.

Lastly, I'm personally against all companies pandering whether it be woke, guns drapped in American flags, nostaglia reboots or even nappy commercials which all have the same vibe. The Team America World Police was partly about how pandering companies and the US government is to drive the population to a certain mentality. You realise that MAGA hats are just PR pandering to conservative identity politics. At least Gillette didn't try and force a hat on me.

Anyway, all this is to say that I wish there was a way to stop all this pandering to various because currently masculinity is based on 1980s pop culture and it would be really cool if society made up what masculinity means, not the directors of Predator and Missing in Action. Similarly, I can see She-Ra being lesbian propaganda
The issue comes in my view when you take a brand traditionally associated with something then try to dramatically pivot it which keeps happening these days. Maga Hats were just the Shirt / pin / lawnsign but done as hats.

Gilette didn't force a hat on you. It thought you needed to be taught a PSA level lesson about how to be a good person while most of the actual pretty terrible people looked on and clapped and went "Yes you do need to be taught these lessons, we as the true progressives didn't need such lessons because we are already good and know this" meanwhile Weinstein, Whedon, Cuomo, Devin Faraci, Matt Hickey (games journalist), Alex Lifschitz and there's even allegations against members of the Young Turks at present are being exposed as or accused of abuse.

As for Masculinity it's not the 80's culture it's actually from before that. It's from the 60s era (Swords and Sandals films etc) which little kids saw with their mothers then made stuff inspired by it later which is why we get He-Man etc. Oh and society did make up that version of masculinity. Body Building took off and was liked and so companies tried making films using aid body builders and found women (primarily women) flocked to see them.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Gilette didn't force a hat on you. It thought you needed to be taught a PSA level lesson about how to be a good person while most of the actual pretty terrible people looked on and clapped and went "Yes you do need to be taught these lessons, we as the true progressives didn't need such lessons because we are already good and know this" meanwhile Weinstein, Whedon, Cuomo, Devin Faraci, Matt Hickey (games journalist), Alex Lifschitz and there's even allegations against members of the Young Turks at present are being exposed as or accused of abuse.
Where the right wing fails, however, is that they think all that suddenly makes THEIR regressive stances somehow correct. Just because the Young Turks turn out to be shit people, it doesn't mean that Roosh V and Milo are suddenly angels. Conservatives have yet to learn this.

Also cute thinking that Kojima was being CONSERVATIVE with Sons of Liberty. I facepalmed so hard it left a bruise.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Where the right wing fails, however, is that they think all that suddenly makes THEIR regressive stances somehow correct. Just because the Young Turks turn out to be shit people, it doesn't mean that Roosh V and Milo are suddenly angels. Conservatives have yet to learn this.

Also cute thinking that Kojima was being CONSERVATIVE with Sons of Liberty. I facepalmed so hard it left a bruise.
Who said I thought the right wing's views were correct either. This is not a binary choice in reality.

Also man there's a name I've not heard brought up in a while. Roosh V. isn't he like some born again Christian now?

I didn't say Kojima was being a conservative. I merely pointed to his work due to the concerning relevance to what has been going on with the idea of people just refusing to acknowledge problems if the other side brings them up and only acknowledging them when a prominent person on their side says it's now a problem. I mean Covid 19 was just a racists fear mongering about China remember and everyone should go out to the street parties and celebrations and don't you dare wear masks round Asian people because that would be racist....... then ooopppps turns out it was actually a threat and a problem.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Who said I thought the right wing's views were correct either. This is not a binary choice in reality.
Not in 2021 boyo. You're either with Conservatives, or a Communist. It's been made clear to me over and over again.

Also man there's a name I've not heard brought up in a while. Roosh V. isn't he like some born again Christian now?

I didn't say Kojima was being a conservative. I merely pointed to his work due to the concerning relevance to what has been going on with the idea of people just refusing to acknowledge problems if the other side brings them up and only acknowledging them when a prominent person on their side says it's now a problem. I mean Covid 19 was just a racists fear mongering about China remember and everyone should go out to the street parties and celebrations and don't you dare wear masks round Asian people because that would be racist....... then ooopppps turns out it was actually a threat and a problem.
But conservatives insist it's NOT a problem. Plandemic, mandated face diapers, and Ivermectin just proved the vaccines are unnecessary, remember?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
yep characters aren't racist enough or homophobic enough to the Player character, what an objection to have in what's meant to be an escapist medium?
I don't buy this part of your argument - it's bordering on the "keep politics out of games" trend.

If the game did explore these things and people complained about it, then it could go in the anti-woke thread.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Not in 2021 boyo. You're either with Conservatives, or a Communist. It's been made clear to me over and over again.
Try stepping a foot out of line with the commies and see just how quick you get deemed a dangerous right winger lol

But conservatives insist it's NOT a problem. Plandemic, mandated face diapers, and Ivermectin just proved the vaccines are unnecessary, remember?
You know what I also remember?

People claiming they wouldn't trust the Vaccine because Trump's government would be having it made and it somehow therefore wouldn't be safe.
I remember the WHO saying masks weren't effective until they suddenly were.

I don't buy this part of your argument - it's bordering on the "keep politics out of games" trend.

If the game did explore these things and people complained about it, then it could go in the anti-woke thread.
Well it would be more likely to be the woke lot complaining about the game having such stuff in it too. See for example that some of them complainned that enemies in The Witcher 3 apparently yell "*****" at Ciri when you're playing as her.

The only acceptable way would be if they villains were like the most comically inept KKK members doing it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well it would be more likely to be the woke lot complaining about the game having such stuff in it too.
It's possible, but that's usually the purview of SQWs. Addressing stuff like racism and sexism is comitting the cardinal sins of both pandering and inserting politics into games.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It's possible, but that's usually the purview of SQWs. Addressing stuff like racism and sexism is comitting the cardinal sins of both pandering and inserting politics into games.
Depends how it's done really more than anything.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Try stepping a foot out of line with the commies and see just how quick you get deemed a dangerous right winger lol
Oh I have. I've been slapped with the Nazi label more than once.

But lately, it ain't been them.

Also, it wasn't left wing loons who doxxed me and broke into my medical records to do it. It was a right winger on Deviantart who thought that was a great way to pwn a lib.

Well it would be more likely to be the woke lot complaining about the game having such stuff in it too.
But then again, I don't remember the Woke lot being the ones on Fox News screaming about Mass Effect having pubic hair that didn't exist, a game that even Jack Thompson didn't have a gripe about. I also don't remember the Woke lot screaming about reboot She-Ra not having big enough tits.

But again, I'm a filthy liberal communist that, as one other Deviantart conservative informed me, "Antifa in my heart", what do I know?

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

But lately, it ain't been them.

Also, it wasn't left wing loons who doxxed me and broke into my medical records to do it. It was a right winger on Deviantart who thought that was a great way to pwn a lib.
I didn't think there were many right wing Loons on Deviantart........... how odd

But then again, I don't remember the Woke lot being the ones on Fox News screaming about Mass Effect having pubic hair that didn't exist, a game that even Jack Thompson didn't have a gripe about. I also don't remember the Woke lot screaming about reboot She-Ra not having big enough tits.

But again, I'm a filthy liberal communist, what do I know?
I mean that was 14 years ago with Mass Effect, a lot has changed and not for the better since.
As for the She-Ra reboot there's a weird war on boobs happening by the woke lot for some reason. It's kind of hilarious that apparently they actually made She-Ra the series more stereotypically feminine just removed the boobs making it about prom and relationships and talking about feelings. Rather than old She-Ra which was strong warrior woman comes in to save the day.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Depends how it's done really more than anything.
More that it's done at all, in most cases.

Join the club. :(

I also don't remember the Woke lot screaming about reboot She-Ra not having big enough tits.
That one was taken by the anti-woke. Apparently She-Ra's less feminine appearance was part of a war on feminiity or something.

Also, something LGBT, something pandering, something-something...

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It's kind of hilarious that apparently they actually made She-Ra the series more stereotypically feminine just removed the boobs making it about prom and relationships and talking about feelings. Rather than old She-Ra which was strong warrior woman comes in to save the day.
I mean, a huge amount of classic literature is men and relationships and talking about feelings. I don't think giving She-Ra that treatment is necessarily more feminine.

That being said, from what I saw of that show, the writing was not good. There was practically no differentiation between characters, they all had identical personalities.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Apparently a Digital Foundry journalist found a character too sexy and to have unrealistic proportions because she's about a C cup lol

I think the game is Project EVE. But yeh imagine just outright admitting you are too distracted by the character looking sexy and pushing instead for some "Modern sensibilities" of having the character more covered up because you can't control yourself from oggling her to the point of distraction.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Apparently a Digital Foundry journalist found a character too sexy and to have unrealistic proportions because she's about a C cup lol

I think the game is Project EVE. But yeh imagine just outright admitting you are too distracted by the character looking sexy and pushing instead for some "Modern sensibilities" of having the character more covered up because you can't control yourself from oggling her to the point of distraction.
Funny that, couldn't find that part in the video.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States

Shit, now I have to go tell Airdorf I have to withdraw my support money I Patron him because he's a western dev...

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Man wait until Bayonetta 3, his brain is going to melt.