Furry Morality Question

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Harkwell said:
Internet Kraken said:
Absolutely disgusting. There is already a huge social inequality gap in the developed world. Something like this would only serve to widen it even further. People would be denied opportunities becuase they could not afford to purchase this serum. People would be incapable of doing as much as those who were fortunate enough to get the wealth needed to acquire it. Some people will merely use the serum to make up for their own lack of effort. Such a thing will only bring problems to our society, and thus must not be used.

As for it turning people into an animal human hybrid, that just makes a bad thing even worse. Hybrids brought about through the manipulation of genes should not be allowed in society. It would lead to a ton of discrimination from both sides. Humans would resent them for being "unnatural", while hybrids would view themselves as the superior species due to their genetic modifications. This would cause a ton of problems, obviously.
After reading the OP and this^ I will have to go with yes, and i will name us furries Coordinators and those of you who don't want your genes manipulated will be known as natural. We furries can live in space until a rather convoluted series of events occur that will bring us to war against the naturals on Earth.....hmmm this sounds vaguely familiar

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Is a furry. Fucking...yes...please. Only if I can choose what I look like, and only if my gf can too lol. That would be like 2 awesome things in one package.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I wouldn't do it, unless I could develop gills and able to hide them like Kevin Costner in Waterworld.
Actually, if I had the ability to breathe underwater, it probably wouldn't matter what I'd look like, 'cause there's no chance I'd want to leave. There is, however, a good chance that I would want to establish an undersea kingdom with me at its head.

I might also take a serum if it turned me into a wolf/human hybrid, the kind that would make me essentially a werewolf (The Wolfman kind, not the Twilight kind... also not the furry kind either, I'm talking more of the monster kind.)
I'd take that serum for the badassery, I also know of at least one friend of mine who would take it too, so I wouldn't be alone. And even if I was, who cares, I'd be a frickin' werewolf.

Harkwell

Sep 14, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Rad Dragonheart said:
I think such social descrimination only comes from people who cannot accept difference and think themselves superior, and in this case difference in appearence.
Um, did you even read the question? It's not difference in just appearance. These hybrids are more intelligent than you. By taking the serum they instantly become superior to you. The moral dilemma here isn't that people are becoming hybrids; it's that they are gaining a huge advantage over others in society because they had the money to buy the serum and were willing to altar their body in disturbing ways. You're letting people pay to become instantly better, denying others the same chance becuase they don't have the cash. It would drastically lengthen the already large social gap that exists in our society.
I never stated you had to buy it.

Telsa7Volt

Nov 9, 2009
I think a problem with this debate that people are not taking into account is reproduction. Can an aformentioned 'furry' have children? That would have a large impact on who would actually make that choice. Let's be honest, your screwing with genes on a major level. More likely than not, you're going to make everyone who takes this serum unable to pass on their genes, even with the other furries.

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
I would go for it. As far as discrimination and social gaps go, you are never limited by what people might think of you or where you sit in society. So if you really think another gap would cause any problems to a dedicated individual, tough cookies. Anyone who gives up on advancing themselves without being happy with where they are at is playing the game wrong.

Also those girls with ears and a tail... are like 10% furry at best.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Rhaab_PCfDP/furry_scale.jpg

Gotta get dangerous with it ;)

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
HELL YES I'D DO IT!!
Not only would I be super-enhanced, but I'd be a furry too.
I'd be a really smart, strong Wolf/Dog person...
Where can I find this serum?!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Harkwell said:
Internet Kraken said:
Rad Dragonheart said:
I think such social descrimination only comes from people who cannot accept difference and think themselves superior, and in this case difference in appearence.
Um, did you even read the question? It's not difference in just appearance. These hybrids are more intelligent than you. By taking the serum they instantly become superior to you. The moral dilemma here isn't that people are becoming hybrids; it's that they are gaining a huge advantage over others in society because they had the money to buy the serum and were willing to altar their body in disturbing ways. You're letting people pay to become instantly better, denying others the same chance becuase they don't have the cash. It would drastically lengthen the already large social gap that exists in our society.
Then the scenario you are suggesting makes even less sense. I know this all hypothetical, but at some point you have to draw the line and look at things from a realistic standpoint. How could something that modifies a person right down to their genetic code be given out for free? How could you mass produce? Who would mass produce that? And even if it was somehow magically free there would still be people who would be incompatible with it. So these people would be denied the serum even if it was free.

I was willing to accept the idea that it turns you into an animal-human hybrid, even though I don't see why increasing the capacity of the human mind would require changing to the physical appearance of an animal. Now you're just starting to be silly.

EDIT: I find the number of people who would openly altar their permanent appearance based on a sexual fetish to be highly disturbing.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Kukulski said:
zehydra said:
Kukulski said:
zehydra said:
Kukulski said:
Hell no. I'm talented; more excercise and studying and I'd still be ahead of those hairy freaks.
I think the point is that they're pretty much going to be automatically more intelligent and stronger than you ever will be.
I'd be like Ethan Hawke in Gattacca.

Or I would just accept my more than sufficent abilities and enjoy all the sex I'm getting from unafeccted women while you guys run around scaring elderly ladies and contemplating the horrors of existence.
lol. Sounds like fun. (I'm not a furry btw, and it sounds like you're trying to overcompensate)
Overcompensate? How?

Ok, maybe I do consider myself to be a smart guy, but I have good reasons for that. You know, the med school and all.
You were talking about how they'd all be freaks, how you're good enough to get laid frequently e.t.c.

"enjoy all the sex I'm getting from unafeccted women while you guys run around scaring elderly ladies and contemplating the horrors of existence"

this part in particular is what stood out to me.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Harkwell said:
On my way home today I had thought pop into my head. It has to do with furries but its not nessesarily restricted to them. Here goes.

Alright so a research company comes up with a serum and releases it this year. The company itself is not important, the serum itself is not important. If you have to ask, the company made the serum for the betterment of humanity.

What the serum does is improve your mental and physical prowess above that of a normal human. However, we're being realistic here. Your not Captian America, but the average serum user is equal in brains to a smart human. A genius user will always be smarter than a genius non-user. If you have never been able to lift a car, well now you can alibet only a foot or two. You can work longer, harder, faster, better, and stronger.

However, the serum does this by combining animal traits with human traits producing animal-human hybrids, the aforemention furry part. Using the serum turns you into a furry (assuming there are multiple types of serums for people who want a specific hybrid, one for a fox-human, wolf-human, etc...)

Obviously the person who uses it is going to face a lot of social problems, discrimination prominently. Honestly, I'd do it. Discrimination be damned I'd probably be smarter than all my co-workers, score one promotion for me.
In a heartbeat. Also, I would say this is less turning you into a furry, as it is turning you into a chimera. I would use this in a heartbeat, if I could make it, I would make one for myself and destroy the formula(I don't even really trust myself with minor super-powers, the rest of humanity is definitely on the excluded list).

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
So I could get some slightly superhuman abilities, but I'd have a tail and some animal ears?

Yeah, I'd do it.

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Harkwell said:
Internet Kraken said:
Rad Dragonheart said:
Then the scenario you are suggesting makes even less sense. I know this all hypothetical, but at some point you have to draw the line and look at things from a realistic standpoint. How could something that modifies a person right down to their genetic code be given out for free? How could you mass produce? Who would mass produce that? And even if it was somehow magically free there would still be people who would be incompatible with it. So these people would be denied the serum even if it was free.

I was willing to accept the idea that it turns you into an animal-human hybrid, even though I don't see why increasing the capacity of the human mind would require changing to the physical appearance of an animal. Now you're just starting to be silly.

EDIT: I find the number of people who would openly altar their permanent appearance based on a sexual fetish to be highly disturbing.
So most of your negativity is because you don't have the same views and feeling that other people do, and base it all on what gets someone else off? And you are worried about discrimination?

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Pfft, I wouldn't need to think about it. I'd just do it.

I get improved abilities and the bonus of looking like an anthro-whatever-I-want. Sign me up! Haters gonna hate.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Internet Kraken said:
Harkwell said:
Internet Kraken said:
Rad Dragonheart said:

Natural selections a *****, if someone isn't compatible with the serum, well they won't really be passing on their genes anymore. You can't look at it as what best for each individual person but whats best for the human race, if this increase in intelligence will help us co-exist, then why not?

Note: I do know that there is no guarantee that this will help humanity, but why not give it a try

VonKludge

Feb 28, 2008
Never.

No pain no Gain baby!

I know the question is looks versus abilities, but I hate the idea of being given abilities without having to work for them.

On the other hand, on a day to day basis, I favorise abilities to looks. Though I cannot stress enugh that abilities need to be aquired, not given.

Cheers!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Vidi Kitty said:
So most of your negativity is because you don't have the same views and feeling that other people do, and base it all on what gets someone else off? And you are worried about discrimination?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If you're suggesting that I'm discriminating against people becuase of their sexual feitshes, then I'd point out that a fetish is not something you should be flaunting and acting proud of. I do not mind people with fetishes, no matter how weird I think they are, so long as they keep it to themselves. Someone who altered their physical appearance in such a drastic way solely becuase of their fetish disturb me. This isn't changing your hair color, this is rewriting your genetic code. Genetic engineering is something we need to handle very carefully as a society to keep it from leading to major issues. Letting people change their appearance in such a major way becuase they have a fetish would hardly be doing so.

artanis_neravar said:
Natural selections a *****, if someone isn't compatible with the serum, well they won't really be passing on their genes anymore. You can't look at it as what best for each individual person but whats best for the human race, if this increase in intelligence will help us co-exist, then why not?

Note: I do know that there is no guarantee that this will help humanity, but why not give it a try
Genetic engineering is not good for our species. Allowing people to rewrite their genetic code for such frivolous reason can only lead to problems. I don't just mean discrimination either. People could rewrite their genes so that they become the perfect killing machines. And if we as a society are so indifferent to genetic modifications that we let people become human-animal hybrids, who is going to stop these people from doing so?

PinochetIsMyBro said:
Internet Kraken said:
Absolutely disgusting. There is already a huge social inequality gap in the developed world. Something like this would only serve to widen it even further. People would be denied opportunities becuase they could not afford to purchase this serum. People would be incapable of doing as much as those who were fortunate enough to get the wealth needed to acquire it. Some people will merely use the serum to make up for their own lack of effort. Such a thing will only bring problems to our society, and thus must not be used.
So everyone should be forced down to the lowest common denominator to achieve equality? Yeah I don't think so. That's a disgusting train of thought to have.

As for OP's question:
Depends on how furry we're talking here. Catgirls are fine, dangerously furry and onward(I'm sure you all know what picture I'm talking about) is a no go.
Denying people the ability to rewrite their genetic code is hardly "forcing people down to the lowest common denominator".

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Good idea, weird theory.
Night try it i guess if there might be a cerium to it.
Although would still be awesome to fly if the DNA would be a eagle.
Plus if everyone else is doing it it wouldn't matter about social problems or they would still envy you because of it.