Gabe Newell Divulges Valve's Secrets to High School Students

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
Huh, so apparently the most common profession portrayed by oscar winning actresses is a prostitute. AND they have chili cheese wraps for lunch tommorow!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
You know Gabe, why not come down here to UT-Austin? With 50,000 students, a dedicated club for game development (seriously, there is one), and a kick ass CS department, why not? Plus we've got some killer fast food down here, cuz we all know how much you like that (that's right, fat jokes until I get some info on Ep3. You fat, albeit brilliant bastard.)...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Sadly the announcements ruined the part about when Valve decides a game is finished. On the other hand, DID THAT GIRL SAY HAT DAY?!

Michael Enfield

Apr 8, 2010
Captain Pancake said:
Sadly the announcements ruined the part about when Valve decides a game is finished. On the other hand, DID THAT GIRL SAY HAT DAY?!
Yes she did. $1 to wear a hat at school all day, that $1 goes to charity too

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
I think the reason why he really took the time to have a video conference with that class is because that is where he previously studied in high school.

Anyhow, what's interesting is their "Create Adjustments -> Get Feedback" cycle. I think that kind of development cycle keeps the product fresh, which is an advantage.

Still... No EP3 hints???? :(

EDIT:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I was about to post "Why isn't gabe dressed as Ozymandias like he should be?". I think Gabe is a pretty cool guy, eh stabs women with a spork and doesnt afraid of anything
I lol'ed... :D

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Why do all game devs always respond to questions with "So, uh..." as if they ignored the question and are just saying a speech?

I hope that's not an ockams razor question...

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
That's really cool, but why did he pick that class? Why Sports and Entertainment Market?
Why not a school that specializes in video games?

Oh well, maybe they are specialized in video games, or maybe he goes to those classes too...

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I wish my classes could have talked to him...
Seconded.
OT: I got into an argument with a physiologist about video game violence last time my school had a speaker.
If Mr. Newell was invited to speak, I may be pacified. X3

Michael Enfield

Apr 8, 2010
Ekit said:
That's really cool, but why did he pick that class? Why Sports and Entertainment Market?
Why not a school that specializes in video games?

Oh well, maybe they are specialized in video games, or maybe he goes to those classes too...
We contacted him, since Video Games fit into Entertainment. At first we went around to a lot of video game developers, but then I remembered Valve and told my teacher about how good they were (and Gabe) about getting back to people who emailed him, then it was set up for the 10th at 1pm, but our school got a 2 hour delay due to the cold, so then it got delayed until the 17th at 1pm, and that's where this happened.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
this was actually pretty informative. I'm going into a related industry and happy to see that some of my past experiences will help in me landing a job, even if they didn't make me rich.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Hm, that's odd.... I heard a similar news story about an entire classroom that was eaten alive through a monitor..... I kid, I kid.... -1 month HL2E3