Gabe Newell Divulges Valve's Secrets to High School Students

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Arcticflame said:
The Lost Big Boss said:
Wait... what?

I had a dream of this last week, and now it fucking happens? Can some one please tell me why my dream just predicted the fucking future?!
Stay right there, we will be with you shortly to commence recruitment. If you are as good as we think you are, you know who we are and what you should expect, so be ready to begin the process.

On topic: Good ol Gabe, But I cant watch this and not feel jealous/sad that I don't work for Valve. One day perhaps... a man can dream right?
Ill never join you! BTW, don't open the brown paper bag on September 25, 2012.

Jack Macaque

Jan 29, 2011
That's why I've always liked valve, they're real people too, things like this remind us that there's hope left in the gaming world.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Okay, it's a little weird to see my high school's logo (that viking head) there on the bottom left of the video.

MrRogers

Feb 20, 2011
This was my Sports and Entertainment Marketing class that participated in the video conference. Yes, my name is Mr. Rogers, and yes, it is my neighborhood :) The video game industry is one of the largest, and fastest growing industries in the Entertainment sector. My students, like many of you, are very passionate about video games. I thought it would be cool to bring this passion to the classroom. A lot of you are wondering how we were able to set this up. This is a classic example of seeing something you want and making it happen. My students wanted to talk to people in the video game industry. A couple students put Valve at the top of the list. We focused on doing everything we could to get their attention (through e-mails and phone calls). It worked, and the rest is history. I will say that it also helped that Mr. Newell was very accommodating. He showed a genuine passion for the "younger" generation. His willingness to motivate and give back to these students should be very inspiring to other business leaders. Schools and businesses should have a very strong relationship. I?m glad everyone enjoyed the video. A special thanks to Michael for recording and posting it! PS, sorry about the announcements :) We muted it on his end so he couldn?t hear them, but had no way of muting it on our end. Hat day is always fun.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Michael Enfield said:
I was the one that recorded this, and I asked the first 2 questions
That's crazy. Did the kids in your class understand who this man was? I wish I could've seen how many raised their hands at some of his questions.

Apparently Gabe Newell didn't much like Mario Galaxy.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
most insightful 40mins on Steam and how to get a job at valve i've ever spent listening.

p.s. 75% off will nab you 40x increase in revenue?! WTF! O.O

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
most insightful 40mins on Steam and how to get a job at valve i've ever spent listening.

p.s. 75% off will nab you 40x increase in revenue?! WTF! O.O
Most likely because word of mouth and social networking is the biggest and best advertising you can get, in an age where this is the best way to do things, it's best to release low and at least get people playing and hopefully talking about it.
This is something you don't see the other big companies doing, because unlike Valve, they have to report to shareholders and investors.

Michael Enfield

Apr 8, 2010
Electrogecko said:
Michael Enfield said:
I was the one that recorded this, and I asked the first 2 questions
That's crazy. Did the kids in your class understand who this man was? I wish I could've seen how many raised their hands at some of his questions.

Apparently Gabe Newell didn't much like Mario Galaxy.
I don't think many people in there knew who he was, but a few did. I had a feeling that this would be really big, so I made sure that I brought my camera to record this (and got Gabe's permission, of course)

Nearly the entire class raised their hand to his questions