Gabe Newell Divulges Valve's Secrets to High School Students

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I learned so much from this. I will definitely rewatch it later. Newell's insight was extremely impressive and rightfully so.

Dangerbean

Jan 18, 2010
Ekit said:
That's really cool, but why did he pick that class? Why Sports and Entertainment Market?
Why not a school that specializes in video games?

Oh well, maybe they are specialized in video games, or maybe he goes to those classes too...
Its quite possibly this was the only class that asked

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
"Hi this is Gabe Newell". I seriously love it, everytime he says that.
I think He's a genius and one of the few people I admire from the gaming industry.

thethingthatlurks said:
(that's right, fat jokes until I get some info on Ep3)...
I think you're doing it wrong.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
My dear god those kids are supremely lucky. I'd love that class if I talked to Gabe Newell. I'd probably be a A student if stuff like that happened. ;-;

Som_kun

Jan 24, 2011
i've chilled with Gabe at valve... twice
my high school programming teacher knew Gabe, and we went my freshmen and softmour year for our game programming class!

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
necromanzer52 said:
Americans have to recite the pledge of allegiance whenever there are announcements?
Hmm, well back when I was in high school about ten years ago, I think it was only in the mornings with the morning announcements. They had afternoon announcements too, but those were mostly for the sports club things and about which bus was actually getting there on time. The afternoon ones didn't have a pledge.

OT: Pretty cool, bro. I'm sure they were told not to ask about HL:E3 beforehand. If not then it was a missed opportunity. :)

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
am i the only one that after he said the part about getting players to sorta advertise for him, felt like he was almost quoting portal?

"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Seriously, could nobody have thrown in the obligatory "So what's up with HL:EP.3" question? They didn't even necessarily have to ask that, specifically...it could have been along the lines of "So...how's Gordon Freeman been doing? Will he be getting up to anything new anytime soon?"

socialtangent

May 23, 2009
That was really nice of Gabe to put aside some time to personally answer questions from those students. Say what you want about the Mannconomy, but Mr. Newell really has incredible insight into the game industry. This man definitely knows what he's doing, and I couldn't have thought of a better person to ask about the industry.

But imagine if they had Bobby Kotick instead. I think it would've gone something like this:

Kenneth Robinson

Apr 2, 2010
Ekit said:
That's really cool, but why did he pick that class? Why Sports and Entertainment Market?
Why not a school that specializes in video games?

Oh well, maybe they are specialized in video games, or maybe he goes to those classes too...
That's because he's talking about the marketing side of video game development, he also notes many parallels with the sports industry at the start of the video.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Will everyone shut up about the next Half-Life game? Can't you take it as red that Valve will complete the saga they've been working on for more than 10 years? And furthermore, that they would make it the best they could possibly be? They aren't a developer that will meander around and just make a game. They'll make it as fucking brilliant as possible, even if it takes forever. It's why they're so successful.

walkingdead127

Jun 24, 2009
This is a very advanced high school marketing class if they understood and got something they can use from it

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I think the coolest thing I learned from this video is that Gabe Newell's favourite videogame is Super Mario 64, and that he was disappointed by Super Mario Galaxy. I would not have picked that one.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Michael Enfield said:
Captain Pancake said:
Sadly the announcements ruined the part about when Valve decides a game is finished. On the other hand, DID THAT GIRL SAY HAT DAY?!
Yes she did. $1 to wear a hat at school all day, that $1 goes to charity too
I need to get something like this at my school, it would make my life =D

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Wait... what?

I had a dream of this last week, and now it fucking happens? Can some one please tell me why my dream just predicted the fucking future?!

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
The Lost Big Boss said:
Wait... what?

I had a dream of this last week, and now it fucking happens? Can some one please tell me why my dream just predicted the fucking future?!
Stay right there, we will be with you shortly to commence recruitment. If you are as good as we think you are, you know who we are and what you should expect, so be ready to begin the process.

On topic: Good ol Gabe, But I cant watch this and not feel jealous/sad that I don't work for Valve. One day perhaps... a man can dream right?