Gabe Newell Gives Away Personal Steam Password

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Wait... So if my computer were to die randomly and I got a new one, then I couldn't log in to my steam account on that and re-download all my purchased games?

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
i hope i'll at least have the option to allow use on a different computer. Don't want to end up losing all my games when i replace mine

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
CrystalShadow said:
Therumancer said:
CrystalShadow said:
unoleian said:
Delusibeta said:
Spot the spelling error.
I don't dectect anything.

---

I wonder, what happens if someone has an identical PC build? Do they somehow log serial numbers as well? I'm not entirely familiar with this hardware security concept.
It doesn't work that way. (and it wont work at all on all but the newest intel CPU's).

This is like having a specific code in your computer that no other computer on the planet has.

I'm sure there's a way to crack it, but just having an identical PC won't do the trick, because the internal code number (or whatever it actually is) would still be different.

The problem with this is that it can be used by a company to screw you over later.
Making sure something you buy will only work on one computer. Ever.

Yeah... A very scary technology disguised as something 'useful'.
The same thought occured to me as well, with all the money I've invested in STEAM despite not liking the digital platform (hey those sales are tempting!) I don't want to lose it all whenever I next get a new PC.
It's already a fact of life on game consoles.

Wiiware & the virtual console is all well and good, but if I lose my console for any reason, it's all gone. (And there is literally no way to transfer it. - Although, it appears Nintendo has noticed this problem with their systems, and created a way for 3DS downloads to be transferred between units.)

I don't know if the PS3 and Xbox 360 are quite that bad, but somehow I'm not inclined to think they're much better. (There's no incentive to do any better than that on a closed proprietary system.)

Well, not really. I know with the 360 you can transfer your liscences, there was a video explaining how to do it on XBL at one point as one of the questions Major Nelson answered. You basically need to have an account, access it on the internet, and transfer them between machines, you can just be liscenced to only one console at a time.

I don't remember the details since I didn't have to do it, but at least with the 360 it can be done.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Therumancer said:
CrystalShadow said:
Therumancer said:
CrystalShadow said:
unoleian said:
Delusibeta said:
Spot the spelling error.
I don't dectect anything.

---

I wonder, what happens if someone has an identical PC build? Do they somehow log serial numbers as well? I'm not entirely familiar with this hardware security concept.
It doesn't work that way. (and it wont work at all on all but the newest intel CPU's).

This is like having a specific code in your computer that no other computer on the planet has.

I'm sure there's a way to crack it, but just having an identical PC won't do the trick, because the internal code number (or whatever it actually is) would still be different.

The problem with this is that it can be used by a company to screw you over later.
Making sure something you buy will only work on one computer. Ever.

Yeah... A very scary technology disguised as something 'useful'.
The same thought occured to me as well, with all the money I've invested in STEAM despite not liking the digital platform (hey those sales are tempting!) I don't want to lose it all whenever I next get a new PC.
It's already a fact of life on game consoles.

Wiiware & the virtual console is all well and good, but if I lose my console for any reason, it's all gone. (And there is literally no way to transfer it. - Although, it appears Nintendo has noticed this problem with their systems, and created a way for 3DS downloads to be transferred between units.)

I don't know if the PS3 and Xbox 360 are quite that bad, but somehow I'm not inclined to think they're much better. (There's no incentive to do any better than that on a closed proprietary system.)

Well, not really. I know with the 360 you can transfer your liscences, there was a video explaining how to do it on XBL at one point as one of the questions Major Nelson answered. You basically need to have an account, access it on the internet, and transfer them between machines, you can just be liscenced to only one console at a time.

I don't remember the details since I didn't have to do it, but at least with the 360 it can be done.
Well, that makes sense. With all the 360 failures, it's just as well. XD

I guess the reason it's possible is because there is an XBL account registered online to a specific user.

The Wii doesn't have any online components registered independently from the console ID...
So there is no way to transfer it, because there's no other information identifying an account.

Eh. Hopefully this won't degenerate any further.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
It awesome that he has enough confidence in the steam team to do that. I wonder how many steam guard alerts he's getting now?

AsianMafiaSin

Mar 19, 2010
I could see a future message from Anonymous: Release HL: Ep 3 or the account will be destroyed, but that would require them actually hacking it open

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Arizona Kyle said:
MrMoustaffa said:
omicron1 said:
MoolyFTW, eh?

Urban Dictionary says it (mooly) is a derogatory term used by Italians for black people... or just "eggplant."

So, is Gabe Newell a secret racist? Or a fan of Eggplant Parmesan?

Only asking him directly will tell.
Given what we know about Gabe, I'm pretty sure its safe to say that its the latter...

(btw that was a fat joke for all of you that didnt get it :p)
But eggplant is healthy.... if Mooly ment doughnut or tub of lard then you could claim fat joke
Oops my bad i didn't see the Parmesan after the eggplant

<link=http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/nutrition/All_Foods/Vegetables/Eggplant_parmesan_casserole_regular.html>Eggplant Parmesan is NOT that healthy.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
omicron1 said:
MoolyFTW, eh?

Urban Dictionary says it (mooly) is a derogatory term used by Italians for black people... or just "eggplant."

So, is Gabe Newell a secret racist? Or a fan of Eggplant Parmesan?

Only asking him directly will tell.
"Mooly" is also a common nickname for "Shmuel" (the Hebrew equivalent of "Samuel"). Make of that whatever you will.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
The Great JT said:
I'll bet Gabe's got his fried chicken recipe in there NO, BAD ME, NO FRIED CHICKEN JOKES, IT'LL DELAY EPISODE 3 THAT MUCH LONGER!
So Gabe plays Wow?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hum, foreign computer. All I need to do is break into Valve and use his computer, it's brilliant! *grabs a crowbar and runs off*

Its interesting that he thinks so highly of the system but I hope somebody doesn't work around it and make him look like a fool.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
I'm gonna call on one of the top rules of computing:

Someone will ALWAYS find a way around these sorts of things, hackers are persistent bastards

And for this reason i agree with the idea that it is prob a dummy account

Mar 9, 2010
I tried, I failed. Now I can't remember my password for Steam, again. I swear to God I have it written down somewhere around here.

It's a good security system, one that I hope will work for a long time.

Harsh2808

Mar 30, 2010
Can anybody verify that this is actual Gabe's account? I know he does have an account that he uses often, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one was a dud, just in case the inevitable happens. ;)

Anyone worrying about the new security system, it's completely optional and only available with new intel processors. Lots of people asking questions about that.

Harsh2808

Mar 30, 2010
Garak73 said:
Harsh2808 said:
Can anybody verify that this is actual Gabe's account? I know he does have an account that he uses often, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one was a dud, just in case the inevitable happens. ;)

Anyone worrying about the new security system, it's completely optional and only available with new intel processors. Lots of people asking questions about that.
Don't most mandatory things start off as optional? Remember when registration was optional...now it's called activation and it's mandatory.
Yeah, but I don't see this one going this way, at least not for a long time. For one thing, it's only available on two, brand new, top of the line processors. Both of which are of the same brand. So. Until ALL processor makers use the same or a similar system and all computers for 5 years beforehand have had these processors, I can't see it being possible to be mandatory. Valve wouldn't shut off their customer base by telling people they had to buy compatible processors. At least...I hope not, those massive trolls..