Gabe Newell Gives Away Personal Steam Password

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Mantonio said:
Some Random Tosser said:
ragecandybar said:
Delusibeta said:
A Reddit user tried to use said log-in and password.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

Spot the spelling error.
Spelling error dectected.
... dammit, we just made a new meme.
No, we haven't. Stop that.

Memes are like catchphrases, they catch on by themselves. If someone says something funny and someone goes 'HEY GUYS I THINK THIS IS A NEW CATCHPHRASE' what happens? You kill any chance of it being so.

Good job.
Good. We're getting too many memes.

Anyway, it is definitely very bold of Gabe to announce his password to, for all intents and purposes, the whole wide world. I wonder how long it will take someone to crack it?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'm honestly waiting for someone to just log onto his personal computer and just transfer the account over to a laptop.

Not sure how gabe would take that though :L

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Randomologist said:
I really don't think this is his real account. It's probably one he had set up, which as the big cheese at Valve I shouldn't think is hard to do.
I think if it's broken into, all they'll find is a fully functioning demo for Episode 3, which they'd release the same day it was discovered. Fingers crossed then! ^^

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
So it's intel stuff? What about those of us with AMD processors?
We get to sit on the sidelines and point and laugh when intel inevitably finds a new gimmick to pursue and this one crashes and burns in a few months.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
SyphonX said:
The Youth Counselor said:
BabyRaptor said:
This kinda reminds me of that Blizzard guy giving out his real name to try and prove that people using RealID couldn't find any personal info on you just by seeing your name.

Incase you don't know the story, it took the forum goers all of 15 minutes to find his address and send pizzas to his house. And that was the tamest thing they did.
They went too far by posting pictures of his family members, including the children. That they took themselves.
Never heard about this, don't know if it's true.

If it is true... how is it "too far"? It was just enough in my opinion. It proved to everyone that the system was completely bogus and people's privacy, person and families were at risk.

Aside from that, it would just put your privacy on the line no matter what. One could simply make an accusation according to the RealID name, to any person outside of the forums/game. There is absolutely no need for it, and I don't see why any independent, sensible person would support a system like this. If forums bother people so bad, then just piss off and watch TV because clearly people are taking it far.. Far too serious.

Did anything happen to the children or people in question? No. So it wasn't in bad taste, it's a win in my opinion.

It's not like they "hacked" him anyway. He was a Blizzard employee yes? Well that's a small pool of people to select a name from. Still, they got the address either way, impressive.
"How is it too far"?

These were strangers from the internet who showed up at his house then stalked the guy's children and took pictures of them to share.

"Did anything happen to the children or people in question?"

Aside from what I said, does there need to be anything else? And a lot of bizarre and threatening calls and letters were received by him and his household.Then there was harassment, with dozens of unwarranted pizzas being the most tame. That's in bad taste.

But you're right, these deeds were probably necessary to prove this point.

Not dropping the bomb Hiroshima may have allowed other and bigger bombs to be dropped. But we learned our lesson on the horrors of nuclear war early on. Just because it happened to one guy despite hundreds though, doesn't mean it's not horrendous.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I don't want to make use of this system given that I'm going to be switching to a different computer in a few months, don't want to lose all my steam games for a second time (more so now, I've spent over £100 on games that I can only access on steam)

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'll bet Gabe's got his fried chicken recipe in there NO, BAD ME, NO FRIED CHICKEN JOKES, IT'LL DELAY EPISODE 3 THAT MUCH LONGER!

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
therandombear said:
...so appearantly you can't do anything on another pc if you're not using the PC you linked steam security with...that's balls.

How are you gonna prove that you are really you to steam support? Secret Question? I hate those, I always forget it :p

Should get a authenticator thingy like blizz, I have it on the ipod, not gonna pay for one xD

When I changed my email I only had to give them a serial key that is linked to account / my credit card number

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
The Youth Counselor said:
"How is it too far"?

These were strangers from the internet who showed up at his house then stalked the guy's children and took pictures of them to share.

"Did anything happen to the children or people in question?"

Aside from what I said, does there need to be anything else? And a lot of bizarre and threatening calls and letters were received by him and his household.Then there was harassment, with dozens of unwarranted pizzas being the most tame. That's in bad taste.

But you're right, these deeds were probably necessary to prove this point.

Not dropping the bomb Hiroshima may have allowed other and bigger bombs to be dropped. But we learned our lesson on the horrors of nuclear war early on. Just because it happened to one guy despite hundreds though, doesn't mean it's not horrendous.
You don't say.

So you're saying, by posting RealID on the internet, they put themselves at risk.. ? So I guess that means, if they forced everyone (millions of people who use Blizzard products) to use RealID, then any of those millions are put at risk because of some company's very irresponsible business decision.

It was done in jest, to prove to everyone that it was a complete joke, and dangerous. I find it completely absurd that anyone should be forced to use their real names on the internet. Far too absurd, it is completely asinine and dangerous. It's easy to be targeted as is, but with your real name to virtually confirm your posting identity as well... ? Give me a break.

They got what they deserved. They got a taste of what would happen to any of the millions who might have been forced to use the crap. You're making a lot of assumptions about "stalking" and "posting pictures of children" as if it has some other sexual or criminal undertones. Yet you say nothing about the fact that they almost FORCED everyone (millions of people) to share the same risk for some very childish and unworthy cause. "To lessen forum flaming." Oh the horror.

Serious lack of risk assessment competence on that one.

I'm not even going into your little Hiroshima spiel.

dEeP-fRiEd

Apr 1, 2010
I don't get the point of that security system. Sure it will help prevent account theft.
On the other hand, isn't the point of Steam that you can log on from everywhere (any computer) and access your games...

Other than that, nice PR stunt.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I am going to assume you would go through a procedure to "de-authorize" the machine you are connected to before traveling so you can "log on from everywhere". If that's the case, sign me up for one of these.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, I still have no intention of getting this system since I like being able to use Steam from my desktop as well as from my laptop...

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
For those of you who wonder how you change an account to another computer, essentially you need to call in with your steam account and your -credit card number- .

It's kinda a good system, as if a hacker has your credit card info, they aren't going to care much about your steam account.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Got to love how worked up some people get because they've not bothered reading about the system.

It's not a compulsory security measure, it's entirely optional and requires a second gen i5/i7 processor (so it will not work with your i5 750/i7 860 etc).

An alternative is email authentication, Steam will send a unique code to your choice of email address when you want to log on. Pretty tedious, but reasonably secure.

Or you could just not bother with any of it.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hm. I like this. It shows he has confidence in Steam's secrity, something which you'd hope was so.

(Y)