Gabe Newell Says Steam Hack Is Worse Than Expected

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Could anyone familiar enough with these HaXiN' matters give me an estimate till the first (possible) leak-related incidents start to pop-up?

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
Well, they reacted quick!

Also: I'm not sure how to check is credit card info is saved. Can someone tell me where to go so I can check?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I've never bought a Steam game with my credit card and with Steam Guard they won't even be able to do anything with my password, if they have it. So, I'm not really worried but I'm still going to change my password.

*old man's voice*
Back in my day, people wouldn't steal credit card information. If they wanted money, they'd simply go and rob a bank.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Steam Guard
Use Paypal
Dont save paypal info
Live in the EU, so you can have fun with my billing address, we have laws to protect me from you using that info to take my money xD.
Steam Guard
Use diff passwords
Steam Guard

I dont wanna hear more complaints that Steam is bad again, the fact that it can get hacked and i STILL dont get worried, tells wonders about how good it is.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This database contained information including user names
On its own, not a huge deal.
hashed and salted passwords
Since it's hashed and salted, depending on the algorithm used, it's probably not a huge deal. Still better to change your password, to be on the safe side.
game purchases
BFD
billing addresses and encrypted credit card information.
I take it the addresses aren't encrypted? This could pose a security issue, if they can also get the card info. However, depending on how well the card info is encrypted it may not be a huge deal.
We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.
It's reassuring that we probably don't have to worry, and even more reassuring that Valve is continuing to investigate anyway.

All in all, I don't think this is much cause for concern, and I think Valve is handling it exactly as they should. Sony, take note!

P.S. Thanks

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
... I can't seem to change my password :( They "can't process my request". Well, that's annoying...

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
... I can't seem to change my password :( They "can't process my request". Well, that's annoying...
I had the same issue I just had to try again in 30 min. Many people are changing passwords today me thinks.

I am annoyed that it happened but glad I was told about it rather than them saying oh no worries I am sure you are all fine, no need to tell you.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
Gennadios said:
Free copies of Portal 2 for everyone effected.
i'm sure if you can prove to valve that the hack has created a new person, they'll happily give you a free copy of portal 2. in the meantime, those of us affected won't hold our collective breath.

this sucks, but i hope this news is the most it sucks. it'd be nice to not have to cancel my card, since my bank is made of jerks.

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
I'm glad I use temporary e-cards from my bank when I buy steam games, they can't misuse a card that doesn't exist. ^^

I don't really feel the need to change my password though. You can't log in from a new computer without a code they send to your email, and I have a completely different password for that... Plus I'm just too bloody lazy. :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TitanAtlas said:
Also... why hack Steam? i acctually don't get it... it's user friendly for the community, it has loads of promotions, its good to use...

Is there any kind of corporate corruption going on, or is this a statment of "WE WANT HL3 NOW" awfully performed?
Why rob the friendly neighborhood bank? Because of money.

OT: Oh, yay. I'm not worried, I've found out hard way that Steam Guard works fantastically.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
2fish said:
Wicky_42 said:
I had the same issue I just had to try again in 30 min. Many people are changing passwords today me thinks.

I am annoyed that it happened but glad I was told about it rather than them saying oh no worries I am sure you are all fine, no need to tell you.
Yeah, kudos to Steam for not getting their panties in a twist and releasing what seems to be a pretty comprehensive explanation of the situation. It's a shame that it's happened to them, but given that the data was encrypted people should have plenty of time to change details they may feel have been compromised, rather than finding out weeks after the event the extent of the problem. Or at least, I hope that's how it works, lol ;)

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
This is how companies shhould react when faced with hackings. They explained the faxcts clearly, consisely and honestly, then apologised and offered advice.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Steamguard should protect account HAAAX, and HOPEFULLY gaben keeps our credit card information where he keeps his food.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
2fish said:
Wicky_42 said:

Yeah, kudos to Steam for not getting their panties in a twist and releasing what seems to be a pretty comprehensive explanation of the situation. It's a shame that it's happened to them, but given that the data was encrypted people should have plenty of time to change details they may feel have been compromised, rather than finding out weeks after the event the extent of the problem. Or at least, I hope that's how it works, lol ;)
You are right. It can take weeks (Per account, possibly) to break the encryption user accounts were under.

Feb 13, 2008
mateushac said:
Could anyone familiar enough with these HaXiN' matters give me an estimate till the first (possible) leak-related incidents start to pop-up?
Realistically they should have shown already. Given that Steam is hashed and salted, and Steamguarded, the hackers will have to take control of the accounts before the passwords are changed.

Unless they're trying to trojan Steam itself...in which case it's a battle between Steam/Hackers, which is unlikely to affect us at all.

Even if they've got right into Steam, the chance of them hacking anyone has to be a million to 1, yet still they come.

Getting into Steam, reasonably easy: for them. Getting out with anything? That's tough. Going back in with that information? Near impossible.

The risk is still there of course, but you know how many people use Steam. And not one has screamed "I'VE BEEN HAXXORD!"? That's a damn solid system.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Question. Steam always makes me enter a code everytime I try and login from a different computer - heck, even a different browser from the same computer. So if someone did manage to get hold of my password, I'd know about it because I'd get an email saying "you have tried to log in from a new location" and they wouldn't be able to get in unless they had also hacked my email, right?

Even if this is the case, it's really good to see Newell coming out early to address the issue. Pay attention, Sony.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Ldude893 said:
Good thing I don't buy games on Steam, so I never put in credit card information.
Your avatar will haunt my dreams tonight, I hope you're happy with yourself.

OT: Go Gabe Newell for telling us, et cetera.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I had to come up with a new memorable password only a few months ago, now I have to come up with ANOTHER.

Well, I suppose you SHOULD change passwords regularly anyway...

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
If this hack happened on Sunday, why did it take so long for them to get notification out?

Granted, it isn't nearly as bad as Sony's example earlier in the year...but shouldn't we have been informed earlier? Am I wrong in thinking that mass notification within 24 hours of the incident is realistic?