Gabe Newell Speaks: What About Counter-Strike 2?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gabe Newell Speaks: What About Counter-Strike 2?

If you could ask Valve big dog Gabe Newell any question, what would it be?

I'm sure we all have questions that we'd like to ask the heads of major design studios. Many of us would love to ask Shigeru Miyamoto what his next original game is, or would love to ask Tim Schafer who his favorite character was, and I'm sure some of us would probably like to ask Bobby Kotick if he actually has a soul.

At the Intel Extreme Masters professional gaming tournament (possibly the same event where Gabe gave away his Steam password [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108247-Gabe-Newell-Gives-Away-Personal-Steam-Password]), Intel VP Shmuel "Mooly" Eden had the chance to ask the Valve head honcho one question before he left the stage.

"When will you release Counter-Strike 2?"

Honestly, Gabe Newell's reaction is kind of adorable. He's clearly not prepared for that question in front of a crowd of thousands, and he manages to wave his hands and stammer a bit before saying that the company needed to ship Portal 2 and DotA 2 first. The more conspiracy-minded among you may note that he didn't say that a sequel to the wildly popular military FPS wasn't in the works, though.

Since, you know, it isn't like there's another beloved Valve title in desperate need of a long-awaited sequel or anything.

(RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/08/counter-strike-2-release/])

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Random Argument Man said:
Half life 2 episode 3 demand in 3.....2...1....
dude why would you tempt them. Their annoying enough when they pop up on their own.

Sidenote
css2 is a bad idea
WHAT WOULD YOU ADD
if you graphics then your missing the point of that game.
CSS2, Where art students use style sheets to lay cunning traps for each other. Capture the website, free the artsy coffee-house hostages, or be a member of the web design fashionitsa. The two most powerful ideas in the internet come together at last.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Wouldn't Counter-Strike Source technically qualify as "Counter-Strike 2"?

Nice to see a developer appear at a e-Sports event, though.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
bahumat42 said:
dude why would you tempt them. Their annoying enough when they pop up on their own.
I'm not "tempting". They'll post anyway and I just wanted to make a little fun out of it.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Let me make this incredibly clear...

WE DON'T NEED A NEW COUNTER STRIKE:SOURCE

It's doing incredibly well as it is, and we CS:S players also like it the way it is. Just keep updating it with any patches and fixes, it's fine. It's still the 1st and 2nd most played game on Steam, and it's almost 7 years old, the other game that shares the limelight is Counter Strike 1.6., which is almost 11 years old.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Counter Strike 2, now with more bunnyhopping, AWP quickscoping, kids spamming mics, and now a dedicated "hacking" mode where players play with all the hacks on! Pre-Order now for the AWP scope with your anime girl of choice inside the scope. Perfect for all the campers out there in need of eye candy while they wait. But wait! Order the deluxe edition and we'll ship out the entirely free boots of the rabbit! Now bunnyhopping is less of an exploit and more of an integration! Pre-orderers will also receive the new "noob-cannon" as a TF2 exclusive.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
A follow up to counterstrike:source and 1.6 would be really difficult. The community added so many things on their own and they take anything officially added sensitively. Mostly because they are so damn devoted to the game that the average cs player may seem like an obssessive pro to the newb.

Still a 10 year old game (cs 1.6) and Counterstrike:source (css and almost 7 years old) are constantly top played games of the day on steam. It would be a feat to not only top expectations but keep the current community going. It would likely divide the original fanbase and obviously bring in newcomers that don't care for the older fans(lol more tension and debate). It would not be really surprising for them to make another addition to this franchise since as said above, CSS is almost 7 years old.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Both counterstrikes at tops of current players and peak

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Counter-Strike 2 would be great, really.
Fix the hitboxes up, make things a bit more fluid... that'd be nice.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Is it just me or does Gabe remind anyone else of Peter Griffin?
Thank christ I'm not the only one =)

It seems weird that they'd ask him about CS over Half Life Episode 3, but then again it is a professional gaming tournament so you'd expect them to be big on CS, moreso than Half Life.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I love his reaction, but I'm kind of surprised someone asked about Counter-Strike 2. It just sort of came out of no where.

tinkyyy

Nov 17, 2008
Zechnophobe said:
bahumat42 said:

Sidenote
css2 is a bad idea
WHAT WOULD YOU ADD
if you graphics then your missing the point of that game.
CSS2, Where art students use style sheets to lay cunning traps for each other. Capture the website, free the artsy coffee-house hostages, or be a member of the web design fashionitsa. The two most powerful ideas in the internet come together at last.
I like these additions. Can we put them in place now?

Really, I only played it for the first time last year (being a mac user and all) and I don't think it really needs much changing. I didn't care much about the graphics being a bit dated because the gameplay itself was fun.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009

I'm wondering what will be his plan after Portal 2 and DOTA 2.
Who wants to bet CS2 is coming out before Episode 3?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That is not the sequel I would ask for...
If I were Gabe, I'd released a smoke bomb (always carry one) and gone and released ep 3.