Gabe Newell thinks Windows 8 will be a catastrophe?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Still using XP here.

That being said, why should I care what Gabe (valve drone) has to say about anything?
Well, if you're not a Valve fan, then you shouldn't, and I'm not sure why you entered the thread.

OT:

Features such as Xbox LIVE integration could make the Windows Store and Windows 8 a more appealing platform for gamers and developers alike than Steam.

Because nothing is more appealing than more Live support!

Wait...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, that would make sense.

It also more likely he would have more information and more hands on experience than any of us. As a game developer, they more than likely sent valve some prototype so they can start making/porting games to the system. That's what they do with consoles, in any case.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nazulu said:
Sober Thal said:
zehydra said:
allinwonder said:
Everyone is following Apple's suit: be as closed as possible.

Basically Apple is ruining / has ruined the PC industry, just like COD is ruining / has ruined the gaming industry.
Nah, I don't think COD is ruining the gaming industry when the game itself has a "hatebase" (like a negative fanbase), kinda like Rebecca Black.
CoD has a popular fanbase. The hate people are actually a rather small VOCAL MINORITY, fyi.
No, they're everywhere. I have no doubt more probably hate it now than like it. At least I see it everywhere.
You hideously underestimate the amount of passing fans that just don't go around praising it.

Of my friends who play games, there's sixteen CoD fans and two dedicated haters (plus myself). I only know this because I actually asked them if they play CoD.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well after using the Dev preview.. I really do not see it. Its really hard for it to be a catastrophe when its basically just Windows 7 with gadgets removed and replaced with touch tiles that can easily be turned off and never seen again. Its hard to be a catastrophe when the hook of the OS will just become abandoned.. just like gadgets.

I mean I do get it. Microsoft is not consumer friendly. Neither is Apple, Neither is Sony, Neither is Valve or any large scale corporation. They do what they do to make money and protect what they have invested for better or worse. So in a consumerist society they are simply playing the game by its design. They only and should only be worried about what the customer thinks up till the point that they A: obtain a sale, and B: ensure a future sale.

If their practices become unacceptable, people will either force them to change with their wallet or move to satisfactory alternatives.

I REALLY hate having to put it so poorly, but dont hate the player, hate the game. Dont like the game, do something to change it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Sober Thal said:
Still using XP here.

That being said, why should I care what Gabe (valve drone) has to say about anything?
Well, if you're not a Valve fan, then you shouldn't, and I'm not sure why you entered the thread.
Didn't you get the memo? Gabe is nothing but another goon for the company. There is no system of responsibility here. It's a fucking free for all with no one steering the boat. That's why they haven't made a real game for so many years. They can only try to update dated fps multiplayers trying to catch up with CoD. It's all they know, cuz they have no center.

I long for the days when Valve gave a shit about me.
I take it that you weren't a fan of Portal 2, Alien Swarm, or the new filmmaker.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I've already installed the Windows 8 release preview and from what I can tell it's nothing like that. It has optional integration with your live account that can save your Windows settings in the cloud, and there was an Xbox Live app in the new start menu but since I don't have an Xbox I right click->uninstall and it's completely gone. Other than that it is basically Windows 7 with a new start menu (which is basically like the homescreen on an android phone right down to the possibility of live gadgets and a shortcut to the full list of programs) and everything else still works the same as before, though there are a few additional features (mounting images natively is the bomb, closing off things my ass) and a different looking lock screen. Gaben needs to try it for himself before passing judgement.

imagremlin

Nov 19, 2007
WoW Killer said:
I'm still using XP. And I'm still waiting for a valid reason to use anything else. Will there be any point to 8? Like does do anything XP doesn't that would justify the massive system hogging that would accompany it?
Not living in a security Swiss cheese perhaps?

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I'm confused by this as well, as a launch pad Metro is kind of nice, but as a storefront, it's a storefront run by Microsoft. I can't see why any rational educated adult would ever use it for anything. Is it locked down in some secret way I've heretofore been completely unaware of.

Oh and for all the skeptics from the preview 8 is just a very slightly improved version of 7. It has a few under the hood improvements and the metro launchpad which does a good job of cleaning up your startbar and desktop with just a little management (ie removing every single thing that comes on there by default).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Sober Thal said:
Still using XP here.

Didn't you get the memo? Gabe is nothing but another goon for the company. There is no system of responsibility here. It's a fucking free for all with no one steering the boat. That's why they haven't made a real game for so many years. They can only try to update dated fps multiplayers trying to catch up with CoD. It's all they know, cuz they have no center.

I take it that you weren't a fan of Portal 2, Alien Swarm, or the new filmmaker.
I am a fan of Portal 2, but not for $60. They fucked our ass hard on that release. Alien Swarm is just another co-op indie game, and the 'filmmaker' is just another desperate attempt to appease the simple folk.

Sorry, but I demand real (single player over 4 hour) games from Valve, and they haven't delivered in over 8 years.

You don't need to argue me, just accept I'm a jaded soul. It's okay.
It IS okay. Just be glad that there's a dozen other game companies ready to pander to your tastes.

Now, I, on the other hand, can't find my alternative to Cyan Worlds.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Windows 7 is the worst OS I've ever used; it's the most committee-designed bag of balls to be foisted upon me. Every feature feels like it's been streamlined to help idiots that don't know how to work a computer, constantly wrestling control from the user and erecting obstacles for people who know how to check their e-mail without downloading fifty trojans and giving all their bank details to a Somalian warlord.

Assuming Microsoft continue this trend with 8, it's times like this I wish I wasn't too stupid to run Linux.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
8 is gonna be scary. Why? It looks like the layout of a touch screen, that's why. So fuck Microsoft and thank god I have a solid understanding of Linux.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Sober Thal said:
Still using XP here.

I am a fan of Portal 2, but not for $60. They fucked our ass hard on that release. Alien Swarm is just another co-op indie game, and the 'filmmaker' is just another desperate attempt to appease the simple folk.

Sorry, but I demand real (single player over 4 hour) games from Valve, and they haven't delivered in over 8 years.

You don't need to argue me, just accept I'm a jaded soul. It's okay.
It IS okay. Just be glad that there's a dozen other game companies ready to pander to your tastes.

Now, I, on the other hand, can't find my alternative to Cyan Worlds.
Yeah, that sucks. Myst was never really explored as a genre since... I can feel your disdain too.

It sucks when great things die off early on in their life's cycle.
It really does. I'm even reading the books and researching the Gametap story. But it's... over. Feels bad, man.

I do appreciate the efforts of Dreamcatcher (if they're still alive) and the scattered indies, but no game of the kind has been nearly so organic and simple as the Myst series.

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
Denamic said:
Wayneguard said:
I dare anyone to try and get kotor 2 to work on windows 7.
Challenge accepted.
Challenge completed.
I played through it a few weeks ago on 7, had no problems.
Well, except the ye olde swoop racing bug, but that's not exclusive to 7.
I never had a problem playing KoTOR 2 on Windows 7.

Personally, I think that Windows 8 will sell initially but won't be as successful as 7 overall.

Mar 25, 2010
Sober Thal said:
lacktheknack said:
Sober Thal said:
Still using XP here.

You think they are trying to catch up to COD? None of their games are like COD, and TF2 is a vastly superior, more balanced, and just more colorful game then any COD post-4 has ever been. They don't need to "catch-up" to COD. I really think they are far past it.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Wayneguard said:
WoW Killer said:
I'm still using XP. And I'm still waiting for a valid reason to use anything else. Will there be any point to 8? Like does do anything XP doesn't that would justify the massive system hogging that would accompany it?
I'm wishing that I had stuck with XP like you have. At the time, I lambasted it for its failings... how little did I realize the horror that was to come. I dare anyone to try and get kotor 2 to work on windows 7.
You too? I picked up a pristine copy of Kotor2 from a good will of all places and for the life of me can't get it to run right... Currently playing the original courtesy of steam though. P.S. do you know of any way to get Kotor2 to run properly?