Game Articles and Videos Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I think the bottom line is that the game does more than many may think in terms of improving the visuals and atmosphere, but they still dropped the ball in terms of gameplay improvements.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I think the bottom line is that the game does more than many may think in terms of improving the visuals and atmosphere, but they still dropped the ball in terms of gameplay improvements.
My bottom line is that this game is super unnecessary. If you're only improving the visuals, atmosphere, but not much in the gameplay department, then what's the point? Rhetorical question, so no need for an answer.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I don't remember seeing this brought up much but yeah, why DOES shepherd have to be the one who makes the decisions on the genophage? The genophage and the Krogan are a GALATIC ISSUE and has been for centuries and arguably should be something dealt with by the Krogan and the Galactic Council. Hell, it's not even a pressing problem because the Krogan aren't going to evolve out of the genophage in the next few years, this is something that's not going to be a problem for decades or centuries down the road and shouldn't be a decision you and you alone should be making NOW. I know they want you to feel important here but why can't it be passed up the chain to be dealt with by the galaxy and the krogan? Hell, why hasn't this been dicussed for the past few centuries on a galatic level about "What happens if the Krogran start breeding explosively again? What if the krogans go extinct because the genophage worked too well?" Why is this Shephards call to decide between continuing the forced sterilization program of an entire species or not WHEN MUTIPLE SPECIES NEED TO BE MAKING THIS DECISION?

Because arguably Shephard needs to be getting a HUGE pay raise if they are going to have to make decisions like that. I mean, if I were the the leader of Seal Team 6 and I were asked to solve Global Hunger I'd ask for a raise at the very least.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I don't remember seeing this brought up much but yeah, why DOES shepherd have to be the one who makes the decisions on the genophage? The genophage and the Krogan are a GALATIC ISSUE and has been for centuries and arguably should be something dealt with by the Krogan and the Galactic Council. Hell, it's not even a pressing problem because the Krogan aren't going to evolve out of the genophage in the next few years, this is something that's not going to be a problem for decades or centuries down the road and shouldn't be a decision you and you alone should be making NOW. I know they want you to feel important here but why can't it be passed up the chain to be dealt with by the galaxy and the krogan? Hell, why hasn't this been dicussed for the past few centuries on a galatic level about "What happens if the Krogran start breeding explosively again? What if the krogans go extinct because the genophage worked too well?" Why is this Shephards call to decide between continuing the forced sterilization program of an entire species or not WHEN MUTIPLE SPECIES NEED TO BE MAKING THIS DECISION?

Because arguably Shephard needs to be getting a HUGE pay raise if they are going to have to make decisions like that. I mean, if I were the the leader of Seal Team 6 and I were asked to solve Global Hunger I'd ask for a raise at the very least.
You beat me to it. Glad you did though.

Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

ME3 is a game where the main bad guys are humanity first terrorist (Reaper? never heard of them) and yet the game narrative is shamefully humanity first. I wonder if the writer realized that as they were making the game.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
ME3 is a game where the main bad guys are humanity first terrorist (Reaper? never heard of them) and yet the game narrative is shamefully humanity first. I wonder if the writer realized that as they were making the game.
The Citadel DLC reveals that the Council knew damn well the Reapers were a threat and they still lie to your face in ME2 when you bring it up in a private meeting. Which means either the writing staff fucked up hard or the council were fucking idiots.

It's one thing if the official word was to downplay the reapers while preparing for their arrival to avoid a panic but another just to tell your top reaper expert/spec ops agent "No, this isn't a thing" with a straight face just to make you think you have to work for Cerberus because the writing staff couldn't find a better way to get you to work with human supremist terrorists without giving the council a massive idiot ball in ME2.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

So bad news, Graham Stark of Loading Ready Run has Cancer. He was also part of the Escapist back before....the event.
Less bad news, he's in treatment and apparently he's doing okay.
Better news, the LRR guys got Unskippable back and are gonna start doing them again, so hooray! Also LRR is apparently doing a bunch of stuff I didn't realize they were doing. I really enjoyed unskippable so that's great news to me.

Lot of talking about the old days of the escapist back in the before times, the long long ago.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

So bad news, Graham Stark of Loading Ready Run has Cancer. He was also part of the Escapist back before....the event.
Less bad news, he's in treatment and apparently he's doing okay.
That sucks. I wish him wel.
Better news, the LRR guys got Unskippable back and are gonna start doing them again, so hooray! Also LRR is apparently doing a bunch of stuff I didn't realize they were doing. I really enjoyed unskippable so that's great news to me.
Neato. Fyi, if you weren't aware, most of the old Unskippable eps are on The Escapist's yt channel, among other pre event video content (tho a lot of stuff is missing)

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
That sucks. I wish him wel.
Neato. Fyi, if you weren't aware, most of the old Unskippable eps are on The Escapist's yt channel, among other pre event video content (tho a lot of stuff is missing)
I was but I'm glad LRR got them back....finally. Especially considering the escapist never did anything with it after those guys left but kept the IP anyway. At least Gavin kept MiracleOfSound, which I'm sure plenty of us are grateful for.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I don't remember seeing this brought up much but yeah, why DOES shepherd have to be the one who makes the decisions on the genophage? The genophage and the Krogan are a GALATIC ISSUE and has been for centuries and arguably should be something dealt with by the Krogan and the Galactic Council. Hell, it's not even a pressing problem because the Krogan aren't going to evolve out of the genophage in the next few years, this is something that's not going to be a problem for decades or centuries down the road and shouldn't be a decision you and you alone should be making NOW. I know they want you to feel important here but why can't it be passed up the chain to be dealt with by the galaxy and the krogan? Hell, why hasn't this been dicussed for the past few centuries on a galatic level about "What happens if the Krogran start breeding explosively again? What if the krogans go extinct because the genophage worked too well?" Why is this Shepard's call to decide between continuing the forced sterilization program of an entire species or not WHEN MULTIPLE SPECIES NEED TO BE MAKING THIS DECISION?
Victus and Linron are the top of the chain. The councillors on the Citadel report to THEM. Shepard was empowered by Admiral Hackett to engage in diplomacy on humanity's behalf. So that already puts one more race in the room than there was when the Turians and Salarians thought of, developed and then deployed the genophage. And with Wrex as head of state/government for the Krogan being present, their interests are represented. The Asari declined to attend, even after Shepard argued for them to be there.

Because arguably Shepard needs to be getting a HUGE pay raise if they are going to have to make decisions like that. I mean, if I were the the leader of Seal Team 6 and I were asked to solve Global Hunger I'd ask for a raise at the very least.
Shepard did not solve the problem. Maelon, Eve and Mordin solved the problem by developing the cure, albeit in parts and not as a cohesive research unit. All Shepard - who again, is a Council Spectre - was asked to do was make sure their solution was implemented.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Victus and Linron are the top of the chain. The councillors on the Citadel report to THEM. Shepard was empowered by Admiral Hackett to engage in diplomacy on humanity's behalf. So that already puts one more race in the room than there was when the Turians and Salarians thought of, developed and then deployed the genophage. And with Wrex as head of state/government for the Krogan being present, their interests are represented. The Asari declined to attend, even after Shepard argued for them to be there.

Shepard did not solve the problem. Maelon, Eve and Mordin solved the problem by developing the cure, albeit in parts and not as a cohesive research unit. All Shepard - who again, is a Council Spectre - was asked to do was make sure their solution was implemented.
Okay I withdraw my complaints then. I think i really do need to replay the Mass Effect series again.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Disco Elysium-like.

I'm gonna hold you to that, Pat. If I play it and it doesn't live up to that, I'm gonna.......I'm gonna......I'm gonna make a video of me pouring Canadian maple syrup down the drain and send it to you. See how you like that, Pat! That'll show you! That'll teach you to toy with my emotions!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Disco Elysium-like.

I'm gonna hold you to that, Pat. If I play it and it doesn't live up to that, I'm gonna.......I'm gonna......I'm gonna make a video of me pouring Canadian maple syrup down the drain and send it to you. See how you like that, Pat! That'll show you! That'll teach you to toy with my emotions!
50:50 shot that'll just clog your drain.

If you want disco elysium like, I recommend citizen sleeper. Not quite as good but still very good.