BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Not just xbox, but that era was great in terms of the entire industry
If that is Crowbcat's newest video, then I'm not watching. He has a point, but he's not the only one that come to this conclusion. I got burned hard by his Resident Evil 4 video, and the lies he spouted and misinformation he tried to spread. I can't trust him anymore.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Dude explains how he trained a bot to play og Tomb Raider and comment on its ingame actions and environment while in-character as Lara. Kinda fascinating.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just watched Max's video, and apparently the female characters aren't expressive enough in Tekken 8. I find that debatable. Sure, they're not nearly as expressive as the women in Street Fighter 6, but that's nothing new for either franchise. Street Fighter has always exaggerated its characters even with this more realistic art style. They definitely take more damage now and leave physical bruises and scratches on their character models. Male or female. Tekken still has more expressive female characters than the ones and most of the Dead or Alive games. It really wasn't until DOA5 and DOA6 that the female characters became more expressive and just didn't look like dolls. Especially with DOA6. All the characters showed physical damage. Though the guys still usually got it the worst though. I give Team Ninja points for effort.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
One of my favorite locations in the game -

It seems normal and innocent enough on the surface, until you learn what the hell happened there.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Just in case you were worried that IGN had developed functioning thought from that one video

And this isn't a slag on Baldurs Gate 3, its more "and also what?......" which they never really answer (Diablo 4 gets mentioned, which is just dumb to even be in the same conversation, and Disco Elysium (that niche indie game from over a year ago now)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It's ironic that people like to slag on IGN and then one guy there puts out that one stupid video ranting about how "some developers" are complaining about BG3 being too good and reaction was like "finally IGN makes a good point" when it did NOT make a good point.

Sterling does a good job explaining the point made about BG3's expectations in actual context. And they are right, of course. And the IGN dude completely missed this point.

So it's ironic because I think the IGN hate is unwarranted or exaggerated (typical "I'm too cool to like something big" internet b.s.) but then the one thing getting praise is dumb. Maybe not ironic, just... typical.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So it's ironic because I think the IGN hate is unwarranted or exaggerated (
No, the hate is warranted and most of it is not an exaggeration. The company has a history of intentionally misrepresenting a game, making flaws up, not completing the games that weren't broken or buggy, but still getting a final score like they did, and a few years ago, plagiarism with one of their writers. Who did it twice before he end up getting fired.

Need I remind you of their Double Dragon Neon and God Hand review? They made two different second opinions for GH, but the second one came so late in the 2010s that the damage was already done. The person that reviewed the game never even finished the game and couldn't get past the first stage. The guy did get fired, but it was for something completely different and not his crappy reviews. Don't even get me started with their Dynasty Warriors reviews. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of these games either, but they clearly didn't play them or just plain don't like them. The series did get worse over the years, but IGN was never on the money of the reasons why. The same IGN that claimed that "no one" cares about OG Devil May Cry anymore, when the reboot came out, only to try and suck up to the fans and act almost as if it never happened, or to downplay the bad marketing of DmC 2013, when DMC 5 came out. So they have many to answer for.

As for this point, you are right, but I'll still give it somewhat to IGN for at least trying this time. The only other thing I can say is that I might be getting it mixed up with the Polygon guy, but they're fighting game guy is good. He actually tries and does his job. I could be wrong and I have to look that one up later.

EDIT: Yeah, Polygon has the fighting game guy, so never mind on that end.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
No, the hate is wanted and most of it is not an exaggeration. The company has a history of intentionally misrepresenting a game for making flaws up, not completing the games that weren't broken or buggy but still getting a final score like they did, and a few years ago, plagiarism with one of their writers. Who did it twice before he end up getting fired.

Need I remind you of their Double Dragon Neon and God Hand review? They made two different second opinions for GH, but the second one came so late in the 2010s that the damage was already done. The person that reviewed the game never even finished the game and couldn't get past the first stage. The guy did get fired, but it was for something completely different and not his crappy reviews. Don't even get me started with their Dynasty Warriors reviews. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of these games either, but they clearly didn't play them or just plain don't like them. The series did get worse over the years, but IGN was never on the money of the reasons why. The same IGN that claim5 that "no one" cares about OG Devil May Cry anymore, when the reboot came out, only to try and suck up the fans and act almost as if it never happened or to downplay the bad marketing of DmC 2013, when DMC 5 came out. So they have many to answer for.

As for this point, you are right, but I'll still give it somewhat to IGN for these trucks. The only other thing I can say is that I might be getting it mixed up with a polygon guy, but they're fighting game guy is good. He actually tries and does his job. I could be wrong and I have to look that one up later.
Outlets like IGN produce tons of content every week. I'm sure you're right about the things you say but is this par for the course or specific cases? Are most of their reviews like this? I genuinely don't know but I'm guessing not.
It's like the criticisms of The New York Times or Washington Post, where it's easy to find genuine failures of journalism and don't get me started on their editorials. But that doesn't negate the valuable journalism they do. I don't wanna derail into politics I'm drawing a comparison to something I know more about when it comes to scale. IGN is like the NYT of games in that they produce tons of content and to declare it "bad" means you have to identify an entire top-down mechanism for purposeful wrong-doing (like Fox News). I've read/seen a bunch of good and accurate reviews on IGN over the years.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's ironic that people like to slag on IGN and then one guy there puts out that one stupid video ranting about how "some developers" are complaining about BG3 being too good and reaction was like "finally IGN makes a good point" when it did NOT make a good point.

Sterling does a good job explaining the point made about BG3's expectations in actual context. And they are right, of course. And the IGN dude completely missed this point.

So it's ironic because I think the IGN hate is unwarranted or exaggerated (typical "I'm too cool to like something big" internet b.s.) but then the one thing getting praise is dumb. Maybe not ironic, just... typical.
Only "The Gamers " could interpret "let's make sure a rush for better games doesn't result in crunch and worker abuse" as "you people don't deserve better games".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Outlets like IGN produce tons of content every week. I'm sure you're right about the things you say but is this par for the course or specific cases? Are most of their reviews like this?
Not every review is like this, but their incompetence and intentional laziness ever since 2005-06 is astounding. They've gotten "better" in some minor aspect, those might as well not exist.

It's like the criticisms of The New York Times or Washington Post, where it's easy to find genuine failures of journalism and don't get me started on their editorials. But that doesn't negate the valuable journalism they do. I don't wanna derail into politics I'm drawing a comparison to something I know more about when it comes to scale. IGN is like the NYT of games in that they produce tons of content and to declare it "bad" means you have to identify an entire top-down mechanism for purposeful wrong-doing (like Fox News). I've read/seen a bunch of good and accurate reviews on IGN over the years.
NY Times and WP are better publications than IGN can ever hope to be. I know those two have made their own mistakes and screw ups, but not to the extent and tragedy major disaster that is IGN.

• This is the same IGN that had one of their reviewers' plagiarize the same YouTuber twice, and was never investigated by the higher ups the first time around. The YouTuber had to do their own job for them, for the IGN dumb ass to get fired.
  • The same IGN that brings whoever on board to say old God of War games/fans don't matter anymore. The same IGN that was begging and asking for more M-Rated games like Greek GoW like crazy back in the mid to late 2000s under the same breathe. They love only preaching to the choir/echo chamber when its convenient.
  • The same IGN with many of the same shitty hot takes and keep constantly claiming/gaslighting their audience into thinking none of the 3D Sonic games are good nor great, and falsely claiming each time that only the 2D ones are good.
  • The same IGN that insulted brawlers fans and kept claiming how we, the games, or fans of the genre don't matter and are "brainless button mashers." Brawler fans are eating great and we got the last laugh!
  • The same IGN that shat on Japanese games for most of the late 2000s and early 2010s like most other publications.
  • The same IGN that rarely ever takes responsibility nor accountability and will either blame it on someone else, other gamers, or even their own target audience.
  • The same IGN that constantly sucked Activision's, Ubisoft's, 2K's, Bethesda's, and EA's dicks without much fuss or muss.
Yeah, there's plenty why people shit on them, and for many good reasons. I know there are people who only hate on them to be "cool", but assholes like them always existed, and they don't mean a damn thing to me. You'll always have gossiping hens, cocky cocks, and people on both sides getting high off their own farts. Doesn't change what IGN and many other publishers are/were guilty of doing.

Last edited: