Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There will always be white-knights who will defend their precious multiplayer game to death and spend a good chunk of money on it.
And they can continue to rot in the hell that they created for themselves and everybody else.

Why are they so in-your-face about it? Not to mention these promotion usually are accompanied with some of the most obnoxious soundtracks ever heard.
Because if you don't get it now that you're a pussy or poor ass biatch! It's the same thing Epic did with Fortnite. Manipulate and have kids bully each other, if they only have/can only afford the default skin(s). Using peer pressure to have these kids spend money they don't need to spend, or taking their parents or guardians wallet without understanding the concept of money and value, nor their permission.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Figured as much. I mean it's fucking Konami who's been screwing over not just the MGS community but also the Contra community with that god-awful game in 2019. Now I'm really worried about all the upcoming silent hill games.

I also really hate the FOMO marketing strategies; They are all like "Guys, check out this new skin, new map, new weapon, new hero we're adding this season! Buy the battle pass and get access to all of them!" Why are they so in-your-face about it? Not to mention these promotion usually are accompanied with some of the most obnoxious soundtracks ever heard.

Let's also not forget multiplayer games are the cesspools of toxicity. I can sort-of understand on the competitive/ranked side, but casual modes seems to attract all matters of ragers, trolls, cheaters, whiners, feeders, toxic crowd of people. I sort of blame the esports on this one; The amazing team-work and knowhow shown in these professional matches has created an unrealistic expectations, resulting in toxicity.

I might've enjoyed Overwatch more had it not been for the competitive mode being added by force. In fact, I think that was the exact moment when I felt I was drifting apart from the game. Everyone kept screaming if this game was gonna turn into esports, and I think Acti-Blizz pressured Jeff Kaplan and others to do so. It resulted in years of people complaining about the balances, Jeff leaving the team, OWL eventually getting shut down, and OW "2" becoming absolute trash.

The absolute worst part is, despite all the toxicity, despite the fix-it-later mentalities from live-service models, and despite the publishers not giving a rat's ass about the oversaturated market and screwing over the player base, it still makes a ton of buck. There will always be white-knights who will defend their precious multiplayer game to death and spend a good chunk of money on it.
Well, there are costs associated with running servers (though any of the ones doing P2P hosting instead of dedicated servers can F off on that). So either you pay the whatchamjigs, or you buy a new game every year instead (map packs were also a thing, but had the issue of forcibly splitting the playerbase, which is actively dangerous to the game)

(funnily, my earliest recall of this sort of thing was Street Fighter 2's 800 different editions, and Mortal Kombat did the same thing although they positioned them as sequels up until the 3rd which just kept re-releasing as Trilogy and Ultimate and whatever else)

Are there double-dippers and obviously inflated cases on that, sure. But theres a baseline behind it.

Any streamer or lets player could also tell you, there's a huge toxicity pool in general for people observing another persons gameplay. Maybe its down to as you say (which is a funny thing extending beyond eSports. Critiquing a drummer cuase they don't play math metal beats, or a DM because they don't have the time and resources to put together Critical Role style presentations)

Reactions: FakeSympathy
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
A cautionary tale -

Impressively thorough fix though. I’m surprised all that was even possible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't know that was coming out this soon.

Edit: like I predicted this game did not need to be a rogue like/whatever. From what I'm hearing and seeing, those elements aren't even that good and lacks enemy variety. I I'm staying away from this one I already got three brawlers with rogue type elements. Two out of the three as an optional bonus mode.

Last edited: