Game Articles and Videos Thread

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall fan remake / port, whatever, on Unity:

Bethesda "biggest" game

Well I just think it's interesting that there's this strong love for this old Bethesda game and it is just the latest example for me of how, you know, it's ok for things to change and end. In particular the idea of the big huge world with tons of shit to do. Apparently, this 1996 (!) game is Bethesda's biggest, at least according to the article, and I can imagine in 1996 this was like, woa, mindblowing.
But here we are in the year of our lord 20 and 24 and Starfield drops with a big meh with its big open galaxy. So at some point in the ensuing 27 years tastes, standards, design, interests changed, I dunno.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Now you can get a Series S toaster. Only toasts one slice at a time tho.
For toaster parity, Microsoft is demanding that all bread manufacturers restrict their bread to toasting one slice at a time in all toasters.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Neat. I didn't realize this game was still around in re-releases, but I don't really do nostalgia gaming anyway. To me it was just one of those things I remember playing in arcades. I remember thinking it was... fine? We weren't picky in those days.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Neat. I didn't realize this game was still around in re-releases, but I don't really do nostalgia gaming anyway. To me it was just one of those things I remember playing in arcades. I remember thinking it was... fine? We weren't picky in those days.
You are really not missing much. No reason most people bring this up because of all the re-releases and nostalgia involved.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You are really not missing much. No reason most people bring this up because of all the re-releases and nostalgia involved.
I mean I do remember the game. I also remember Golden Axe, a game that in the video was spoken of highly. I also don't remember if it was "objectively good" or not but...

story time!..

I used to spend my teenage summers in this weird Russian-owned "resort" (house) in upstate New York because of family/business connections... don't ask..
Anyway they would have have like one or two arcade machines in the common room. Who knows where they got them from even.

It was interesting to see in retrospect which of us gravitated towards which games, became obsessed/expert. We had one of the many Galaga/Space-Invaders clones called Gaplus and man my buddy got on that one and was champ of that, local hero.
My jam was Golden Axe. I was obsessed. I'm like 14 when I'm begging hording stealing saving quarters.
One day I am on a roll, I am storming through levels. I get pretty far, I'm near the end. I now have a crowd watching me and cheering on, and the best part was it included some of the old timers just wanted to see what happened.
But I ran out of quarters and then the community banded together to donate all their change, run to the front office to scrounge out whatever they could, all so that I could finish the game and I did! Cheers and exultations for the group all around, but primarily me, yay!

You know how sometimes there are lists and blogs and videos and threads about "greatest gaming moment" or whatever. "Oh the time I finally beat Orenstein & Smough" and the like. Well this is mine- old people and little children feeding me change to see the end of Golden Axe.

And, no I don't remember what actually happens in the end lol

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean I do remember the game. I also remember Golden Axe, a game that in the video was spoken of highly. I also don't remember if it was "objectively good" or not but...

story time!..

I used to spend my teenage summers in this weird Russian-owned "resort" (house) in upstate New York because of family/business connections... don't ask..
Anyway they would have have like one or two arcade machines in the common room. Who knows where they got them from even.

It was interesting to see in retrospect which of us gravitated towards which games, became obsessed/expert. We had one of the many Galaga/Space-Invaders clones called Gaplus and man my buddy got on that one and was champ of that, local hero.
My jam was Golden Axe. I was obsessed. I'm like 14 when I'm begging hording stealing saving quarters.
One day I am on a roll, I am storming through levels. I get pretty far, I'm near the end. I now have a crowd watching me and cheering on, and the best part was it included some of the old timers just wanted to see what happened.
But I ran out of quarters and then the community banded together to donate all their change, run to the front office to scrounge out whatever they could, all so that I could finish the game and I did! Cheers and exultations for the group all around, but primarily me, yay!

You know how sometimes there are lists and blogs and videos and threads about "greatest gaming moment" or whatever. "Oh the time I finally beat Orenstein & Smough" and the like. Well this is mine- old people and little children feeding me change to see the end of Golden Axe.

Golden Axe is objectively good though and still plays great. There's some minor wonky hick detection, but otherwise the game is fine. If you have the xbla port, you can adjust the games frame settings and difficulty however you want. That even includes attack animations. I know you don't have your Xbox anymore so you can't really do that in this case. They're still plenty of compilation packs that have the original arcade and Genesis version. Revenge of Death Adder is still the best of the franchise. Also, we're getting a new 3D Golden Axe and 3D Streets of Rage. But is it still early, but as long as Sega and Hoover they are outsourcing take their time, all should be good. They know they can't afford the screw this up. Any of the games they had that trailer for at the VGAs.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ok the Prince of Persia- I am excited for Lost Crown but when I realized I wouldn't be able to play it on my Steam Deck I was peeved- it seems like the perfect Deck game. So I will just patiently wait for that, I think Ubisoft games are making their way to Steam these days.

It's funny I do kind of want that Sands of Time remake because I never played the original and I'm curious to experience this beloved game that does seem perfectly in my wheel-house. But I also complain about all these remakes dominating the gaming culture so... *shrug*

I think it'll be interesting and a bit ironic if Persia makes a come-back with movement and combat and story and reclaims that space from the franchise it gave it up to 15 years ago, Assassin's Creed. I'd be down for that.

The video mentions the Rayman series and I never played it and it looks cute, I may check it out if I ever see it on sale.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Golden ax is objectively good though and still plays great. There's some minor wonky hick detection, but otherwise the game is fine. If you have the xbla port, you can adjust the games frame settings and difficulty however you want. That even includes attack animations. I know you don't have your Xbox anymore so you can't really do that in this case. They're still plenty of compilation packs that have the original arcade and Genesis version. Revenge of Death Adder is still the best of the franchise. Also, we're getting a new 3D Golden Axe and 3D Streets of Rage. But is it still early, but as long as Sega and Hoover they are outsourcing take their time, all should be good. They know they can't afford the screw this up. Any of the games they had that trailer for VGAs.
Yeah the Sega mega-remaster-box-set thing they announced was intriguing. It had Shinobi! Now there's a game I love/hated in the arcade.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah the Sega mega-remaster-box-set thing they announced was intriguing. It had Shinobi! Now there's a game I love/hated in the arcade.
Keep in mind the Shinobi they're bringing back is the one from the Sega Genesis games. Not the arcade, which plays completely differently, but it's still a platformer. I'm referring to Revenge of Shinobi at Shinobi 3 (the Super Shinobi series). The arcade game and the Super Shinobi series do contain the same character, Joe Musashi. So here's hoping they bring him back.

These games are tough too, but they are not as bad as the arcade game. You actually get a health bar and magic attacks. You ever play Revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi 3? 3 is the best in the entire franchise.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Keep in mind the Shinobi they're bringing back is the one from the Sega Genesis games. Not the arcade, which plays completely differently, but it's still a platformer. I'm referring to Revenge of Shinobi at Shinobi 3 (the Super Shinobi series). The arcade game and the Super Shinobi series do contain the same character, Joe Musashi. So here's hoping they bring him back.

These games are tough too, but they are not as bad as the arcade game. You actually get a health bar and magic attacks. You ever play Revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi 3? 3 is the best in the entire franchise.
Oh no I didn't know any of that, I only knew the arcade, so thanks for acknowledging how tough that one boy did we suffer with that one lol

I was a Nintendo boy so I only played Genesis at friends' houses once in a while, but like all those Genesis things like Sonic etc were never a part of my childhood in any significant way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was a Nintendo boy so I only played Genesis at friends' houses once in a while, but like all those Genesis things like Sonic etc were never a part of my childhood in any significant way.
Get the Genesis collection pronto! It's available on all platforms. It's usually on sale around this point.

More Bioshock lore dump from Monty Zander.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
story time!..

No worries; your Russian mob ties are safe with us. :)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It was a pretty bog-standard side-scroller with decent graphics and one gimmick (and utterly horrid voice acting... "wise from your gwave", indeed).