BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here we go again -

Make of it what you will, but it could be much worse of a list IMO.
Super Castlevania 4 being at the top of the list does not surprise me. That's the standard answer to please SNES fanboys. I know it ain't my list. Super Castlevania 4 would be way lower on the list. Like you said before, could have been worse, but it's Gamespot, they have no credibility. They lost their credibility since the Kane and Lynch disaster.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Looks like it's already started.
Entitled gatekeeping fanboys. Their complaint is that other people get to play their favorite games on a different platform years later and that's bad because.......then they can't feel self satisfied that only they get to play GOW anymore? Seriously multiplatform has been a thing for a long time now and eventually almost everything will be ported or emulated on a PC so I don't know WTF they're being so whiny about.

On a related note, I feel the same way about people who get all pissy when a GOTY or enhanced edition of some game goes on sale years now the line with more stuff and eventually a lesser price then the full launch price they paid for it.Every game will eventually get discounted, it's only a matter of how long you wait to play it. Some people make their choice to buy the launch version and that's fine, but a lot of others will wait until the price drops before buying at the price of being late to the conversation or possibly being spoiled. Basically, people are mad because someone else got a better deal then you but that better deal is basically a discount and sometimes more gameplay context due to waiting.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Entitled gatekeeping fanboys. Their complaint is that other people get to play their favorite games on a different platform years later and that's bad because.......then they can't feel self satisfied that only they get to play GOW anymore? Seriously multiplatform has been a thing for a long time now and eventually almost everything will be ported or emulated on a PC so I don't know WTF they're being so whiny about.

On a related note, I feel the same way about people who get all pissy when a GOTY or enhanced edition of some game goes on sale years now the line with more stuff and eventually a lesser price then the full launch price they paid for it.Every game will eventually get discounted, it's only a matter of how long you wait to play it. Some people make their choice to buy the launch version and that's fine, but a lot of others will wait until the price drops before buying at the price of being late to the conversation or possibly being spoiled. Basically, people are mad because someone else got a better deal then you but that better deal is basically a discount and sometimes more gameplay context due to waiting.
Spoiled brats and nothing more. I've met plenty like that in my life, though not all the time. Some worse than others. Don't even give me started during the 6th generation of consoles.

And I've gotten plenty of games on discounts, better deals, or got the complete or special editions. I didn't get Street Fighter V until the Champion Edition, because I knew Capcom would do that and I still didn't get all the content I wanted. But I got the majority of it. Took 4 years to wait, but the game was not even close to completion and a glorified $60 beta at launch. Oneechanbara Origin I had to wait a full year for it to go on sale, because they are charging 75 plus dollars just for the complete edition of a low budget game. I got it for 40% off, and I still felt I could have gotten a little more off. Still worth it, cuz it'll be a long ass time before they do another sale of the deluxe edition again. As they put the game at a bigger discount for the next sale, I do not envy the person or persons who decide to buy it at a lower price than I did.

Reactions: Dalisclock

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Halo Infinite just re-revealed its campaign, after the disastrous 2020 trailer.
I only care about one thing: What happened to Craig?

Super Castlevania 4 being at the top of the list of not surprise me. That's the standard answer to please SNES fanboys. I know it ain't my list. Super Castlevania 4 will be way lower on the list. Like you said before, could have been worse, but it's Gamespot, they have no credibility. They lost their credibility since the Kane and Lynch disaster.
They should've just leaned into their reputation and given the first N64 Castlevania the top spot.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Never though ANOTHER TLoU2 analysis would get anything from me other than a shrug after turning it off in the first 5 minutes, but this one is pretty good. And for someone like me, who's head has being negatively captivated by this game since its release, hearing criticism and ideas I had never actually thought about before is quite refreshing.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Never though ANOTHER TLoU2 analysis would get anything from me other than a shrug after turning it off in the first 5 minutes, but this one is pretty good. And for someone like me, who's head has being negatively captivated by this game since its release, hearing criticism and ideas I had never actually thought about before is quite refreshing.

Brings up good points especially about having the death play out last but Druckmann of course just couldn’t help himself and wanted dat shock value. I don’t understand the RTS “playing as the bad guy” comparison though, as I’ve never been emotionally moved or made empathetic towards anything involving ordering dozens/hundreds of pawns and equipment around a map. It sounds like the dude just personally being a fan of them.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Brings up good points especially about having the death play out last but Druckmann of course just couldn’t help himself and wanted dat shock value. I don’t understand the RTS “playing as the bad guy” comparison though, as I’ve never been emotionally moved or made empathetic towards anything involving ordering dozens/hundreds of pawns and equipment around a map. It sounds like the dude just personally being a fan of them.
I think you can introduce characters knowing that they're going to die and still make them engaging, I mean, just look at Berserk's Golden Age arc (also a story that's very grimdark but handles it fucking leaps and bounds better). TLoU2 however isn't very good at making us care about the characters in general, since almost all of them are kinda petty assholes who are hellbent on making life worse for other assholes. Knowing then that two of these assholes die and how and when, it's really too much to ask for the audience to give a shit about them during a flashback.

The first TLoU had an issue by having certain characters be introduced with a giant sign that said 'this person will die in the foreseeable future', but at least these characters weren't really, really shitty people. I mean, Tess was kind of an asshole, but she quickly regains a lot of humanity once she understands what's at stake.

Back to the video, don't know how I feel about narrative choice being in this game - kinda find that whole concept in games highly overrated - but the fact that this video managed to somewhat sell me on TLoU2's story if it had these tweaks is worthy of some respect.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Who are the STALKER fans on this forum again? Y'all are gonna enjoy this.

Classic Survival Horror fans. Here's your classic RE/SH style game. I know Yahtzee did not like it, but the game got good reception overall.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Tim Rogers recently dropped the definitive Cyberpunk 2077 review

Fyi, there is actually a review, an extremely verbose 8 hour one, buried in a playlist link in the description.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Tim Rogers recently dropped the definitive Cyberpunk 2077 review

Fyi, there is actually a review, an extremely verbose 8 hour one, buried in a playlist link in the description.
8 bloody… *sigh* I miss the days where I’d actually have the time to watch something like that, even if it was only on a weekend.

Anyways,

Reactions: Chimpzy