Game Articles and Videos Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I always wondered why I never saw a full length game of this. It felt like a demo for a larger game that would release later.
There's a least a couple of full length playthroughs on youtube. Many are from when the game first came out. The game is not long and there's only five stages. Still some of the best fun I ever had. A sequel came out on the PS vita, but it performed poor. It released in Japan only, and the entire gameplay was one big visual novel with no shooting elements. And it didn't even focus on the main character, it was the focus of her Presidential Cabinet for most of the game. Talk about a huge misfire. I get wanting to do things different, but that visual novel might as well been a bonus feature or something, to an actual game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I think I got a good 20 hours into Elden Ring (before quiting), and I never found a way to use any of those summon wolves/jelly fish/whatever. I think you're supposed to run into some witch girl, but I never did. And I didn't go out of my way to avoid any content in this game, I just never found it and I never bothered to look up how.
She's supposed to show up at the first church just past the tree sential at night, but apparently you can miss her without realizing it. I don't know if she eventually stops showing up there and you have to go find her to get the bell or what.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I generally try to play these games blind but ER is so fucking huge I've been using the guides fairly liberally because once I'm done, I doubt I'm playing again until the DLC drops. I don't feel like crawling every goddman mini-dungeon in the game only to find some spell I'll never use at the end when I could be using my time more productively somewhere else. I've been playing for a month or so now(due to my game schedule) and I still feel like everyone else has already beaten it at this point.....despite me playing a fairly optimized playthrough where I am skipping a lot of the chaff. Basically, I'm about 55 hours in, about level 100, just now exploring Lyndell and I can only imagine where I'd be if I weren't using guides to help me skip some of the crappy content.

The longer a game is, the less likely it is I'll ever come back to it anytime soon. FROM games also have the added benefit of being punishing, which leads to another disincentive(for me, anyway) to not want to do another replay. I've heard people say that the NG+ is actually a lot easier because you've got all the good stuff, you'll very well leveled, likely, and you know how to play the game. OTOH, I'm normally just fucking done by that point and really to play something else.

So once I finish ER, I probably won't be going back to finish Salt and Sanctuary in prep for Salt and Sacrifice. At least not for a while.
Oh don’t worry. I just read you’re in the capital and level 100. I’m only level 65 and just set foot at the base of Mt Gilmir. Not to mention I’ve yet to find a fucking glintstone key to open the magic portal to the Raya academy, or the way into the Tower of Liurnia. But I’m still on track to complete Iron Fist’s quest at least. Trying to use the wiki sparingly for quests and upgrade materials but might end up going full bore.

I actually took a small detour to get back into some Hitman 2016 which has been a fun contrast. Will probably get back to the Lands Between shortly though.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think I got a good 20 hours into Elden Ring (before quiting), and I never found a way to use any of those summon wolves/jelly fish/whatever. I think you're supposed to run into some witch girl, but I never did. And I didn't go out of my way to avoid any content in this game, I just never found it and I never bothered to look up how.
There is a way to get the time to use summon ashes if you didn’t meet her at first. Of course, the game’s not saying anything about that though, so wiki it is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Most multiplayer shooting games are messing up badly right now. I admit that I am ecstatic and a little sad at the same time. Glad I can never get into it much. Got other more interesting genres to play.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States

I remember when this dropped the meme lords claimed "Smash Killer" I didn't it looked goofy its fun its needed more time in the oven and exploit were found quick and right now its community is small and other nonsense like no presence on Twitch.

But with this announcement I can say..

FUCK
ALL
THAT
OTHER
BULLSHIT

LETS FUCKING GO!!!!!!!

HUGH NEWTRON>EVERY OTHER SMASH REVEAL FIGHT ME INTERNET!!!!

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Most multiplayer shooting games are messing up badly right now. I admit that I am ecstatic and a little sad at the same time. Glad I can never get into it much. Got other more interesting genres to play.

It's because everyone's chasing that "10-year plan" live-service-model cash farm, where they dripfeed us trickles of content and sell us scads of microtransactions. The problem is that almost everyone's utterly failed at it (I'd say that Destiny 2 came the closest to success, and even that game has issues), and gamers are sick of the whole thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
(I'd say that Destiny 2 came the closest to success, and even that game has issues), and gamers are sick of the whole thing.
I remember meeting a guy at a GS who loved Destiny (2 had not launched yet), and he was praising the shit out of it. Claiming how it's "the best shooter ever made and how everyone should be playing it! Or that every game should be exactly like it!". I told him, "Can't, too busy playing Doom 4, a better shooter. Also, other games I find more interesting". He was about to flip his shit, when I responded back with a "I don't care; deal with it.". Said man wisely shut up and leaved me alone. Wonder how he feels now. What a shill!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Don't worry, it'll reach Beta soon and then spend 10 more years there. The fans don't care apparently, and some of them clearly want it to be the ultimate GaaS that never stops changing or getting added onto, or at least that's what I've learned from the SC Subreddit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember when this dropped the meme lords claimed "Smash Killer"
Ignore them. The team and marketing clearly wanted to make a fun game and something different. Which is what more developers need learn. Instead of "Halo Killer", "COD Killer", "Ninja Gaidne Killer", "God of War Killer", etc.

The fans don't care apparently, and some of them clearly want it to be the ultimate GaaS that never stops changing or getting added onto, or at least that's what I've learned from the SC Subreddit.
That must be a boring existence. Sucks to be them. There is so much that exists in gaming for the past decade that SC has been delayed. People move on and have lives. The people who are still waiting, obviously have nothing better going on, or don't have much family or friends. Trying not be an asshole here, but that just sad. Putting so much faith and validation for a product with so many empty promises. This is the reason why I don't bother Kickstarter projects and never did.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This is what happens when your design sheet is an ever-expanding list of "wouldn't it be cool if". I mean, now they're doing "bedsheet deformation physics", and making noise about a sequel. As often as we've all bemoaned publishers rushing a game out the door before it was done, Cloud Imperium could use a strong hand yanking its leash and saying "bad boy, finish what you're working on now and get it out".