Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
*OhJohnNo reads comments*

*OhJohnNo facepalms so hard his face flies through the back of his head*

My opinion is obviously correct. These developers' opinions are obviously wrong. The list is therefore terrible, because it didn't include more games that I like.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I think if they had put system shock series in there instead of Bioshock it would make alot more sense to exclude half-life.

Glad to see my beloved franchise being favoured although I do think alot of the things on the list are stock answers. Besides I doubt all game developers have good taste in games, so for every Silent Hill fan there will probably be a few COD nuts in there.

Also I think the resident evil series and Final fantasy series are possibly the largest omissions from the list. Also this is clearly a list from western developers.

diablomaki

Jul 17, 2009
baldurs gate is the shizzle and deserves #1, its the only series where i kept buying because it never got old

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
All I'm going to say is:

Developers, ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO PICK VALVE GAMES!?

Valve deserves to be on that list way more than Dead Space, Silent Hill, and Starcraft IMO.

Jaker the Baker

Guild Warrior
Nov 9, 2009
It's a list of their favorite games. As in, the games these developers had the most fun playing. NOT the best game of all time. Give it a rest people.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
ResonanceGames said:
Assassin's Creed? Dead Space? Looks like some people might have been voting for their own games. :p
This. And Tomb Raider's on there but Thief isn't? What?

cononking

Jun 16, 2009
yourbeliefs said:
NO fighting games. Really? Not even Street Fighter II or the series?
NO GTA games. The massive impact these games had on the industry cannot be ignored.
I agree. The lack of fighting games is strange (Devil May Cry doesn't count). GTA likewise.

I realise that these things are subjective, but where is Goldeneye? Or Perfect Dark? I also think that Valve has been hard done by. No Half Life? No Portal? Wow.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
Weird list but the Baldur's Gate series definitely deserves that top spot. I replay BG2 almost every year, there's just so many ways to play it and so many things to discover that I never get bored of it. This is a true game built for all the right reasons to last the test of time.

I remember when a Bioware developer went on record to say that they'll never top Baldur's Gate again, and I think he knew exactly why. The corporate entity of EA would never allow a project that complete, that refined, that bug-free, that massive to ever be released without chopping it up into tiny little pieces to sell as DLC. Bioware is already kinda dead to me nowadays because of all the underhanded stuff surrounding the entire Dragon Age series in general.

Planescape Torment I've had a hard time getting in to and I can kinda understand why it might get left off. BG2 is a lot more refined and user friendly in comparison, and it still looks good when you play it on a modern computer without mods. I do want to try giving Planescape another chance though.

Wamble

Oct 18, 2011
I would really like to have read some of the development comments behind their choices.

for people arguing this, it is just a result of a poll. your favorite game could have easily been mentioned. it just wasn't mentioned enough times to make it up to the top 20.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Ok, I'm sorry but how is the fact that Baldur's Gate series are the best games of all time in any way news? I mean, that's basically a universal fact. Like cheese.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Aidinthel said:
Leftnt Sharpe said:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?
That sort of decision is ultimately based on what they think will sell, not what they'd prefer to be playing themselves.
Games like that would sell, they always did, even with the new popular FPS genre taking off. The difference is that now, the big publishers don't think they'll make ENOUGH assloads of cash with those games like "Modern Battlefield Duty" so they won't bother. As good as Dragon Age was, the second was a watered down hack and slash because EA said they wanted it more "accessable" because dragon age didn't make as much money as they thought it should.[/quote]

I think we can blame the lack of attention to art style and more of a want of photo realism. If a indie game maker made another Baldaurs Gate, then I would buy at least 7 to give out to random people on Reddit.

But since games want to look ultra realistic, we'll need a few billion and lots of time to pass before that happens.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Jenx said:
Ok, I'm sorry but how is the fact that Baldur's Gate series are the best games of all time in any way news? I mean, that's basically a universal fact. Like cheese.
Now I want to eat cheese. Damn you.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
There's a bit of a trend toward the recent as soon as you get out of the highest few (as tends to happen in most of these lists on any subject), but otherwise, it seems pretty reasonable.

Regarding the inclusion of Call of Duty, since that's always the most controversial game on the internet, it's worth remembering that even if you feel like they're just churning out the same game with a new coat of paint, certainly the first one was an interesting development.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I am extremely surprised Half Life 2 isn't up there. It's the highest rated game on multiple prominent review sites. You'd think it'd be up there. I'm thinking there may have been a voter bias here.

Lhynn

Oct 7, 2011
Its a good list, true, i wouldnt put most of those games in that list, but all in all its a good list and i can understand that some people have different tastes than i do.

BG really deserves the first spot, i think everyone agrees with that, the rest... Well, they are good games, all of them are FUN, thats the main thing, most of them ive played and loved.

I cant really understand why WoW is in the list tho, i can kinda see where they are coming from with EQ, but wow?

Anyway, most if not all of these games are a must play.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Was this a list of best series or individual titles ? Either way I'm glad to see Baldur's Gate and Monkey Island in top three. I don't agree with complete lack of Planescape Torment, System Shock (although Bioshock is on the list), Half Life and Diablo being so high up & Dead Space being included at all. But these things are difficult to make (to everyone's satisfaction) and I'm actually surprised I agree with most of the list.