Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Assassin's Creed and... and fucking dead space? Really?

Other than that it's pretty solid, i don't know about the order though. I would put baldur's gate/icewind dale at or near the top of my list too.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
1) Baldur's Gate (series)
- Never played,so no opinion
2) Diablo (series)
- Want to play, but still no opinion
3) Monkey Island (series)
- Ditto
4) Shadow of the Colossus
- Just bought, still playing, pretty good, but kind of awkward
5) Mass Effect (series)
- Never played, and don't really have an interest in playing
6) Batman: Arkham Asylum
- I loved it, but I'm surprised it made the list still
7) StarCraft
- It's an RTS and I don't have the patience
8) The Legend of Zelda
- It's Zelda and I don't have the patience
9) EverQuest
- I forget what this one is, but I thought I heard bad stuff about it
10) Devil May Cry
- Just bought, still playing, it's interesting
11) Tomb Raider (series)
- No interest in playing
12) BioShock
- Just bought, haven't started just yet
13) Metal Gear Solid
- Still playing, fucking hard as hell... but satisfying
14) World of Warcraft
- I have no intention of ever getting suckered into these shenanigans
15) Deus Ex
- Have it, it's certainly unique, but I wouldn't say it's in my top 20
16) Super Mario (series)
- Um... I'm more of a Sonic guy. Nothing against Mario, but he was more fun back in the 2D games. (ironically)
17) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- I won't argue against the first MW game, but I'm glad the series didn't get up on this list
18) Silent Hill
- 1 but not 2?
19) Assassin's Creed
- Want to play, no opinion
20) Dead Space
- seen a friend play... I think Yahtzee was pretty much on the ball on this one.

Wow... I need to play more games. Damn school and work.

EDIT: No Valve games? I know they aren't the worlds best games ever, but Half-Life or Portal should have at least made it betweeen 15-20 (personally, probably in my top ten).

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Gotta love that one of my favourites is on there, Arkham Asylum, but am just like the majority curious about the lack of HL.
I guess this means I'll have to try out Baldur's Gate, though...

The Mapper

Feb 17, 2010
Sewer Rat said:
Sorry, but this list is kind of crap and reeks of developers trying to push their own games. I have been wanting to try Baldur's Gate for a while, but this list is not reinforcing or diminishing my desire to play the game.
here is why i think that it is there the

game is very old most of them will have played it as a child = nostalgia

the game is very memorable as almost nothing fills the niche = Original

more side quests that any modern day RPG that is out (easily 2x the amount in game like Mass effect or oblivion) and for an old game that is very impressive = revisionary for the time

D?nD was at it golden age = popular in the gamer crowd

Very solid writing that goes hand in hand with game play = something allot of gamers miss

6 player co-op LAN enough said XD

But playing it again which I do sometimes the things that are bad

graphics are poor and have not aged well at all

Not as easy what with heavy planning needed and it is possible to get in fight you can?t win and thus have to start again (you can also kill your whole team if you?re not on the ball with a bad spell cast)

D?nD isn?t user friendly you need to know what you?re doing before you go in

given all of that its my no. 1 no dout. When i linked this article to my friends the first thing they said what "fuck yes BG"

and you should
GeorgW said:
Gotta I'll have to try out Baldur's Gate, though...

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Baldur's Gate, huh? I played an old one on the PC that reminded me a lot of Diablo... Can't remember which one it is now.

Also, Dead Space? On the list? Look, I enjoy dead space, but I wouldn't put it on the list of best of all time.

ALSO WHERE IS DOOM.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
So they picked the list of games that they personally liked.

So it's a poll of "What was your favorite games?" for developers.

Eh, well, if they liked them, then they liked them. Why are people getting so butthurt over this?

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
No it's Skyrim!!

Ugh... if that's what developers are looking to for inspiration, no wonder games I like are so few and far between.

Feb 28, 2008
As the OP said, amongst the sometimes ludicrous and positively strange "Best Games of All Time" lists, this does standout as being quite good. A few things though:

Silent Hill 2 > Silent Hill. Then move it about 10+ places higher and that's more like it... Also, how can Dead Space possibly be on this list when Silent Hill 2 is not? Could you have the invention of the car without the wheel?

I'm surprised either Civilization (IV?) or Age of Empires (II) don't make the list. I would personally move some of the most recently released titles somewhat further down, because we don't know how they will stand up to time passing.

EDIT: Realised this is a list of what the developers consider their favourite games of all time. Well that completely changes everything I guess...

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
assians creed? the first one? why? i do love the assians creed series but the first was the worst one! it was fun yes but realy repetative the rest fixed that issue!
also when was this list made? i see arkham asyloom but where is city?

CAPTCHA: