Game endings that made you sad

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
lunncal said:
SirBryghtside said:
lunncal said:
Um... spoilers? ¬.¬
I suppose so... though what I mainly talked about was my characters choice, therefore it won't happen for everyone. Besides which, this is a thread about "Game endings" so anyone surprised by the presence of spoilers must be brain-dead, and therefore are unlikely to be bothered.
I get what you mean about your character's choice, and apologise - I didn't actually read your post all the way through on account of it being a potential spoiler. But your second point is so devoid of logic I'm not going to bother arguing with it.
My second point is "so devoid of logic" you're not going to bother arguing with it? So basically, I'm wrong and you're right just because? And my point is devoid of logic?

If you have a point to make or if you disagree with something I say you're free to point it out. It's not going to hurt my feelings, honest. Saying you're "not going to bother arguing with it" just makes it seem like you have no point at all, whether that's true or not.

OT: Another game I've remembered (and hasn't been mentioned yet I think) is Crackdown.

It was kind of a downer when it turned out that all your work defeating all the gangs and "freeing" the city was just putting another (and possibly worse) dictator into power. To be honest though, the real disappointment was that it didn't even bother using my character in the final cutscene.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Nier had a sad ending, the C ending I mean, where Kaine dies. I liked her, she was one of the decent characters. Yonah and the Nier sucked... "Yonahh!!!!!"

Final Fantasy X was pretty sad too. Although I found it funny that Tidus doesn't say that he loves her and instead jumps off the ship. Hilarious, but the ending overall was pretty sad.

Final Fantasy XIII had a sorta sad ending as well.

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins.
Self sacrifice ending, got a bit attached to my Warden.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
final fantasy 10's ending had me tearing up a little.

the ending of nier didnt make me sad but the second playthrough, when you fight the wolf boss and get that extra backstory, i was flat out crying

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
HL2 Episode 2 (obviously), Portal 2 (in a bittersweet kind of way),
Both of these, Mafia's and Sands of Time's.

Portal 2's was weird.

The overwhelming joy of being free, the sheer relief you experience, really hit home. Definitely bittersweet.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. Such a depressing ending. Also Fallout 3's original, though yes making it so no one will go into the room is stupid, I do feel that you being the one to stop the purifier is better than say Fawkes.

Yoh3333

Feb 7, 2011
Red Dead Redemption....
It's very rare for the games that i play to end in a way like Red Dead and i found it to be unique and very well made. I remember the ending more clearly than any other game in my library.

John Marston was being set up to be quite a badass throughout the game and i felt like Rockstar really established the way he felt for his family. Now in what i guess is called the third act of the game when all that happens in the game gets much closer to his family like jack and abigail then i felt like it really helped understand how much he cared for them. However, then everything took a turn for the worse and he got backstabbed basicly. him being faced with this he still tried to protect his family over all else.
The last scene in particular i felt was wellmade. you were forced into the barn and well knowing that the marshals were just outside he had to sacrifice himself. the way he pushed open the door to be greeted by the loaded guns. here is where the gameplaywise part that i liked stepped in. You are thrown into Dead Eye mode. You will put up a fight! This is NOT the game going to a cutscene where all this takes place. YOU are doing his last standoff against unfair numbers. This doesn't matter because it is impossible to win that fight but still. Giveing the player that sense of 'there is nothing John could do but save his family' which he did...

That was a rather long explanation of why i thought so. It might sound like rubbish but that's how i see it :)

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Cephei Mordred said:
Kingdom Hearts
Ending cutscene.
"Take care of her..."
Sora goes to Kiari.
Their platforms drift apart.

My response: Head in a pillow sobbing away.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Terranigma left me in a depressive state for about 2 days.

Everybody who has even the slightest interest in RPG's needs to play that game.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Jesus Fucking Christ RDR.

Also, FFX (bearing in mind I was like 12 when I first played it) - unique in that it wasn't really sad in the conventional sense so much as it was an early instance of existential dread. I'm always reminded of it when I reread the Sandman and the little girl is so terrified of Alice in Wonderland and the idea that they're all just part of someone else's dream.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
MysticToast said:
lunncal said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Fallout 3 vanilla, since it was so unexpected and kind of touching.

Screw you guys, I thought vanilla Fallout 3's ending was better.
You mean the part where the main character is told to walk into certain radiation death, so he asks his radiation immune friend to do it, and he promptly refuses for no real reason? Then the protagonist says "Fuck you all, then."(at least that's what I imagined him saying) and lets the purifier explode, killing everyone.

Somehow that scene failed to affect me emotionally... I'm not quite sure why.
Wait..... what? I don't remember that happening.
Thats because you walked in to the room. If you wait too long the purifier explodes.

Equally you can ask Fawkes to walk into the chamber... if... stuff... happens... stuff... I forget stuff...

---------

For me Fallout 3's ending was sad but Mafia 2's ending was just D;
You bastards...
You kill off a whole fucking Mafia family... and then your "friends" take Joe away in a separate car... most likely to be killed.

FPSMadPaul

Master Of The Smurfs
Sep 27, 2010
Heavy Rain, being reunited with Jason.
Edit: God dammit, I meant Shaun. Jason's name was just engrained from the mall scene.

Bran1470

Feb 24, 2010
Borderlands the ending was so horrible with no reward that it felt like a complete wast of my time and that makes me sad

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
MysticToast said:
lunncal said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Fallout 3 vanilla, since it was so unexpected and kind of touching.

Screw you guys, I thought vanilla Fallout 3's ending was better.
You mean the part where the main character is told to walk into certain radiation death, so he asks his radiation immune friend to do it, and he promptly refuses for no real reason? Then the protagonist says "Fuck you all, then."(at least that's what I imagined him saying) and lets the purifier explode, killing everyone.

Somehow that scene failed to affect me emotionally... I'm not quite sure why.
Wait..... what? I don't remember that happening.
In the pre-Broken Steel version of Fallout 3, you are given the choice to go into the radiation filled water purifier to activate it (presumably dying from the radation in a glorious sacrifice), or send Sarah Lyons in to do it (she would die too).

However, of all the companions you can have, it's possible you have a super mutant, a ghoul, or a robot. Any of which could easily push the buttons for you, with no harm done to them.

Bringing this up to your radiation immune companion, though, will tend to get a "No, it's your destiny", "It's not my job" response. Forcing you to die, sacrifice Sarah, or just let the purifier explode and die.

After Broken Steel, the radiation immune companions will agree to activate the purifier. However, the ending credits still have the balls to call said companion "the true hero of the wastes" instead of you, simply because you weren't "heroicly suicidal".

It's all very frustrating.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Spoiler warning dude. Thanks for ruining MGS3 for me.
Personally, I found Persona 4's ending to be sad, but then I found out that there was a "True ending" and the first time I got the neutral/normal one.
First of all, it came out 7 years ago. Second of all, once you saw the words "Metal Gear Solid 3's ending..." you could've stopped reading. Or is that beyond you?

SSoSFAGTiaCaGwaP

Mar 11, 2011
Matthew94 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Matthew94 said:
Metal Gear Solid 3, Eva's monologue and Snake's resulting reaction is heart wrenching.

hazabaza1 said:
Spoiler warning dude. Thanks for ruining MGS3 for me.
The game has been out for 7 years, the world can't hide behind spoilers because you didn't play a game you probably weren't going to play.

Do you think I was angry at the world because I knew the twists in System Shock 2 and Final Fantasy VII before I played them? No.
It takes hardly any effort to make a spoiler tag. Plus, just because a game is old doesn't mean that everyone that wants to play it has. Not spoiling tagging things is a dick move, plain and simple, unless the thread itself says that there'll be no spoilers.
Yeah but age really matters when it comes to media, after a while it's not the persons responsibility to hide spoilers.

Do you think people do spoiler tags when talking about Star Wars V in case people don't know Darth is Luke's father?
Darth Vader is WHO'S father?????

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Xprimentyl said:
"The Darkness" had a WAY sad ending; who'd have thought a visceral shooter about a mobster possessed by pure, face-biting, chest cavity excavating evil could have such depth of story and truly touching moments??
This, I almost cried at the end...

Let's cross our fingers that the sequel gives us an equally awesome story.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Red Dead: Redemption... nuff said

Persona 4, just the fact that the time me and the protagonist spent with his friends was ending

Mass Effect 2, everybody dies and it sucks

The Darkness, the whole damn game is just depressing as hell

Dragon Age 2 gets pretty sad in the end, despite every other part of the game being so shit compared to other Bioware games