Game Grumps please don't pull shit like this.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The first mistake is that you're watching Game Grumps for the gameplay content. It might be a "Let's Play" channel, but the draw is in the commentary. Half the time they don't even play. I remember a number of times (especially in Sonic '06) where they would spend at least half the episode just aimlessly wandering around, and I didn't even notice until one of them pointed-out that "Oh crap we should probably actually do something" because I was just listening to their banter. Sometimes I don't even watch the show, I just put it on and start playing my 3DS with its sound muted.

As Arin mentioned once (I honestly couldn't even try to tell you which episode or even which game), the show was originally planned as a podcast before they decided to make a YouTube channel and actually show the game being played, so it isn't a shock that they aren't making much of a point to necessarily do well in the games.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
You do realize these are the same people who constantly skip tutorials and complain about not knowing what to do later? As many people have already said, Game Grumps focuses on comedy not the game.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
People watch and like game grumps?

Really?

I thought they had a fanbase who hates them, not unlike DSP.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I'm not even watching Game Grumps usually, I tend to listen to them. My enjoyment from Game Grumps comes from simply listening to these guys joking and goofing around and yelling at each other while Dan tells another amazing story about his dad or from his past. I don't even really care what game they play.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
kortin said:

Really?

General rule of thumb: You'll only-ever hear from the people who hate something.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Watching them play Windwaker was like ripping out fingernails XD
How long did it take Arin to figure out you need to have your sword out to do the parry attacks?

And then when he did how long did it take him to re-figure out you need to be locked on to due it? Oh my god >.<

I can forgive the fairy thing but come on XD

It's so beautifully painful.

kortin said:

Really?

We hate them because we love them?

shrekfan246 said:
My was sonic adventure 2... which while they didn't play arin keeps going on about how its the same as 06... Poppycock!

We've talked about this before, Adventure 2 has some big problems, but it was playable and fun to large extent. I even went back and played through it recently to see if it was maybe my nostalgia getting the better of me. Nope. I still think it was solid if a bit too rough.

The first was better, but 2 was still good. Not amazing, but good.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
I really wish they'd stick to NES, SNES and N64 era games. I like a decent bit of Grumps content, but whenever they try to play anything newer, it's almost always awful.

Arin refuses to actually read anything a game tries to tell him, either to save time so they can cram more into the video, or because he hates it when games have to explain anything in text. Then he goes and complains about how he doesn't know how to do anything. I get it, he likes it when games let you learn through gameplay, and a lot of games go overboard with text tutorials, but not every game can show every mechanic purely through gameplay.

Danny just doesn't seem to really care, or have played, any game made after 1990 or so, and Ross is too hyper to bother to read anything either, especially if Arin is there to just go "blah, blah, skip skip. Wait, how do I do this!?"

When the Grumps are good, they're really good. But when they are bad (Dark Souls, Shadow the Hedgehog, most of Wind Waker, and so on), it's some of the worst Let's Play content around. I get they're all about first impressions, but in more complex games, they really need to either do a trial run, or use edits to let them actually read the text. It's no fun watching someone flail about in the same area of a game for 10 minutes purely because they refuse to actually learn how the mechanics work.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
It always astounds me to hear that some people actually watch Game Grumps. I just listen to them while I play games.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
I stopped watching that series because they're SO BAD at many games. They miss visual cues and often don't even bother to try things. Like, they might go 10 episodes into a game without pressing the X button or something.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I don't think I'll ever get the "if you take something seriously you're gonna have a bad time" people, mostly because they are on the side of "I like this show therefore I won't bother to recognise why your thoughts are indifferent to mine so I'll come up with a why so serious quip in order to get you to not talk about something I like".

Most people that also do that in the end almost always fail to understand the other person, that's not how you go about interaction, if you do then you're failing at life.

That said I kinda liked the game back when I bought it but yeah Arin was being a bit retarded and they mostly are on that show but really if we're not supposed to take anything seriously from them that then means they can say every game is shit and just show them shtting on a toilet and call that content quality and call it a day, every single day if it's going to be as pure simple as that, there's more of a reason than just not taking them seriously, they also have to you know create content instead of rambling on a game being shit every time and then wondering why you're losing people and losing creativity as a whole.

You know that's probably why I don't watch them as often anymore, they seem to really lack the creativity they once had, especially when Jon was on the show, I don't mind Danny but really it's just becoming close to a dead horse of YT media at this point and yes we people on here have called other popular shit shows garbage, the same could be said for this after such a long time.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
kortin said:

Really?

I know, people have different tastes, like me because I like them.

Amazing, isn't it?

Are people really still acting surprised when others have different thoughts and opinions and tastes? Hi, it's called humanity. Get used to it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
epicdwarf said:
You do realize these are the same people who constantly skip tutorials and complain about not knowing what to do later? As many people have already said, Game Grumps focuses on comedy not the game.
Most of the comedy in this video instance revolved around how "shit" the game is. Maybe if they were talking about something else I wouldn't of been so annoyed. However they were mostly talking about the game, and how "broken" it is because they can't play it right. That doesn't exactly work when the only reason why you "can't play it" is because your paying a total of zero attention to the game.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
TheIceQueen said:
It always astounds me to hear that some people actually watch Game Grumps. I just listen to them while I play games.
I do too, however there are some times where I just want to watch them play games. And at least in this instance it was cringeworthy.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Game Grumps are at there worst when they play games they don't actually care about. Unfortunately that's probably over 85% of the games they play.

It was right after sonic 06 premiered that they then started playing games other people wanted them to play and sent in. It just fell from there.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
There's a million and one lets-players out there that abandon any and all entertainment value so they can obtain maximum "good" gaming efficiency. Go and watch one of them. I for one find these bumbling jackasses entertaining as they stagger blindly through and shoot the shit together. The pained sound of Arin's WTF's make me laugh whether they're his fault or not.

It's bad enough that they caved in with Dark Souls. If the Grumps return to their Pokemon LP and Arin actually gets rid of Beedrill I'll personally garotte every member of the Smogon forums.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
You say "please don't" like as if this sort of thing hasn't happened before. Or has everygrump just forgotten about the Naughty Bear incident?

This happens a lot with the grumps. Usually they're average-to-mediocre at gaming, but any game with a more complex control scheme than megaman will generally involve ten minutes of running in circles ignoring tutorials and complaining about what to do.

Of course, I'm mostly speculating now, considering I've watched about five episodes since Jon left. So if Danny plays better than that, I wouldn't know. Although I'm not entirely sure why people say the grumps aren't serious. I mean, sure, it's a rare occurrence, but it does happen, like with Super Smash Bros. or the Donkey Kong game in Nintendoland. But as I said, haven't watched for a while, so it's possible they take things even less seriously nowadays.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Carsus Tyrell said:
There's a million and one lets-players out there that abandon any and all entertainment value so they can obtain maximum "good" gaming efficiency. Go and watch one of them. I for one find these bumbling jackasses entertaining as they stagger blindly through and shoot the shit together. The pained sound of Arin's WTF's make me laugh whether they're his fault or not.

It's bad enough that they caved in with Dark Souls. If the Grumps return to their Pokemon LP and Arin actually gets rid of Beedrill I'll personally garotte every member of the Smogon forums.
Or maybe as a person who does enjoy their content on a constant basis I have every right to criticize the Game Grumps just as much as you have the right to enjoy Erin and Dan playing games like total ass on purpose.

Telling me to "go find someone else" only serves to shut down any discourse that can be beneficial to the channel. I've already stated in the OP that I'm aware that sometimes they play games terribly. However they usually have enough self awareness to know that it's because they aren't paying attention.

Going out of your way to play a game like shit, and then saying the reason why they keep dying is because of the game is a huge turn off from LP's.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
EyeReaper said:
You say "please don't" like as if this sort of thing hasn't happened before. Or has everygrump just forgotten about the Naughty Bear incident?

This happens a lot with the grumps. Usually they're average-to-mediocre at gaming, but any game with a more complex control scheme than megaman will generally involve ten minutes of running in circles ignoring tutorials and complaining about what to do.

Of course, I'm mostly speculating now, considering I've watched about five episodes since Jon left. So if Danny plays better than that, I wouldn't know. Although I'm not entirely sure why people say the grumps aren't serious. I mean, sure, it's a rare occurrence, but it does happen, like with Super Smash Bros. or the Donkey Kong game in Nintendoland. But as I said, haven't watched for a while, so it's possible they take things even less seriously nowadays.
I don't watch every LP they ever do. I've seen a number of people on here talk about the Naughty Bear incident? I guess I missed that one but apparently that was a prime example of not paying attention and then saying the game is trash.

Honestly I like Steam Train a whole lot better. If only because at least Dan and Ross play the game with a perfect balance of silliness and seriousness.