Game Ideas You Want To See

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Well, having played support classes in multiplayer games of all kinds for like 20+ years, I can say that for me at least, I'm being cooperative. It's probably a personality thing, some people just don't have the temperament to play the class and enjoy it. But I mean, every class can only do the things it can do. So I don't really even understand your first question. If you don't LIKE playing support, odds are good you aren't going to. As to you thinking it's "forced" ...*shrugs* I can't change your mind on that. All I can say is that I get great personal satisfaction out of keeping a team alive during a hard dungeon run, or a pvp match. Only a complete idiot is oblivious to the fact that the healer/support did a lot to keep their dps ass alive. As to the sniper class getting no credit, well I mean all those games give us a kill count that is displayed to the entire match, assuming we're talking about pvp arena style games. So again, people who know how the game works, will be able to tell that there is a distinct lack of enemies without bullet holes in their heads, because the sniper is on point.
I do get your perspective, and clearly cooperative classes do work and people do enjoy them no matter what my personal preferences may be.

I think I appreciate a team based PvP game environment more when there aren't any support classes though.

Then maybe you shouldn't play so many games that require commuincation and coordination and then be bothered by the lack of it ? I mean communication is a 2way street.
Loners and the less social will always be present in social games. Doesn't mean they don't have a place in them. My only place to get a Mechwarrior fix for a very long time was MWO, so well I had to suck up the multiplayer environment. Yet I can still cooperate in that game by watching my radar, checking out my team composition relative to my own mech build and filling in certain roles. The game itself can provide mechanics and information that promotes teamwork.

Setting aside me personally, some players might just be new to a game before having found their own groups to play with. Or are just familiarizing themselves before playing with friends.

I don't really see what's wrong with wanting more passive communication mechanics like simple pings to facilitate a simpler form of communication. Or game alerts about team statuses. You can still cooperate in games without having to be on voice chat or say all too much. I still do play and enjoy team games despite not saying that much and it doesn't mean I should just play single player or FFA games.

*blinks* I....I just...I don't know how to respond to this. You talk like there is some autopilot function or something, where the group of players aren't still required to know their role, be aware of the changing situation based on the encounter, and reacting accordingly. I mean, what do you think cooperation and teamwork is, if not everyone working towards a common goal, utilizing their unique skills in conjunction with their allies? I've lost count of the number of times I've wiped in a raid because the tank didn't pay attention to agro, and didn't peel mobs off me the healer, or the dps. Or a dps who was too poke crazy and didn't wait for a tank to build enough threat before going to town on a kidney. Or when I played a tank, when a healer isn't paying attention to damage, or when a clothy pulls agro and then runs AWAY from me the tank, making it impossible for me to taunt it off them. Group runs can wipe in so many ways if everyone isn't paying attention and doing what they are built to do.

The fact that someone is coordinating the groups focus, is just what a leader does. That's the whole point of someone being a leader, they lead. They point and say "go smash that" or whatever.
What I'm against is a situation lacking flexibility in solution. If something can only be cleared with the very specific functioning of multiple people together, it isn't very fun to me. When the group has to hone a specific routine to the point where it removes any sort of player choice or agency. I guess my issue is less against how the teamwork is designed to fit within the game and more about how difficulty is implemented within the game.

I'm not so much against leadership than I am against the removal of the other player's individual choices and agency. It does tie back to the above. Depending on the game, each player still matters in terms of their individual ability to execute their role yes. But there can be slower paced games or even turn based games where in effect - the leader is directing every action of the other players and they practically aren't even playing the game at all.

I think we're going hella off track though about what we prefer in a cooperative game. We clearly prefer different things. I'm not really trying to argue any point here, just bouncing my thoughts.

I guess what I'm more interested in really is whether cooperation can be more organic and emergent without the need to build it into the very fabric of the game itself, be it through a class system that features intrinsically cooperative classes or a problem that needs to be resolved through very specific actions. And more about mechanics that aid such a thing, like a ping system, being able to receive feedback on the statuses of other players just by having it be a feature of the UI or an alert system.

I don'tand haven't played Valorant, but I got curious recently and watched some videos. The way they implemented their minimap is really close to what I was pondering about being able to see enemies through the eyes of other players. Though my idea was just to have stuff highlighted through walls. But what Valorant has is similar to a RTS minimap. Except where in RTSes, friendly units reveal stuff in a radius, here it accounts for individual player's cone of vision. And if your team mates are looking at an enemy, you will also see their location in on your map.

Just by looking at an enemy, you've already communicated that fact to the rest of the team without having the need to say anything through voice chat, or to ping. And I thought well, this is pretty damn smart and is sorta the thing I'm talking about when coming up with game ideas that induce cooperation. Something independent of stuff like player roles and classes, just a way to display and share information or some sort of in game feedback.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I want to see a Dynasty Warrior style game with either Mario or Sonic characters. That would be hilarious. On second thought, with the Sonic characters it can be more like Spikeout. An awesome game.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I would not mind a hack and slash game based off the John Carter of Mars book series. That can actually work. You can have platforming, combat, different weapons, gunplay, and playing as other characters.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Do you mean a space trader/combat sim in the SW setting or selling people 3D models of SW ships for a game that may never eventuate?
You mean the concept vs the reality? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the idea of SC. However, I'm also cynical enough to live in a barrel drinking from my hands not put down money for a game until it's released. There have been VERY few exception to that rule but those were also much smaller scale projects then SC or from devs with a good track record for quality.

IF(an if the size of a star system right now) it releases and lives up to what it's apparently trying to achieve, Yes, I will spend some money on it and play it. Not before.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
You mean the concept vs the reality? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the idea of SC.
Yeah but as much as I might love the concept of SC, there are already new(ish) games out there doing pretty much the same thing already.

However, I'm also cynical enough to live in a barrel drinking from my hands not put down money for a game until it's released. There have been VERY few exception to that rule but those were also much smaller scale projects then SC or from devs with a good track record for quality.
I don't think I've ever ponied up for a game that wasn't already released.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah but as much as I might love the concept of SC, there are already new(ish) games out there doing pretty much the same thing already.

I don't think I've ever ponied up for a game that wasn't already released.
I paid up for some the episodic games that came out a ways back but that's one of the things that got me to be very careful about backing EA or episodic games. It's not so bad when an episodic series can release on some kind of reasonable schedule but some of games had serious schedule slip if they finished at all*CoughHalfLifeCough*.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I paid up for some the episodic games that came out a ways back but that's one of the things that got me to be very careful about backing EA or episodic games. It's not so bad when an episodic series can release on some kind of reasonable schedule but some of games had serious schedule slip if they finished at all*CoughHalfLifeCough*.
Pretty sure my attitude at the time when episodic gaming was supposed to be the next big thing was "sounds like a pretty good idea... let's see how massively they fuck it up" because I'm not only a cynic but a terrible person as well.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
A game with climbing as it's central mechanic. I think Nintendo could make a cool game about mountain climbing with Ice Climbers if they had a mind to. It just seems like the process of actual mountain climbing is ripe for gamification and it would be a good game for co-op as well.

I also had the idea of a traditional action game where doing most of your actions while climbing would be interesting. We seem to be close to having such a game after Breath of the Wild came out but the exact kind of game I have in my head hasn't happened yet.

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
I m not sure what I would like in a game, I played so many different type and thousand of them
I think a game that can spike my interest is being roguelike ish, different enough, metroidvania esque, rpg element, not grindy (like dead cells unlocks are just...)
I would say something like a Binding of Isaac mix with bit more "rpg" element and maybe some crafting element?
I really dont know haha

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
A game where you play the bard from every game of DnD.

d38a90cb7949e86406b6acd50cdeed61.gif

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
What if Sifu, without the bullshit camera and git-gud roguelike crap?
Srsly, I'm so mad at Sifu. I love the combat but hate the progression system. Just make a tiny bit less repetitive and difficulty and add more levels that I only have to do once.

My fantasy nostalgia-based game would simply be a REAL reboot of Assassins Creed. No bloated maps, crap collectibles, bring back interesting climbing mechanics and environments, ditch the "modern day" noise, add some HItman-style murder areas (not all the way, but just some sandbox-y assassination missions).

The original Assassins Creed game is so good, it was just sort of unfinished a bit and then the sequels started going all over the place. I would love a hard reboot with Altair and the Crusades where the story is pretty much the same game for the most part, but with modern graphics and mechanics, of course.

Then a sequel that is totally not Ezio. Mind, AC2 is my favorite game of the 21st century, and I don't need it redone, it's perfect. Rather, I'd rather use the original game that is often downplayed as being a "proof of concept" as its own awesome new game and launching off point for a cool new cohesive story. So maybe not completely ditch "modern day" but make it a solid trilogy- whatever makes sense narratively. Certainly no walking around in an office or whatever.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I would like Arkane to make a game that takes Dishonored's abilities and combat and puts them to work in something less stealth centric. More bombastic swashbuckling, less methodical infiltration.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
A game with climbing as it's central mechanic. I think Nintendo could make a cool game about mountain climbing with Ice Climbers if they had a mind to. It just seems like the process of actual mountain climbing is ripe for gamification and it would be a good game for co-op as well.

I also had the idea of a traditional action game where doing most of your actions while climbing would be interesting. We seem to be close to having such a game after Breath of the Wild came out but the exact kind of game I have in my head hasn't happened yet.
There are a number of games about climbing already, including this hidden gem. Also there's Getting Over It, and a VR lovcraftian horror game called Edge of Nowhere,.

Reactions: BrawlMan