Game of Thrones Actors Voice Opinions on Who Should Rule

Justin Boisvert

Jan 22, 2014
Game of Thrones Actors Voice Opinions on Who Should Rule

[vanityfair=531e329c69702d3eff390000/51cc9fb8bb8f55bdfb000005]

The Game of Thrones cast members tell who they would like to see sitting on the Iron Throne.

Every Game of Thrones fan has their pick (and the smart ones have a back-up pick or two) for who should win the Iron Throne of Westeros. In the run-up to its April issue, which will feature the show on its cover, Vanity Fair asked various cast members (in costume) who they personally would like to see triumph.

The actors are mostly wiser than their characters, with Tyrion the clear favorite at five votes, and surprise candidate Hodor tying Jon Snow for second place with three votes. Daenerys also receives three votes, but only if you count Emilia Clarke voting for her character twice, which to be fair is probably in character.

The best answers come from the actors who play Jamie Lannister (Nickolaj Coster-Waldau) and Samwell Tarly (John Bradley-West), with John voting for anyone but Joffrey, and Nikolaj voting to dissolve the whole monarchy, since "It's clearly not working."

Personally, this author knows that the wise answer must be Tyrion, or possibly Varys; but his heart longs to see the vengeful, PTSD murder-spree that might be the reign of Arya Stark. Of course, she'll have to survive in order to get there. Share your votes with us in the comments.

Source: Vanity Fair [http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/game-of-thrones-iron-throne]

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I vote for the White Walkers. They are the ones most deserving to rule.

After all, the petty and stupid manchildren that make up the cast of ASoIAF are very clearly utterly incapable of doing what is necessary (read: stop killing each other) to prevent that from happening.

Kill100577

Nov 25, 2009
Should we base our answers on the TV show alone or can we make suggestions based on the books??

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Possible spoilers.

King Jon (Snow) Targaryen and Queen Daenerys Targaryen.

My answer is based on the theory that Jon is actually the bastard of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen rather than Ned Stark.

Jon Snow will save everyone from the White Walkers and become the Hero of the 7 Kingdoms, the north wants a northan King, so Howland Reed will spill the beans on Jon's true lineage (as he was with Ned when he found dying Lyanna in "bed of blood"). And with that combination of lineage and status Jon will be the number one contender to the throne no contest.

And they will just marry him off to his aunty Daenerys in true Targaryen incest style to further legitimise his claim.

He might even get control of the Dragons at some point being a Targaryen.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Daenerys is the one with all of her shit together, to be sure, but the one with all the brains in Westeros is Tyrion. Could we vote for both? Make the kingdom a Matriarchy with Tyrion as Hand and chief advisor? I believe Daenerys would agree that little men must have to think alot, since there's only so much else they can do otherwise.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Angelous Wang said:
Possible spoilers.

My answer is based on the theory that Jon is actually the bastard of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen rather than Ned Stark.

Jon Snow will save everyone from the White Walkers and become the Hero of the 7 Kingdoms, the north wants a northan King, so Howland Reed will spill the beans on Jon's true lineage (as he was with Ned when he found dying Lyanna in "bed of blood"). And with that combination of lineage and status Jon will be the number one contender to the throne no contest.

And they will just marry him off to his aunty Daenerys in true Targaryen incest style to further legitimise his claim.

That's pretty much been my theory since the end of the first book, and all the stuff we've learnt about Rhaegar's personality since then just seems to cement that. I dunno about the incest, but I definitely could see him on dragon-back.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
I would nomiate tyrion or tywin with favor towards tyrion. Both are capable pragmatic men who can actually be trusted with not running westeros straight down into the ground. Tyrion is the best choice between them for obvious reasons, but tywin would be fine as well. I especially love how he put joffrey in his place be just walking up to him straight up boss moment.

But in the end anyone other then danearys is fine with me.

Edit: actually the varys is a pretty good choice. He is not associated with any of the houses, is the only character so far whos motivation seems solely towards making westeros a better place and he actually worked himself up from the very very very bottom. So my third vote goes to him.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Angelous Wang said:
Possible spoilers.

I like that theory a lot, but out of curiosity: How do you respond to the fact that Jon shows no signs of the Targaryen-Blood: He doesn't have the white hair and got his hand burned while fighting the undead, so he is clearly not impervious to fire. Unless the books are going to flip-flop on everything we learned about the Targaryens so far I don't see that happen.

Regarding the video: Charles Dances steals the show, as usual.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
How about the Easterlings invade and take the throne? Apparently they can literally birth shadow demons... don't really know how Westeros is supposed to fight the technologically and magically superior east? Don't really know why they haven't yet conquered the earth unless they are shattered into a thousand kingdoms all fighting for dominance.

Basically what I'm saying is screw the throne I'm bored with it when a far more interesting world looms just over the horizon.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Exterminas said:
Angelous Wang said:
Possible spoilers.

I like that theory a lot, but out of curiosity: How do you respond to the fact that Jon shows no signs of the Targaryen-Blood: He doesn't have the white hair and got his hand burned while fighting the undead, so he is clearly not impervious to fire. Unless the books are going to flip-flop on everything we learned about the Targaryens so far I don't see that happen.

White hair and fire proofing (as well as other powers/traits) are what you might call pureblood Valyrian traits, all people from Valyria had these traits. Including the Targaryen's, however breeding with non-Valyrian's over time weakens the blood and make the traits less and less likely (works the same as human genetics, skin/eye/hair colour).

This is why the Targaryen practice inbreeding to try and keep these traits in their family.

It also why Viserys was not fire proof and Daenerys was despite having the same parents, their Valyrian blood has weakened to the point that traits aren't guaranteed any more.

Orys Baratheon the founder of House Baratheon was the Targaryen bastard brother of Aegon Targaryen, yet no Baratheon including Orys himself had any Valyrian powers/traits.

However the Baratheon's do still have some Valyrian blood in them as Melisandre has said and shown before (though she calls it "king's blood" in the TV show) when she burned Gendry blood in the fire to show Stainnis it had power.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'd go with Stannis. He'd be a just ruler, and he'd know how to run a kingdom. Plus y'know, it is rightfully his throne as well.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well, it should rightfully go to Stannis, but I would like to see Daenerys get the throne. However, I do really want to see Arya rise up and kick all sorts of ass and take the throne herself. And then another part of me hopes that maybe Sansa will end up on the throne. That could be interesting. Or Hodor.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
It should be Stannis, the throne is rightfully his (Robert had a valid claim to declare war and to the throne, making House Baratheon legitimate rulers) and he would be a just ruler. He would be harsh but just and all those lords that have plotted and schemed to advance their own position would have a spanner thrown in their works.

As for the other candidates, these opinions are dark and full of spoilers, some in the books. Be warned.

Daenerys appears to be unable to have children which puts her out of the runnings. She couldn't make a dynasty that survived her and everything would collapse after her death (assassinating Daenerys would cause anarchy in the realm) as she would have no legitimate heir. If she nominated a successor their claim to the throne would be weak enough to be challenged by any Lord Paramount. As a ruler she can do good things but a great many of her supposed successes (i.e. conquering Slavers Bay and holding it, her invasion power) are entirely reliant on the Dragons. Daenerys would like to think she is a good ruler but I don't think she is.

Tyrion would make a poor King, who would accept the Imp for the throne? Those who have read the books will also know other reasons why Tyrion would not be accepted for the throne. Besides, as capable as he is, Tyrion is much better suited to being the power behind the throne than the figurehead on it.

Jon Snow may be a skilled leader, but he knows little of ruling. Any provable claims to the throne would be shaky at best since any incidents tying him to the throne happened many years ago and only a scant few remember or even know. Good luck getting people to accept Jon is the rightful ruler.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
The Dragon has Three Heads:

Daenereys Jon And Tyrion Ruling the Land on Dragonback.

All have the Dragon Blood (The Mad King always lusted after Tyrion's Mom and there was rumours of a rape a few months before Tyrion's birth. Tywin is constantly claiming that Tyrion is no son of his and Tyrion has an unhealthy obsession with dragons.

Jon (or indeed Daenaerys) is Azor Ashai Reborn. Both Have killed their respective spouses and both have died and lived again. Both have the Dragon Blood.

Arya Ruling the North as the Stark in Winterfell.

Sansa ruling the Vale as she is the closest blood kin to Lysa and the young lord left alive.

Gendry being the new Stormlord.

Varys staying alive because Varys.

My more than likely crazy forecasting

Justin Boisvert

Jan 22, 2014
Angelous Wang said:
Exterminas said:
Angelous Wang said:
Possible spoilers.

White hair and fire proofing (as well as other powers/traits) are what you might call pureblood Valyrian traits, all people from Valyria had these traits. Including the Targaryen's, however breeding with non-Valyrian's over time weakens the blood and make the traits less and less likely (works the same as human genetics, skin/eye/hair colour).

This is why the Targaryen practice inbreeding to try and keep these traits in their family.

It also why Viserys was not fire proof and Daenerys was despite having the same parents, their Valyrian blood has weakened to the point that traits aren't guaranteed any more.

Orys Baratheon the founder of House Baratheon was the Targaryen bastard brother of Aegon Targaryen, yet no Baratheon including Orys himself had any Valyrian powers/traits.

However the Baratheon's do still have some Valyrian blood in them as Melisandre has said and shown before (though she calls it "king's blood" in the TV show) when she burned Gendry blood in the fire to show Stainnis it had power.
Book spoilers:
I love that everyone here is just assuming we'll get Jon Snow back. I also think so, because Red Witch, and also because warg; but I wonder what sort of shape he'll be in when we get him back. So far the resurrections we've seen (Stoneheart, the Lightning Lord, and Cold Hands are the ones that come to mind), leave a lot to be desired. I don't think that the Snow/Daenerys match-up is far-fetched, but it would face some significant obstacles. Politically, the incestuous union of a bastard/zombie/warg/oath-breaker from the Night's Watch, and a barren foreign woman with a foreign army and less people skills than Stannis, would be hard for a lot of folks to swallow. Then again, Dragons; and incinerating White Walkers from the sky as they advance on the cities of the south, would likely buy you a lot of political leeway. In the meantime, I would be extremely unsurprised to see her get the full backing of Tyrion and Varys, and that might mean the support of Dorne, as well as very likely whatever is left of the North by the time she makes it to Westeros. Then again wild speculation is my favorite sort of speculation, so take me with a bit of salt.

Justin Boisvert

Jan 22, 2014
grey_space said:
The Dragon has Three Heads:

Daenereys Jon And Tyrion Ruling the Land on Dragonback.

All have the Dragon Blood (The Mad King always lusted after Tyrion's Mom and there was rumours of a rape a few months before Tyrion's birth. Tywin is constantly claiming that Tyrion is no son of his and Tyrion has an unhealthy obsession with dragons.

Jon (or indeed Daenaerys) is Azor Ashai Reborn. Both Have killed their respective spouses and both have died and lived again. Both have the Dragon Blood.

Arya Ruling the North as the Stark in Winterfell.

Sansa ruling the Vale as she is the closest blood kin to Lysa and the young lord left alive.

Gendry being the new Stormlord.

Varys staying alive because Varys.

My more than likely crazy forecasting
I missed the Tyrion theory. That's interesting. Not sure if I buy that Daenerys has died and lived again though. I think Jon is the safer money for Azor Ashai, which is good, since he'd need some pretty solid credentials to get any respect out of Daenery's sense of self-entitlement.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Exterminas said:
Note, Targaryens are not, in fact, impervious to fire. Daenerys' feat with Khal Drogo's funeral pyre was an incredible phenomenon, but it does not mean she is fire-immune. It seems to have been a one-off miraculous event, even with her family. She burns her hands at a later point, pain and all.

And Aerion "Brightflame" Targaryen died from consuming wildfire, too.

I'd go for Ned, if only it were possible, with Stannis as his hand. Stannis is my current candidate, just so long as he and Davos are eventually rid of Mel.