Game of Thrones' Arya Stark "So Sick" of Book Readers Being Snobby

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
RA92 said:
Nerds being elitist? Impossible!
Here on the Escapist, we know this to be true.

OT: I expect a divergence. A straight book to screen adoption is cool but having other creative minds (working on and off with George mind you) taking the series in different ways is even more fun.

Now I just have to watch the damn show past season 2 at some point. Stupid life, keeping me busy with things.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
People complaining about unfaithful adaptation when it actually is unfaithful adaptation are snobs? i guess everyone that didnt like the last airbender or dragonball evolution are snobs too!

lacktheknack said:
That makes no sense. I can read 5000 pages of novel in well under 40 hours. If anything, the show-watchers are MORE invested than the book-readers, so there's no reason at all to be snobby other than "lolfirst".
?Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.?

This is the type of books that deserve a 20 hour per book time spent on them.

being a fast reader is good if your reading manuals or books you need to use a check marks, not good if you actually want to understand what happens in the book beyond surface events.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Six Ways said:
Saying works which deviate from their originals are automatically crap is pretty much the definition of a blanket statement.
Like I pointed out, "crap" in the sense of not being honest, using a cheap way to make a buck.
I can take Mozart's music, change a note here and there and it's still going to be a great music. My contribution to it tho', will be crap.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zac Jovanovic said:
008Zulu said:
Catelyn Stark is alive.
But that that reveal is not even close to the current show timeline.

She is revealed after Jaimie breaks the siege at Riverrun and dismisses the Frey in charge who has Robb's crown, a Brotherhood spy lets the band know and they ambush him on his way to the Twins.

In the show Jaimie is still in KL and the hasn't even been a mention of the siege or Blackfish, that I noticed at least.

They're still probably going to cut the character, it just couldn't have been in season 4 anyway. Without major rewriting at least.

Edit: Though, when I think about it a much better reveal would be later, perhaps in season 6 when

Brienne gets captured by the Brotherhood to be hanged and sees Cat sitting on a tree stump, cowled and all mutilated, staring blankly at Robb's crown she's holding on her knee. |

Drop a couple of mentions of someone taking out Freys in season 5 and then pull this. Damn that scene would have such an impact.
Umm... Book 3 Epilogue sir. Right after Only Cat and Arya sails to Braavos. Timeline was perfect, they just failed to put it in.

Also
In the show, Robb never once wore a crown.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Sight Unseen said:
Umm... Book 3 Epilogue sir. Right after Only Cat and Arya sails to Braavos. Timeline was perfect, they just failed to put it in.
Yeah but her reveal isn't connected to Arya or the Eyrie, it's connected to Jaimie whose timeline was moved around a lot in the show. He arrived to King's Landing much sooner than he should have and is still there in the show.

You have a point about the crown though.

charleski

Aug 2, 2014
The show and the books stand on their own, like two alternate histories of the same events, each with their idiosyncrasies. I've always found the notion of 'canon' to be more than a little obsessive-compulsive. It's interesting to see how the show is adapting the material for the screen, and anyone who expects a 100% faithful reconstruction is deluded - the screen imposes certain narrative imperatives that need to be obeyed to produce a good show.

But the fact is that anyone who loves the show so much needs to stop whining and go and read the damn books already! I really have very little sympathy for those too illiterate to wade through one of the most entertaining and compelling fantasy series of the past 50 years. And that attitude's not going to be changed by the opinions of a 17-yr-old girl.

Six Ways

Apr 16, 2013
nevarran said:
Six Ways said:
Saying works which deviate from their originals are automatically crap is pretty much the definition of a blanket statement.
Like I pointed out, "crap" in the sense of not being honest, using a cheap way to make a buck.
I can take Mozart's music, change a note here and there and it's still going to be a great music. My contribution to it tho', will be crap.
Well , you've moved from a blanket statement of "All deviations automatically make a work crap", to a blanket statement of "All deviations automatically make a work a dishonest cash grab".

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Six Ways said:
Well , you've moved from a blanket statement of "All deviations automatically make a work crap", to a blanket statement of "All deviations automatically make a work a dishonest cash grab".
Really? Ah, whatever, I'm fine with that.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I worked with two guys that did not shut the fuck up about what will happen next at the end of the season 4. I had to work closely with them and could not get them to stop no matter what I did.

I was basically terrorized into reading the last two books. Like one of them gave me the books and forced me to read under threat of spoilers from future conversations.

1% of the time book readers enlighten me more about the world, which I like. Like some stuff they don't explain so much in the show,
99% of the time they should shut the fuck up and stop telling me what to expect or what happens in the book.

My original plan was to watch the show to completion and then go back and read all the books. The differences would have made for an enlightening read, but now its all fucked up.
I thought I would have enjoyed the series better through the show first, and after reading the books I know I was right.

And that was my plan up until this summer job.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
The only the that I found to be a grievous departure from the books that was for the worst was making it so in Season 4

Jamie rapes her sister in the Sept of Baelor instead of her inviting him willingly

It really really REALLY changes people perspective of the character going forward.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Zac Jovanovic said:
Sight Unseen said:
Yeah but her reveal isn't connected to Arya or the Eyrie, it's connected to Jaimie whose timeline was moved around a lot in the show. He arrived to King's Landing much sooner than he should have and is still there in the show.

You have a point about the crown though.
I'm just saying that LSH was revealed at the end of book 3, before Jaime went anywhere. It's only hinted at who she is, but it's still pretty obvious.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Hardcore fans of anything are annoying as hell. This isn't an isolated incident. I never liked the idea of fans feeling owed by creators of any kind of work. They feel they have some ownership over something just because they read it and that definitely isn't the case.

Nov 28, 2007
SacremPyrobolum said:
The only the that I found to be a grievous departure from the books that was for the worst was making it so in Season 4

Jamie rapes her sister in the Sept of Baelor instead of her inviting him willingly

It really really REALLY changes people perspective of the character going forward.
I completely agree. That was the only change that actually angered me. There were other changes that made me roll my eyes a bit, but that one pissed me off.

I like Jaime. I was surprised to find myself rooting for him, but as soon as he started opening up, he became one of my favorite characters. Making him rape Cersei...you might as well take that character development and chuck it, because no matter how closely they stick to Jaime's story arc in the book, the viewers are going to think "Say, remember that time he raped his sister? Why do they expect us to sympathize with him?"

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
thebobmaster said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

I completely agree. That was the only change that actually angered me. There were other changes that made me roll my eyes a bit, but that one pissed me off.

I like Jaime. I was surprised to find myself rooting for him, but as soon as he started opening up, he became one of my favorite characters. Making him rape Cersei...you might as well take that character development and chuck it, because no matter how closely they stick to Jaime's story arc in the book, the viewers are going to think "Say, remember that time he raped his sister? Why do they expect us to sympathize with him?"
Personally, I just forgot that it happened. It probably won't ever be touched on again in the TV series, so it might as well didn't

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
While people who post spoilerz are assholes, people who complain about changed scenes aren't doing it cause "they like to know what's gonna happen". That's a stupid assertion. They're complaining cause changing how stuff occurs is fundamentally wrong. It rips out your experience and as far as the world is concerned, this tv show version is now "reality". This kinda sucks if you liked the books better. Your experience is beig actively overwritten in the eyes of the dominant tv watching book ignotoring culture.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Hold the press - people are being douches on the internet, and a semi famous person doesn't like it, so tars a group of her fans with the same brush.

Sympathy isn't rising, I'm sorry to say