Game of Thrones Episode 9...

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I already knew what was going to happen, but it was definitely one of their finest episodes in the whole series.

It has simply surpassed Ned's death emotionally to me.

JetFury

May 31, 2013
I would love to spoil everything for everyone. So much goodness, definitely recommend the books

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
fleischwolke said:
I read the books and knew what was coming, I always thought Rob was a dunce and I don't like weddings much IRL, but this episode left me completely exhausted and sad. Well played, GoT, well played.

I think a lot of the effect from the raw brutality of the murders, not a nice fade to black with screams and the aftermath, but stabbed stomachs, slitted throats, futile begging for mercy...man, I'm spent.

Help us, Stannis Baratheon, you are our only hope.

Edit: Of course, the next episode will just be 70 minutes of Theon Greyjoy being fed barbed wire up his ass at one foot a minute. I would not put that past them...
For the love of god, stop giving Ramsay more ideas!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
Look on the bright side, it can only really get happier from here.

Sweet summer child...

Anywho, me and my partner pretty much predicted what would happen. She added Robb, I added Shae, but we both missed Greywind.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
I just watched it and screamed VERY loud, so loud, actually, that my friend in the other room thought something bad had happened. He's read all the books, so he knew about it, but I've told him to shut the fuck up about every single little thing that happens, even if it's a wildling taking a shit in the woods, or if Joffrey (That fucking little shit) gets his head illed with 60 crossbow bolts[footnote]I just came up with this, but oh my god, it would be awesome if that happened![/footnote].

Still, my first reaction:
"WHAT THE FUCK HBO"
Quickly followed by a "That's it! I'M OUT!"

Disclaimer: I am not really out, but HBO have set the bar PRETTY high with that episode, and they have to kill off a Lannister (Preferrably Cersei, Tywin or, most desired of all, Joffrey) to regain my respect for that episode. It's too much of a sacrifice if that doesn't happen.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
In the books, Robbs wife doesn't die, so there was speculation that she might be pregnant
Wasn't she given milk of the poppy by her mother to stop her from getting pregnant, and was ordered by Jaime to kill her if anyone attempts to rescue her? Plus she practically disappears in the last 2 books

JetFury

May 31, 2013
erttheking said:
Having only read about this, I just have this to say. The usurper Walder Frey, one day your time will time, and the rightful King Stannis will plant your head on a spike above the gates to King's Landing. On that day, Walder Frey the Oathbreaker, Walder Frey the Kingslayer, Walder Frey the traitor, will pay for his crimes. The Twins will be burned to the ground, House Frey will all be slaughter, reduced to less than a memory. A fitting fate.
lol. Don't forget the one who wrote the letters many episodes ago

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It all happened after Talisa said she wanted to call her baby Eddard. That?s what you get for naming your baby after a character played by Sean Bean.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Man I'd been more interested to see the reaction to this episode than to see the Episode itself (read the book almost 10 years ago now) but hearing how emotionally it was handled... now I'm legit excited to actually SEE the episode. Though drinking in the reactions has been DELICIOUS!!!!

YOUR ANGUISH IS SO GOOD NOM NOM NOM!

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I thought it was well done. My brother and I have both read the books, and we watch the show together making pithy comments to each other, so since the Red Wedding was so anticipated and so dramatic, we basically spent the whole episode giggling to ourselves about what was going to go down. Still, did not expect the repeated fetus-stabbing, so it took us a few seconds to go "Oh, snap!". We're not terrible people, we just try desperately to rob it of as much dramatic tension as possible so we can actually sleep the following night.

So next episode will probably be everyone having a big damn party at King's Landing. Can't wait to see how Joffrey reacts.

And for those who're going "Who do I root for now? Stannis? Daenerys?", I'll root for who I've always rooted for - Varys and Littlefinger, making their respective moves, making the world a better/more interesting place, respectively.

Soviet Heavy said:
Mr.Tea said:
Wait, what? I watch it on HBO Canada and it airs just the same as in the US (Sundays at 9 PM Eastern Time).
...And that's on 2 different cable providers.
....You mean this entire time I've been watching the reruns on Monday nights?
Yeah, 'fraid so. Sunday, 9:00 EST.

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
I cannot describe how upset I am, even a day after. I was so angry after the episode I had to take a walk at five in the morning and it took everything I had not to fall to my knees and cry in the street. Well done HBO, you have broken my heart, shattered my soul, and ripped all that was good away from me.

Forever a loyal solider of the King in the North.

-Zama174

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I remember reading this part in my class during high school. I whispered "WHAT THE FUCK," but judging from my the hushed class and the stern looks of my teacher I had said those words just a little too loud.

My teacher demanded an explanation and so I went into a 5 minute recap of the GoT story to explain my "foul language."

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Christopher Fisher said:
As someone who read the books, I am so savoring this moment. Don't worry though--there's some happy deaths to come! ;)
Shockolate said:
One thing about the Red Wedding scene that bothered me was how Roose rushes in right at the end, stabs Robb, than runs out of the scene again. It was like he missed his cue or something. Couldn't have been a slow walk from behind, turn Robb around and then stab him, smile at Cat and walk away? It just seemed like they rushed that part to me.
I haven't seen the episode, but the Red Wedding is one of the best parts in A Storm of Swords.

I hope Roose Bolton told Robb "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" before he gutted him.

The Lannisters are the best house in the books, bar none.

Nothing Tra La La

Feb 10, 2010
I also read the books well before hand, so I was expecting a lot.
I didn't really feel anything for Robb - in the books he was barely tolerable, and in the show he was just obnoxious. I was actually pretty shocked when Talisa got gutted - I was convinced that she was in cahoots with Tywin, but, alas, I was wrong. I wasn't expecting to see her at the wedding at all, but to be completely honest I'm glad she died too. Her character was bland and ridiculously uncharismatic. Her death added more to the show than her entire life.
I was a little disappointed that Catelyn didn't rip her face to ribbons, but I understand why she didn't. God damn can Michelle Fairley act. Cat was one of my favorite characters in the book, and I was pleased with just how strong she went out in the show (especially after how much she was sidelined). I really hope Lady Stoneheart isn't left out of the show.
The only thing I like better about the show is Bran's story arc. His chapters were so hard for me to get through because I just didn't care, but in the show I got really teary when he and Rickon parted ways.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
I dunno, there was some weird pacing going on in the episode. I've seen it before (all the way since the start of the first season), but there were so many awkward pauses where nothing was happening and plenty of times where they cut scene a good 3-5 seconds after the scene had logically concluded.

Plus I would have preferred if there was a bit more of a fight than a total slaughter going on. If I recall correctly, some of Robb's bannermen (and maybe Robb himself) tried to fight back once the initial bolts from the fake band hit them and there was fighting going on in the feast tents for a while too. Plus Cat just kneeling and then getting her throat cut was hugely anticlimactic.

On the whole, it felt pretty flat.

Plus there was no setup with The Rains of Castarmere (the song) to briefly foreshadow the massacre right before it happened. It was never explained to the audience (as far as I know) in the series, so a viewer who didn't read the book wouldn't understand the significance of the song. Plus they used an instrumental version, so the aforementioned tv watchers couldn't read (ha ha) between the lines.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
KevinHe92 said:
I got the biggest chills when
the cello guy started playing the Rains of Castamere...I was just like 'shit's going down now'.
That was phenomenal. I read the books and I still got the chills when that happened.