Game of Thrones Episode 9...

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I've decided I cannot, in good conscience, recommend A Song of Ice and Fire to anybody until I know how it ends.

Whatever ending Martin is building up to better be fantastic if it's going to be worth so much pain.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Yeah yeah Red Wedding blah blah, but you're all forgetting the TRULY greatest part of the episode; seeing Grey Worm being a fucking boss! Forget the depressing fact that half the "good" guys are all dead, let's instead discuss what's really important; the utter badassness of Grey Worm, and the speculation on when he'll next get to show us why he rules so fucking hard!

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
When I read this part in the books I was shocked. The Episode made me thing for a long time that this was not gonna happen in the show. Anyone else feel like this last episode was light 10 minutes?

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
*Ahem* As a person who hasn't read any of the books and actively avoided ANY spoilers, I would just like the put my reaction to the scene in this little spoiler box right down here...
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! GODDAMMIT! NO, NO, NO, DON'T FUCKING DO THIS TO ME! SHIT! Well... Time to put duct tape over my House Stark shirt and make it say Team Arya instead. Hope she sticks a blade through Fray's eye socket.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
I remember that after reading this in the book I was like fuck...I only have one favorite character left but at least Cait is dead! Oh god books, why you hate me so much?

EmperorZuma

Jul 16, 2009
Hunter85792 said:
Plus there was no setup with The Rains of Castarmere (the song) to briefly foreshadow the massacre right before it happened. It was never explained to the audience (as far as I know) in the series, so a viewer who didn't read the book wouldn't understand the significance of the song. Plus they used an instrumental version, so the aforementioned tv watchers couldn't read (ha ha) between the lines.
Cersei explained the song to Margaery in a scene before Sansa's wedding in the show...I think it was episode 8. And, as a person who has just been watching the TV series, I knew shit was going to hit the fan when the solemn chords were being played.

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
Hunter85792 said:
Plus there was no setup with The Rains of Castarmere (the song) to briefly foreshadow the massacre right before it happened. It was never explained to the audience (as far as I know) in the series, so a viewer who didn't read the book wouldn't understand the significance of the song. Plus they used an instrumental version, so the aforementioned tv watchers couldn't read (ha ha) between the lines.
I disagree, as someone who has only read the first book, I knew exactly what that song meant as soon as it started. The Rains of Castamere has been used since season two, always signifying when the Lanister's crush their opposition in some way. As soon as the song started, my heart sank, I knew exactly what was going to happen, and I didn't want it to. All in all I thought the performance was wonderful, and it hit me harder then any other fiction death scene I have seen.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Hunter85792 said:
Cersei explained the meaning of the song to Margaery Tyrell last episode before Tyrion's wedding at the Sept of Baelor but, yeah, I understand what you say, using an instrumental version of a song just briefly speak of in a couple episodes (I think Bronn whistled a version of it on the Blackwaters episode and it was the closing song of another episode in season 2) does not help to build tension if you don't really know about it

*edit* aaaah, I've been ninja'd by EmperorZuma :p haha :p

Hawkmoon269

Apr 14, 2011
Oh man. The brilliant thing about this episode was that, if you hadn't read the books, it was a huge shock, and if you had read them, every scene at the Twines filled you with dream. I was shaking all the way through.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Knew what was coming. Wasn't ready for the extreme stomach stabbing. That was savage.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
sumanoskae said:
I've decided I cannot, in good conscience, recommend A Song of Ice and Fire to anybody until I know how it ends.

Whatever ending Martin is building up to better be fantastic if it's going to be worth so much pain.
I have a bunch of friends I warned off it for such emotional sensitivities as well... but I have more that I've heartily recommended it to.

...I certainly wouldn't dream of recommending it before I've judged a person's emotional toughness. It was too much for me when I was 18, but the older I get, the more I appreciate it.

Cowabungaa said:
RedDeadFred said:
Look on the bright side, it can only really get happier from here.
Sweet summer child...
That's rather like what I was going to say... but I think I'll go with this:

Y'know Petyr Baelish and his insistence that "chaos isn't a void, it's a ladder"? He's right... and the TV series has yet to depict chaos.
*insert maniacal laughter here*

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Meh... No Players, No Game.

Now all that's left is a lot of gossip and family intriges bullshit. It'll take forever until a good plotline re-arranges again, unless the story just jumps years forward and bring the white walker and the dragons all to King's Landings at once.

Brace yourselves, the soap opera is comming.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
That was possibly the best hour of TV I have ever seen. Before this episode, it was Blackwater. Before that...the last episode of The Sopranos.

I wish I was able to temporarily erase my memory of the books so it would be even more shocking. They did focus a bit too much on Catelyn's "Dat Walder Frey, he be a mad ****!" in the recaps at the beginning, but I always skip them then rewatch the opening theme and the recap when I've finished the episode (I download them, since New Zealand is ass-tastic when it comes to watching things from Showtime, HBO, AMC, etc). Without the recap and without reading the books, that would've easily been the best 'twist' in anything I've ever experienced. Unfortunately, Saw 1 still gets that since I had no knowledge of what the film was even about when I started watching it.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
LuisGuimaraes said:

Now it'll take forever until a good plotline re-arranges again, unless the story just jumps years forward and bring the white walker and the dragons all to King's Landings at once.

Brace yourselves, the filling season is comming.
Isn't the whole point of the Tyrells to inject drama into KL?
I mean don't get me wrong, I love grandma Tyrell, but her reason for existence is pretty much to give Tywin a rival that isn't his relative.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Josh12345 said:
LuisGuimaraes said:

Now it'll take forever until a good plotline re-arranges again, unless the story just jumps years forward and bring the white walker and the dragons all to King's Landings at once.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love grandma Tyrell, but her reason for existence is pretty much to give Tywin a rival that isn't his relative.
But what's left for a good plot now?
Not the soap opera going on in King's Landing...

I mean, the writter simple ate everything he has in the fridge in a single sandwich. Nice and all, but now there's only lamen left for the rest of the month.

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
I look forward to watching season 3 greatly, the books were thoroughly enjoyable (on A Dance With Dragons now). It's nice to know that when I watch it the red wedding have a similar impact to how it did in the books did, when I read them I was so shocked at the number of character deaths haha.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
For every character that dies three new ones get tossed in your face. By book five it gets a bit confusing, I even forgot about a major new character introduced in that one until I was discussing theories and someone reminded me.

So there's lots more gruesomeness to come, it's not all just "soap opera".

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
LuisGuimaraes said:
Josh12345 said:
LuisGuimaraes said:

But what's left for a good plot now?
Not the soap opera going on in King's Landing...

I mean, the writter simple ate everything he has in the fridge in a single sandwich. Nice and all, but now there's nothing left till next payment.
Well let's think, the war is called the war of the 5 kings, 2 are gone now, and there's an unofficial 6, so the 4 left are:
Joffrey in KL
Stannis in Dragonstone
Balon in Pyke
& Mance Rayder beyond the Wall

That's not tension? Now that the north is done for the war can now turn to the ironborn raiding half of the coastline and kicking them off the mainland.
Stannis is probably cooking SOMETHING up with mrs. 'I shoot shadow assassins out my v-jay-jay'
And Mance Rayder may very well defeat the Nights Watch.

There's some tension to build there.

Also Littlefinger's away and will be doing stuff in The Vale, and we haven't even seen Dorne get involved yet.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I've seen some people say many worse things than the red wedding happen, I've read the books but I don't really recall anything worse, could someone refresh my memory?(In spoilers obviously)