Game of Thrones Episode 9...

Borania

Aug 24, 2009
So for some reason, in the books the red wedding didn't do too much for me. I was sad that they died but nowhere near the reaction some people claim to have. my sister told me that someone had do stop reading the book for a while after a certain chapter, and I had to think really hard before realizing he probably meant the events of the red wedding.

but still, jeyne getting stabbed in the belly right after talking to robb about calling him eddard... that was brutal and took me by surprise.

and man. greyworm fighting, that was just beautifully done.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fuck me.
I don't even like those characters that much but... jesus. Fuck the Freys basically.

Putting that aside, the rest of the episode was interesting. Jon leaving the wildlings, Brann leaving to do... something that I've forgotten. Arya getting mindfucked yet again what with basically her entire family dead, and Danserys being all cool an' shit.
I was actually getting really worried that Jorah was going to die when that siege was going on but yay he didn't. Not sure how I feel about this new guy though.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
....... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I used to think the walking dead video game was one of the more depressing pieces of drama ive ever seen.... but damn this just took the cake.... a very sad bloody cake

on a positive note Grey Worm is a badass mother fucker

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
One thing about the Red Wedding scene that bothered me was how Roose rushes in right at the end, stabs Robb, than runs out of the scene again. It was like he missed his cue or something. Couldn't have been a slow walk from behind, turn Robb around and then stab him, smile at Cat and walk away? It just seemed like they rushed that part to me.

All in all, I loved the episode. And I've gotten much enjoyment from #RedWeddingTears on twitter.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm behind on the tv show but I've read the books so I know what everyone's talking about.
I'm glad they did it well.

I read those pages like four times just to make sure that it had actually happened.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Kinda disappointed they didn't show the struggle of the Stark side before their defeat. In the books, for example, Grey Wind manages to take down a few hounds and even the arm off a man while being shot down. But that's a petty remark because really, the scene was done pretty damn well.

I'm hoping for Lady Stoneheart and maybe even Coldhands.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Sadly the red wedding was spoiled for me because Robb Stark's wiki page said "died at the red wedding"
But yeah, totally shocking even having read the books.

Go, Team Stannis!

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I've read the books a few times and I was still shaking after it happened. I was disappointed Cat didn't lose it and claw her own face off like she does in the book, but I understand that may have been too disturbing.

Next episode we have even more disturbing, though.

Robb's body with Greywind's head sewn into it, and vice versa will be rather upsetting too, as will Arya's warging dreams of finding and chewing on Cat's bloated body. I really hope they do that, even though they haven't touched on her connecting to Nymeria at all yet.

That'll be upsetting.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I has a sad.

I'm actually quite happy that I've opted to read the books after watching the series, because I really was not anticipating the Red Wedding to be as brutal as it was.

I literally sat there with this face for a good 15 minutes afterwards.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
One thing I appreciate about how this was done is the fact that the killing is done with cold efficiency for the most part. They just up and stab the poor bastards. Not much pomp or daring speeches, Frey just gives his little introduction and the fetus stabbing kicks off the festivities. The only one who did have a final speech was Cat and nobody gave a fuck, she was only allowed to finish it because it amused lord Frey. And then she got her throat sliced so business-like and cue credits.

It's done differently than in the book. Fair bit differently. The book had various desperate last stands by various minor characters, Cat had a total mental breakdown and started hallucinating. The overall tone was different. But I don't mind this change, it works great for the format and left the essence of it intact.

And now I'm off to resume drinking the tears of the people who didn't read the books before watching the show. You suffering sustains me! ;D

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Ahri said:
I has a sad.

I'm actually quite happy that I've opted to read the books after watching the series, because I really was not anticipating the Red Wedding to be as brutal as it was.

I literally sat there with this face for a good 15 minutes afterwards.

I was really curious about whether people who have not read the books anticipated this. There is actually quite a bit of foreshadowing, they kept repeating Catelyn's doubts in every 'previously on GoT' segment...

I was impressed by how they played with us who have read it. When Robb's wife had the look of shock on her face and I thought hell is just about to start, but instead the next moment she is smiling over odd customs, but my heart was pounding in anticipation the whole time... Well played GoT, very impressive.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Wait, what? I watch it on HBO Canada and it airs just the same as in the US (Sundays at 9 PM Eastern Time).
...And that's on 2 different cable providers.
....You mean this entire time I've been watching the reruns on Monday nights?

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
ThreeKneeNick said:
I was really curious about whether people who have not read the books anticipated this. There is actually quite a bit of foreshadowing, they kept repeating Catelyn's doubts in every 'previously on GoT' segment...
I'll agree that there was plenty of foreshadowing, but as valid as Catelyn's doubts were, at least in my eyes the show gave me as much reason to doubt Catelyn herself as it did for me to agree with her concerns - especially when you take into account all that Catelyn has (or thinks she has) lost up to and during the Red Wedding.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Mr.Tea said:
Wait, what? I watch it on HBO Canada and it airs just the same as in the US (Sundays at 9 PM Eastern Time).
...And that's on 2 different cable providers.
....You mean this entire time I've been watching the reruns on Monday nights?
Somehow your avatar fits very well with this sentence... :p

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I just watched it and I have one major criticism.

I hate that they added that stereotypical 'NOOOOOO!' scream at the end, just sounded cheesy and the expression on the actors face at the time just looked off.

I loved how they just cut to credits after she fell down dead though, and I couldn't help but notice that her skin seemed to turn grey.

Heh. Sign of things to come...

Darquenaut

Feb 22, 2010
I had chosen to abstain from reading the books, if only not to spoil the show. I was figuring something was going to happen though. For one, they've been hyping up since the season began that anything was possible. That Game of Thrones doesn't pick favorites, that anyone could die at any time. And this being the ninth episode of the season, following in tune with the previous two seasons, something big was going to occur.

I was, however, not expecting that. I don't get moved so easily, less so for fictional characters, but that final 5-10 minutes... FUCK. To be fair, their storyarc I thought was the weakest in the show, but I enjoyed them despite all of their faults. But when it all came down, by brain literally struggled to comprehend what was going on. I literally remember trying to rationalize what I just saw. Was it just an illusion? Maybe some kind of foreshadowing nightmare? Surely it had to be. Surely they didn't just...

...black screen. Credits roll.

That just happened.

That just FUCKING happened.

Not a What-If. Not a dream sequence. Just....

....FUCK.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Fuck me.
I don't even like those characters that much but... jesus. Fuck the Freys basically.

Putting that aside, the rest of the episode was interesting. Jon leaving the wildlings, Brann leaving to do... something that I've forgotten. Arya getting mindfucked yet again what with basically her entire family dead, and Danserys being all cool an' shit.
I was actually getting really worried that Jorah was going to die when that siege was going on but yay he didn't. Not sure how I feel about this new guy though.
I don't like the new guy. He was supposed to have a marvelous beard! A marvelous, azure-dyed beard! Not that puny fuzz on the edge of his chin.