Game of Thrones Episode 9...

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
12344127 said:
So is it just me or has anyone else noticed that every episode 9 in game of thrones made me cry....I've also decided to begin mourning so congrats Geroge R.R. you won this round. What did you guys think of this season and episode 9's in general?
I loved it despite its flaws. The fight scene in Mareen was really poor, as was the CG at the end. And the timing in the final scene seemed a little off. But even knowing what going going to happen I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.
The episode made me sad because of what happened in it, and happy at the same time for seeing something very good on TV for a change. A very weird mix of feelings.

I hope Michelle Fairly gets an award for her performance, even though they changed her death scene from the books for the worse she still delivered some outstanding acting. The look on her face when Reins of Castamere starts playing, perfect agony. And one of the most intense moments on television that I can remember.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
You non-bookers think you're hardcore? Get this: I haven't read the books or watched the show.

I played the board game. Once.

[small]I just wanted to be part of the conversation.[/small]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
It'll be interesting to see if they include the other couple of "wham" moments that pop up in "A Storm of Swords" though I doubt they have time to throw in more than one more...

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
ThreeKneeNick said:
I was really curious about whether people who have not read the books anticipated this. There is actually quite a bit of foreshadowing, they kept repeating Catelyn's doubts in every 'previously on GoT' segment...

I was impressed by how they played with us who have read it. When Robb's wife had the look of shock on her face and I thought hell is just about to start, but instead the next moment she is smiling over odd customs, but my heart was pounding in anticipation the whole time... Well played GoT, very impressive.
im only 2/3s thru clash of kings, so basically in the same boat. man, do i have something to say about it:

i figured Frey was unusually accepting of Robb OPENLY VIOLATING HIS DEAL LIKE A MORON WHO DOESNT KNOW WHAT A MISTRESS IS, but i had no idea he would go THAT far. honestly, it feels more manipulative than anything: from what people here are saying it doesnt play out so mindnumbingly atrocious in the books; they take whatever guests they can alive because hostages are more valuable than making walder frey look slightly more like satan incarnate with pointless cruelty, and grey wind goes out in a blaze of glory probably because two mythically badass wolves dying helplessly in one series is just disappointing. i digress... the point is, it was a horrible, horrible act, but its clear Frey did what he did to further his power, nothing wasted on pointless cruelty, and the wife escaping and the wife being repeatedly stabbed in the fetus are two very, very, VERY different things, because to me getting rid of the only two things fucking with your political marriage would be the motivating factor of the whole bloody mess.

and the bit with Cat? a perfectly timed masterstroke of tragedy.... which is why its feels so bad and out of place. GoT has been nothing if not one of the most engrossing, realistic series ive ever watched, and perfectly disturbing bits like that just make me go, "really? was that REALLY necessary?" who the fuck waits til that one moment to slit a grieving woman's throat? it takes one EXCEPTIONALLY sick fuck to do that, not something your standard pitiless wretch of an assassin would do, and they already have theon's little friend to fill the role of westeros' exceptionally sick fuck. and of course arya arrives just in time to see that everything's gone to shit again, not arriving in the aftermath, not reuniting and being a new element walder doesnt have time to consider leading to her escaping again, no, she arrives JUST in time to see a frey man kill a stark man. it all falls perfectly into place, and perfect tragedy takes me out of the moment. that guy (was it one frey's sons?) did not act like a human, he acted like a scripted mustache-twirling villain his sole purpose is to make people hate him, and every character so far in the series, however minor, has been
been infinitely better disguised as a human who acts like a human. did he have some undying loyalty to Walder Frey? some cause to hate Cat Stark with a pitiless passion? im pretty sure he was just a hired knife or household guard, and if he was given some rousing speech to make the traitors suffer or something he would've been pumped, moving about anxiously, maybe shouting curses at them (like the other guy who couldnt help but mention lannisters), something, but instead he kills her with emotionless efficiency, like an assassin... except for the whole efficiency part, waiting for that one perfect moment of torment when Frey had intended for them to already be dead from all the fucking crossbows, and just took the opportunity to get a little bit of satisfaction. the point is cat watching her son die and wailing wasnt part of some planned cruelty, Frey told them to hold off and really never gave another order to finally kill either of them, so the only reason a calm, calculating killer would take that one moment above all others to kill her is if he was an exceptionally sick fuck, or he was a villain in a story designed to make readers/ watchers want revenge.

maybe later he is explained to be an exceptionally sick fuck, or we get some banter in the aftermath along the lines of, "yeah, i dont know what came over me, Frey told us to hold off, but then Steve killed Robb so i figured it was back on, only she had just finished wailing and it felt kind of f**ked up. guess that's the job i guess." at this point though, it feels transparently manipulative, and it pulled me out of the story, only because its been so realistic up to this point though; it was inconsistent. The actual event makes perfect sense in the confines of the story, Robb's army was falling part, winterfell was taken, so really there would be no backlash for taking them all out AND you get lannister gold, its just the details that irk me.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
I watched this with a living room full of 10 people, and I was the only one who read the books.

It was glorious.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
So this is my experience with the Red Wedding. I read the books before I saw the series. My friends read it before I did, and one accidentally spoiled the events of this episode. When I got to this part in the book myself, I was still very shocked, even though I knew what was going to happen.

Now that I've known what was coming for literally years...It was STILL one of the most shocking things I've ever seen. Can we just give MIchelle Fairley all of the Emmys now?

And can I just say...

*ahem* Anyway...Can I just say that it's going to be fucking AWESOME when Catelyn comes back? I mean, holy SHIT, how awesome was that?

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
ThreeKneeNick said:
I was impressed by how they played with us who have read it. When Robb's wife had the look of shock on her face and I thought hell is just about to start, but instead the next moment she is smiling over odd customs, but my heart was pounding in anticipation the whole time... Well played GoT, very impressive.
Yeah, this is true. There were a couple of false starts, and basically by the time Caitlyn noticed Roose Bolton's chain mail, my heart was literally thumping against my Rib Cage, even though I knew exactly how everything was going to go down...

Well, almost everything. Rob's wife getting the chop shits on all sorts of fan theories for book readers about a secret heir.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Robot Number V said:
*snip* for reasons of not spreading spoilers
It will be awesome just because of the strength of the actress. I actually hate the character and find her really annoying. I'd rather have Beric Dondarrion x1000.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I've just finished it... and wow.. I feel sick in my stomach. I did not see that one coming, at all. Well done, I guess?

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
LuisGuimaraes said:
Josh12345 said:
LuisGuimaraes said:
Meh... No Players, No Game.

Now it'll take forever until a good plotline re-arranges again, unless the story just jumps years forward and bring the white walker and the dragons all to King's Landings at once.

Brace yourselves, the filling season is comming.
Isn't the whole point of the Tyrells to inject drama into KL?
I mean don't get me wrong, I love grandma Tyrell, but her reason for existence is pretty much to give Tywin a rival that isn't his relative.
But what's left for a good plot now?
Not the soap opera going on in King's Landing...

I mean, the writter simple ate everything he has in the fridge in a single sandwich. Nice and all, but now there's nothing left till next payment.

in hindsight doesnt it make perfect sense though? thats kind of the mark of a good twist also.

Robb's army was falling apart, winterfell was taken, and Walder knew he needed him. like an idiot Robb openly violated the one thing that gave Walder cause to support him, being attached to the future king's family, and he knows Walder is an opportunist, that he needed to ensure his support was more appealing than the lannisters, which he very much failed to do. His army was losing steam, he had no home to go back to, and he lost major support by killing karstark, there was basically NO possible backlash from killing them all right there and then, which the lannisters just so happen to promise a mountain a gold for doing.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Josh12345 said:
LuisGuimaraes said:
Josh12345 said:
LuisGuimaraes said:

Now it'll take forever until a good plotline re-arranges again, unless the story just jumps years forward and bring the white walker and the dragons all to King's Landings at once.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love grandma Tyrell, but her reason for existence is pretty much to give Tywin a rival that isn't his relative.

I mean, the writter simple ate everything he has in the fridge in a single sandwich. Nice and all, but now there's nothing left till next payment.
Well let's think, the war is called the war of the 5 kings, 2 are gone now, and there's an unofficial 6, so the 4 left are:
Joffrey in KL
Stannis in Dragonstone
Balon in Pyke
& Mance Rayder beyond the Wall

That's not tension? Now that the north is done for the war can now turn to the ironborn raiding half of the coastline and kicking them off the mainland.
Stannis is probably cooking SOMETHING up with mrs. 'I shoot shadow assassins out my v-jay-jay'
And Mance Rayder may very well defeat the Nights Watch.

There's some tension to build there.

Also Littlefinger's away and will be doing stuff in The Vale, and we haven't even seen Dorne get involved yet.
Yeah, I hope you're right and the smaller stuff bring in some nice plots before the big events take place. The entire episode was very good, specially because it wasn't foccused in KL this time.

LifeCharacter said:
LuisGuimaraes said:
Josh12345 said:
LuisGuimaraes said:

Were you really that invested in the whole "King in the North" plot? I thought it was one of the least interesting of the plotlines they have, especially since it basically revolves around Robb being self-entitled and a massive idiot.

With that plot pretty much done, we still have Dany's quest for freedom in Essos, Tyrion dealing with murderous family members in King's Landing, Jon Snow and the Wildlings, Bran going beyond the Wall, the Whitewalkers, and Stannis to watch. But I guess that's all just "soap opera" and in no way interesting.
I was more into the war then the "king of the north" plot.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Uszi said:
*more snipping*
That's exactly why I'm looking forward to it so much. Zombie Catelyn is WAY better then Normal Catelyn, and after seeing the actress in last night's episode, you KNOW she's going to be great in the role. I've liked her far more the in show then I ever did in the books.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
oooooh, was wondering what point in the story it was at, what with so many posts about GoT there are going around without spoilers XD Yeah, that was an incredible moment in the books. Need to get around to catching up with the tv series!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Read the books, knew what was coming. Still cried. Still needed to be held.

My Mum just watched in stunned silence.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
After all the tweets yesterday I was expecting some blood, some murders... BUT I WASN'T EXPECTING THAT! Anything but that?! Holy shit! I'm sorry, I really can't describe how fucking shocking and depressing that was! That was like the ending of Persona 3, but with much more blood! JEEEEeSSUS!

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Damm you, Filch!

See, that's why you don't mistreat squibs. One day, when they're in power, they will repay you by fucking you over big time.
I'm just glad that Arry didn't die in there, I feared the worst after being hit by a spoiler when season 2 was running.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
loc978 said:
sumanoskae said:
I've decided I cannot, in good conscience, recommend A Song of Ice and Fire to anybody until I know how it ends.

Whatever ending Martin is building up to better be fantastic if it's going to be worth so much pain.
I have a bunch of friends I warned off it for such emotional sensitivities as well... but I have more that I've heartily recommended it to.

...I certainly wouldn't dream of recommending it before I've judged a person's emotional toughness. It was too much for me when I was 18, but the older I get, the more I appreciate it.
Do not misunderstand, it's not merely because the story is sad that I'm not telling people to watch it, but rather that Game of Thrones is a rare example of a single story split into 7 parts. Most series have some manner of closure at the end of seasons, not so with Game of Thrones; it's a cavalcade of tension and turmoil that continues to build and build, perhaps for the longest time I've yet seen.

I'm not just concerned that the conclusion to the build up will be too sad, (Although I do think a more hopeful ending would be appropriate for the material) I'm concerned that the finale won't be worth all the build up, that all the misery and darkness will be for nothing.

I've already done that once, and I don't recommend it to anyone.

Sabitsuki

Apr 20, 2013
Fappy said:
The most shocking moment I have ever witnessed in a live action television series.
Sharing this sentiment. I know a lot of shows that have provoked a large number of emotional responses from me, but I've never had one give me such a terrible gut wretching feeling before. Some of my favorite fictional characters ended and their entire campaign up-ended in such a cold and petty way, over the course of about nine minutes, is almost difficult to believe.

Game of Thrones, why do you give me these feels?