Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
OK so random thoughts and yes as I said in the title of this thread, full spoilers abound, not putting spoiler tags in my posts:

Jon x Arya > Jon x Dany....though the Dragon Ride was way better then Can You Feel The Love Tonight.

I would have written far more better dialogue of revealing Jon's true heritage then what has said here. Too simple and too the point. Kinda wish Bran was there explaining it to him, if not show it to him with his powers.

Looks like Next Episode will be the fateful battle, but we are still down to 5 episodes so what's gonna happen next?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Another vote for "Constantine was great!"

It's connection to the source material is kind of weird. On the one hand, the personality of Constantine himself is absolutely wrong. The plot is substantially modified. It's tempting to say it would've been better if it just weren't a Constantine movie at all, and just was its own thing. But then it would be rightly accused of being quite the rip-off. So... I dunno?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pyrian said:

It's connection to the source material is kind of weird. On the one hand, the personality of Constantine himself is absolutely wrong. The plot is substantially modified. It's tempting to say it would've been better if it just weren't a Constantine movie at all, and just was its own thing. But then it would be rightly accused of being quite the rip-off. So... I dunno?
Won't say "great," but I did enjoy the film. That said, I'd never read Hellblazer before that, and had no idea it was an adaptation of a comic until years later, where I read comments about the film. So, I can't comment on its status as an adaptation, but as a film in its own right? Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Samtemdo8 said:
Jon x Arya > Jon x Dany....though the Dragon Ride was way better then Can You Feel The Love Tonight.
So basically, Jon and Dany bone, have a daughter, daughter falls in love with (insert house here), cue civil war, cue reconcialiation, cue circle of life?

Dear showrunners, I've just written your sequel series for you. :p

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Having not watched and legitimately not caring I have to say there was far less Space Marines, Aliens, Thors, ultra hardcore sex scenes(like the shit the Thai think is weird) and every single character dying in an instance than was expected. Totally expected the Space Wolves to virus bomb Westeroth...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Pyrian said:

Won't say "great," but I did enjoy the film. That said, I'd never read Hellblazer before that, and had no idea it was an adaptation of a comic until years later, where I read comments about the film. So, I can't comment on its status as an adaptation, but as a film in its own right? Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Samtemdo8 said:
So basically, Jon and Dany bone, have a daughter, daughter falls in love with (insert house here), cue civil war, cue reconcialiation, cue circle of life?

Dear showrunners, I've just written your sequel series for you. :p
Lion King 2 Simba's Pride? Whose gonna be Not-Kovu?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
MrCalavera said:
Not at all. Another person who enjoyed "Constantine" here. Haven't read the Hellblazer, so can't speak about faithfullness to the source material, but Keanu wasn't one of its problems neither.
BTW: A less typical, little role he's good in - seedy motel manager in "Neon Demon".

Can't say much good about Harrington though. He plays a sympathetic character, but he does it on one "looking midly concerned" note. Haven't heard about his other roles being any great either.
also Peter Stormare as mr devil is a masterstroke of casting choice. have been meaning to see Neon Demon at some point, it's on the list for sure

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
It was alright. Cool new intro. Builds up anticipation for the next episode. Dunno how or why they managed to get the first line of dialogue be about freezing balls, but they did. Theon's little resq scene had my eyes rolling a bit, but I guess that thread had to be tied up quickly. The scene with Sansa and Tyrion had potential and used at least some of it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
McElroy said:
It was alright. Cool new intro. Builds up anticipation for the next episode. Dunno how or why they managed to get the first line of dialogue be about freezing balls, but they did. Theon's little resq scene had my eyes rolling a bit, but I guess that thread had to be tied up quickly. The scene with Sansa and Tyrion had potential and used at least some of it.
Because according to I think BloatedGuppy, the writers are obbsessed with cocks and balls.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Question, is Dany already familiar with Rheagar's relationship with Lyanna Stark?
Does it matter? The Targaryen line infamously had a habit of sibling marriage. It's a shock to be sure and will likely cause some strain, but the fact that Jon is Daenerys's nephew actually makes them more distantly related than the average Targaryen couple. And from a practical standpoint a relationship between the King in the North and the Queen of Dragons makes too much political sense to discard.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I agree that Keanu Reeves is great, particularly in Constantine and John Wick. On GoT, I know nothing.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Watched the new episode. It was a decent recap, despite being all new footage. It re-establishes everyone's roles and relationship, but everyone is essentially still in the same place where they were at the end of season 7 by the end of the episode. Jon gets told he's a Targaryen and that's about it for new developments. Which is fine, I guess. It has been near two years since the last season, so a reminder doesn't hurt.

Tho I felt the scene at with Tormund and Jon's buddy from the Watch at the Umber castle was a little too on the nose. The Umber boy nailed to the wall with the pinwheel of dismembered limbs around him was a cool visual, but what purpose does it serve? To establish that the White Walkers are bad news? That no one can stand alone against them? Well duh! The show has been telling us that for several seasons already. It was shown quite effectively with the massacre at Hardhome. Do they think we forgot all of that, so they created a scene just to spell it out for us, throwing a bit character to the proverbial wolves. For what, the assumption we'll care because he's just a boy?

I might be nitpicking here, but I feel this is an excellent example of what I feel is the biggest marker for the decrease in quality of the show. Not characters acting in ways inconsistent with their development. Not the introduction of cartoon characters like Euron and the Sand Snakes. Not the asspull teleporting armies and fleets. Not the awful dialogue about cocks and balls. But spending screentime to show us something obvious, then a little later having characters tell us that obvious something is obvious. Like the writers don't respect the viewer's intelligence.

Asita said:
And from a practical standpoint a relationship between the King in the North and the Queen of Dragons makes too much political sense to discard.
So much so there's a scene of Varys, Tyrion and Davos standing around discussing just that. Guess the writers don't trust the audience to figure that out for themselves either.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Chimpzy said:
Tho I felt the scene at with Tormund and Jon's buddy from the Watch at the Umber castle was a little too on the nose. The Umber boy nailed to the wall with the pinwheel of dismembered limbs around him was a cool visual, but what purpose does it serve? To establish that the White Walkers are bad news? That no one can stand alone against them? Well duh! The show has been telling us that for several seasons already. It was shown quite effectively with the massacre at Hardhome. Do they think we forgot all of that, so they created a scene just to spell it out for us, throwing a bit character to the proverbial wolves. For what, the assumption we'll care because he's just a boy?
I thought it was a throw back to the very first episode including the spiral formation of body parts

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
trunkage said:
Chimpzy said:
I thought it was a throw back to the very first episode including the spiral formation of body parts
Yeah, that's why I thought it a cool visual. It just feels like shocking drama for the sake of it. It doesn't tell us anything new nor really advances the plot beyond Tormund and his bros needing to haul ass to warn Winterfell because the White Walkers are getting close. Something we already knew.

If it were me, I would scrapped that scene entirely and done it as part of the dragonriding sequence, turning a bonding moment into an "oh shit, they're already this close" moment as an aerial view would've been a great excuse for an establishing shot of the full size of the undead horde. "See that? That's how fucked things are gonna get"

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
premiere was a'ight. Still feels a little bit like the writers are going down a checklist of characters to pair off and have interactions, but even with that slight stilted feel they're still fun interactions.

I find I'm liking the scism between Dany and her army and Jon Snow and the North more than I thought I would. It's probably the most interesting thing the writers could do with the coalition while biding time for the big zombie battle, so I shouldn't complain that they're doing it... though if it gets resolved in a single scene later on, I'll likely have an eye roll ready for it.

So yeah, not the worst way to while an hour of my finite, precious life.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Chimpzy said:
Yeah, that's why I thought it a cool visual. It just feels like shocking drama for the sake of it. It doesn't tell us anything new nor really advances the plot beyond Tormund and his bros needing to haul ass to warn Winterfell because the White Walkers are getting close. Something we already knew.
I get this. In the books, the fall of Last Hearth would be quite meaningful-- it would be the first Westerosi Castle lost.

But in the series, the fall of Castles has been devalued colossally. Highgarden was conquered by the Lannisters off-screen for goodness' sake; Dragonstone wasn't even guarded at all when Daenerys turned up!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Chimpzy said:
But spending screentime to show us something obvious, then a little later having characters tell us that obvious something is obvious. Like the writers don't respect the viewer's intelligence.
Mr. Btongue wrote a bunch of articles for Shamus Young back in 2017 where he pointed out that the Red Wedding worked so well as a shock episode because it did precisely the opposite. It counted on the viewers understanding how important guest rights were in Westeros and the viewers assuming it would protect the Starks. It counted on viewers to pick up on when The Rains of Castamere started playing and why it was significant and it never spelled out explicitly why Roose Bolton was wearing armor under his finery when Cat pointed it out. All of that worked to create a truly shocking scene, because much of the build-up in unease and dread relied on the viewer getting all the cues. Which made the sudden, graphic violence all the more shocking.

It is, for some reason, something that the show moved away from starting pretty much the very next season, in favor of more obvious and overt exposition. Maybe the writers didn't think they could get away with the same trick twice, maybe they didn't think the viewers would be that perceptible the second time around or maybe they just aren't good enough to write something as subtle when they don't have Martin's books to fall back on. I've no idea.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Is anyone going to make bets on game of thrones? Theres sites and places for that.