Game of Thrones Season 7 discussion thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND)

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
So is this the worse season yet?
IMO no. Season 5 is still worse, mostly because it was just boring and drawn out due to still having to stick to the chronology of the books in some storylines. I can't remember nearly anything from it. Arya was in Braavos, and... got blinded at the end. Sansa got raped, and isn't that always fun, a rape being one of the only things you can remember from a show? Oh yeah, and Jon got stabby stabbed. The rest just blurs into this indistinct mush.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Season five was still worse. This season has enough visually impressive cool shit going on that it kinda makes up for the plot holes. Like, I can forgive Dany and her teleporting dragon so long as it also leads to a dragon fucking shit up.

Season five had all those plot holes, plus it was slow and boring, with no big scenes except for Hardhome. Which, unsurprisingly, was the only episode I liked.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Nah, it's just a season with a ton of plot induced idiocy and a few plot holes.

Compared to season 5, where there was a ton of plot induced idiocy, a few plot holes, and 10 full episodes for the characters to dick around and do nothing in. at least the shorter run time forces everyone to move with purpose this season... though it's sad that being shorter is a selling point for it.

definitely second worst for me, so far... I think the seasons, in order from worst to best, go like this for me:

5, 7, 6, 2, 4, 3, 1

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Of the seasons I've seen, I'll go:

2>4>1>3.

Watching season 5 right now. It might be the weakest, but I think it's a case of a season being merely "good," as opposed to "excellent."

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
President Bagel said:
I really have no complaints. I've thoroughly enjoyed every episode, and don't agree with many of this season's criticisms.
So you'd describe yourself as not too critical of a person when it comes to entertainment media? Just wondering, as a guy who's very critical of movies and games and such I sometimes ponder if I ruin other people's enjoyment by pointing out how this and that is dumb or bad and so on.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Still think they should have captured a White Walker. It would have been MUCH more interesting to reveal to the world of their threat.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
THEON IS BACK BITCHES!!!!

Bye Bye Baelish.

So now you turn on Cersei Jamie? You would think after her killing your Uncle Kevan and driving your son to suicide would be enough to tell you what kind of person she is by now :p

Get ready everyone.....BAM! Incest is Wincest ;)

He should have been named Jaeherys Targaryan. Cooler sounding name and starts with the letter J. And it rhymes with Daenerys.

In a way I am kinda hoping the Night King wins. He's the most awesome thing in this entire TV show.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
We got a MUCH more extreme Luke/Leia situation. Thanksgiving is gonna be soooo awkward now...

Anyway, I would have preferred to have Thrones back to the "All ya'll mothafuckas are gonna die" attitude where they are willing to take out anyone (or at the very least, stop pretending like everyone with a name doesn't have plot armor now) but the end of this season is the first time this entire season that I've actually had some hope that the series is going to turn itself around after getting past Martin's stuff.

Also, I will forgive you HBO if you use your stupid plot armor powers to save Tormund Giantsbane. If he dies, my fanfic about him and Brienne making giant babies together that grow up to defeat the Night King's Army can't come to fruition :(

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
tippy2k2 said:
We got a MUCH more extreme Luke/Leia situation. Thanksgiving is gonna be soooo awkward now...

Anyway, I would have preferred to have Thrones back to the "All ya'll mothafuckas are gonna die" attitude where they are willing to take out anyone (or at the very least, stop pretending like everyone with a name doesn't have plot armor now) but the end of this season is the first time this entire season that I've actually had some hope that the series is going to turn itself around after getting past Martin's stuff.

Also, I will forgive you HBO if you use your stupid plot armor powers to save Tormund Giantsbane. If he dies, my fanfic about him and Brienne making giant babies together that grow up to defeat the Night King's Army can't come to fruition :(
I wanna make a Crossover Fanfic where the Lich King of Warcraft replaces the White Walkers, because at least the Lich King has a personality:

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ho ho holy shit. That was bad. I give the season credit for having 2 or 3 spectacle moments that I genuinely enjoyed, but the finale was back to the writing, and the writing was extremely bad. I used to hack on the show by saying without the source material it was like a grimmer Xena Warrior Princess but I begin to feel that's unfair to Xena, which I assume at least had some solid Warrior Princessing.

THE BAD

1. Opens with yet another long, cock-centric bit of dialogue. The writers are obsessed with cocks. Cock this, cock that. Can't think of a line for a character? Have him comment on cocks. It's hilarious, and gritty!
2. I see the Unsullied have teleported across Westeros. Such an inconvenience having that fleet of theirs burned. Although it totally wasn't, and made absolutely no difference to the plot whatsoever.
3. The Hound facing down his undead brother was a damp squib of a scene that amounted to nothing.
4. The point is driven home again and again that Daenerys controls the much larger, more dangerous, more capable force. And also has the dragons. Why on earth was all this globetrotting even necessary to enlist the help of the Lannisters? It's just SO badly written and poorly conceived. It's like something out of a really shaky YA series where verisimilitude takes a complete back seat to plot convenience.
5. Euron Greyjoy...no offense to Pilou Asbaek, but this is probably the worst portrayal of the most poorly written character in the entire series, and that's including the abominable Sand Snakes. He absolutely DESTROYS every scene he's in, and not in the colloquial sense. Just sneering and prancing around like a pantomime villain from a bad 80's direct to video movie. It's actually kind of staggering how terrible he is.
6. Heady's wig looked worse than usual this episode.
7. Brienne: "Fuck loyalty". You've got a real handle on the character of Brienne, writers.
8. Why did Tyrion need to go talk to his sister? Forget what happened, think about the logic of even making the suggestion. Why him? Why would that make a difference? Ludicrous.
9. The writers had absolutely no idea what to do with Littlefinger. The character and his scheming required defter plot manipulation than they were capable of, and it's clear that George's broad outline did not account for the character's full arc. So instead, we get this Shaggy Dog nonsense and another opportunity for Arya to be a TOTAL FOOKIN BADASS LOOK HOW COOL U GUYZ.
10. On that point, let's just admire how mid-teens Arya became a super saiyan ninja assassain with one year of training. SO COOL OMG. I've seen anime more grounded than this horseshit.
11. Cersei did a betrayal! What a surprise! Wow! Such writing! A betrayal! From Maleficent!
12. Theon wins a fight with his magic power of not having a cock! I'm serious guys the writers are absolutely obsessed with cocks there's at least one scene about them in every episode.
13. The imminent rescue of "Yara" marks the end of a whole sidebar plot that was a wholesale invention of the show, was never good, and has ultimately amounted to abhorrent stupidity. Well done show.
14. Bran's only supposed to see things that occur in front of Weirwoods. Wedding of Rhaegar? Ok. Baelish holding a knife to Ned's throat? NOPE. He's not Professor X, idiots.
15. Speaking of Bran, could his character be even MARGINALLY useful? Does he do anything other than sit around acting weird and aloof and then spouting out random factoids whenever the plot requires it?
16. CGI Ice Dragon was moving too quickly on his strafes and looked VERY CGI as a result. The show usually does an above average job with their CGI and this should have been a cool spectacle so it was a bit disappointing.
17. Shut up Beric you're not even supposed to be alive.

THE GOOD
1. Some nice scenic shots.
2. Cersei's line drop on "It would probably be an improvement for most of them" was awesome.

Here's hoping the final 7 episodes have more large scale CGI spectacles and less talking. Zero talking would be okay.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
President Bagel said:
It seems like all this season 7 ire seems to be here and absolutely nowhere else on the internet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/6vbxr2/game_of_thrones_director_admits_the_shows/

I feel like the show is losing it's sophistication. If the first season looked like the show does today, Robert Baratheon would've survived the boar hunt and swung down out of nowhere to save Ned Stark from the axe.
It's fun, it's spectacle, but it's also lost the finely crafted writing and plot structure of previous seasons and the books. I wish the script had more time to bake in the oven.
To me it feels like it's become more Hollywood and less Martin.. Nothing is catching me by surprise like it use to
It's more than just travel. It's the timing of everything--dialogue, action, exposition, pacing, etc. There just doesn't seem to be time for things to seem properly motivated or to bear any dramatic weight.
It seems like creators of the show are needlessly sabotaging their own show. Nobody but themselves decided to artificially shorten last two seasons and the pacing is really hurting for it.
It is obvious that they are off the books path now because all of the color commentary is gone from the script. There is no dialogue, no side stories, and little nuance to the characters. The characters are cold, the timeline jumps from major decision, to major decision. The show has become more like a reading of a set of instructions from Ikea than a story told around a campfire with inflection.
Is it me or is Arya and Sansa's dialogue fucking braindead
"The director ... says ?it?s cool that the show is so important to so many people that it?s being scrutinized so thoroughly,? as if he weren?t at all concerned with how much of our Sunday nights and Monday mornings we?re spending on models for the raven?s flight to Dragonstone and Dany?s subsequent flight to Jon?s exact location. He continued: ?If the show was struggling, I?d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it?s OK to have people with those concerns.?
Does that sound like a big ol' lazy, arrogant "fuck you" to all the fans, or is it just me?
I always get shit on for saying this but the dip in quality once the show passed the books is too big to ignore, it just isn't the show I fell in love with anymore
When the fans start doing plot analysis with at greater depth than the writers/directors, it's a crying shame. Why drop the ball with so few episodes remaining?
While I still find it entertaining, the show is basically fan service at this point. Everything after content from the books has felt rushed and poorly executed.
He (the director, Alan Taylor) continued: "If the show was struggling, I?d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it?s OK to have people with those concerns."
You. Fucking. Jackass.
The show is doing well because it had such a solid foundation in the first 3 or 4 seasons. If those episodes were totally devoid of depth and/or attention to detail (like this last episode), the show would have been cancelled after the first season.
I feel like game of thrones has jumped the shark :(.
Fuck off! If this was a 10 episode season, as it should be, then the beyond the wall storyline would have been great. That could be stretched out over two episodes and built the suspense. Instead, we get Gendry-the-Flash, supersonic ravens and good old Dany Ex Machina. Lazy, lazy, lazy.
I wish HBO would realize how disappointed everybody has become with the show and actually take the time to send it off on a high note next season.
It's not just the timeline.
The show is outright boring and is more LOTR than anything RR Martin would write. This is just fan service.
Ugh, the writing in the last few seasons have been quite disappointing. I miss the times when they had actual book material to rely on. It has turned into a fan-pleasing mess, with lame scenes just for the sake of shocking and oddly convenient plot devices or characters that makes the whole thing unbelievable and tiring.
It just proves without Martin, they have shit writers. They were used to condensing hundreds of pages into 5 minutes, and don't know what to do now.
In short, Game of Thrones has dumbed itself down a lot and the creators are well aware of it but don't care because it will still be the best and most popular T.V show no matter what they do now.

"We're ending it soon anyway so why not be lazy as hell, what's the worst that can happen?" Was probably D&D's final thoughts before they butchered Game of Thrones.
This season is a complete mess.
Director admits episode is a mess but show is too popular so fuck it. RIP Game of Thrones.
Most of the main characters cannot act with what they're given. I'm going to be downvoted to hell, but it's the fucking truth, and it's all because of direction and not ability.
Nevermind plausability, the writing is downright god awful.
We went from watching our favorite characters unexpectedly die horribly to GameOfThrowbacks and tropes galore.
This is a tiny sample from one episode.

The show is still popular but if you don't think it's catching criticism you're not looking very hard.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
President Bagel said:
I'm reading through the Game of Thrones reddit right now, and nearly all of the comments I'm seeing are overwhelmingly positive. The season finale also has a 9.7/10 rating out of 6,118 votes on IMDb. All the published season finale reviews I've encountered have also been overwhelmingly positive.
You're reading the GoT sub, which like every fandom sub is a nearly unceasing circlejerk of positivity. I remember reading on the Wildstar sub that Blizzard was shitting their pants because WoW was about to be toppled. Jesus Christ man you cannot use FANDOM SUBS as a barometer for anything.

Regardless, we are not discussing whether or not it's possible to find positive mentions of the show online. We are discussing whether or not "no criticism of the show exists outside of this forum". That was a ludicrous assertion.