Gameloft Breaks Out the Clone Machine for WoW-Like Order & Chaos

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
That's not a clone of WoW. It's not even a carbon copy of WoW. That's WoW with a lower polygon count and worse textures.

I'm all for hating Blizzard, but this is just screwed up. The lack of originality is... appalling.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Wow! When i read "...Breaks Out the Clone Machine for WoW..." I was expecting something like Rift where it has the same feel to it. Not a xerox'd version of WoW.

This is beyond "lack of originality". This kind of art theft or whatever you would call it takes effort

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Gameloft made me put down iPhone gaming for good. They bully the creative developers out of their work by spewing rubbish 3D game clones. Not a good series has been left unharmed.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Are these "game developers" (I guess you can call them that)like the lowest of the low feeding off the companies that make good games because they cant come with any ideas at all.

I understand copying some good ideas from games but Gameloft is just like that person in class who would always just copy and paste there report from a site and not even bother changing any words at all.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have two thoughts on this.

1. Of course it's a rip off of WoW. Emulating the biggest game on a different platform makes perfect sense. Now, this game will be crap like the majority of smartphone games. I can't imagine it would be fun to play at all. Smartphone games in and of themselves are just time killers and not really a platform where any serious gamer would direct attention unless they simply had nothing better to do with themselves. But, that is just my opinion.

2. WoW is itself a derivative of many other things. It was not an original idea when they made a fantasy based MMO. It's not a bad game, but WoW isn't the first to do a lot of things. It's hardly fair to call an emulator of a derivative a cheap attempt to steal ideas from it's betters. Even if one is wildly successful. I still play WoW occasionally. It's come a long way from what it was.

This isn't really newsworthy I think. But, what else is new.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Well gee by The Escapist's logic Gameloft should be invited with open arms into next year's March Mayhem right? I mean hell, if you're willing to promote a company of bottom feeders like Zynga then a company like Gameloft that steals the ideas of others and actually offers a quality product should be a no-brainer eh?

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Just so you people know, one of the Technical Directors who works at Blizzard has a brother who works in GameLoft.

They currently using GameLoft to dip-and-test the mobile market via a smaller company, and most likely, GameLoft will stay a proxy for such things.

Now as to 'if' the Technical Director plans on defecting Blizzard or they plan on merging the assets of both company under a common publisher behind the scenes is currently unknown. However, in all cases, it doesn't change anything since both companies share many people (either family members or ex-members).

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Lovely how the haters even manage to hate on Blizzard in this news.

I just wish Gameloft copies Mass Effect 2 and the whole escapist crowed just tolerating the WoW and Starcraft theft get ridiculously mad.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Sure they may lack creativity, but do you guys see anything else that is better? Since not to many other companies have been throwing their hat in to the mobile market, it is better to have these clones because otherwise there would be nothing else.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
... If somebody were to show me that youtube video without the background I would assume I was watching a WoW trailer (coming from somebody who played for a couple of months).

Wow guys, great job... No really, I can see it actually looks quite good, especially for a mobile game, but could you have maybe not been hacks? There is more than one game to make surely. Why can't they use the effort to at least change the style a bit or make something that Wow doesn't offer besides the whole portable thing?

Oh wait, this IS the games industry after all...

Sep 17, 2009
Usually I let WoW clones slide, I mean WoW kinda got there foundation from Everquest, but c'mon! At least change the character designs or something...

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i support them 100% for bringing games to different platforms. hey, if no one else is going to do it at least someone ELSE bothered to do it, and they should be lauded for their actions, not condemned

besides, it's hard work to effectively copy games like those.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Sometimes, I'm a little depressed that I'm part of an industry that's meant to be so innately creative and yet so lacking in anything resembling basic fucking ethics. At least try to be original.