Gameloft Breaks Out the Clone Machine for WoW-Like Order & Chaos

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
When I saw the title I was like "Yea, right. Every MMO is copying WoW right?/sarcasm", and then I saw the trailer. I admitted I was wrong.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I don't get it. Judging by the trailers, the games looks awesome. Surely these guys must be able to come up with ONE original idea? If these guys had bothered to even try to make their own game, they might actually have gotten costumers.
TheAmazingHobo said:
This makes me kind of.... I don´t know, sad I suppose.

They have some clearly talented devs and coders (their games ARE well-made, for the most part), all of which are wasting their time with something really redundant, working off a buisness model that involves doing what other people have already done better and earlier.
I can´t imagine that working there is fun or fullfilling,
I seriously hope they get paid well, at least.

Oh, and to all of those people in this thread, who shout about how Blizzard is ripping of Warhammer etc.: I don´t think the problem here is that Gameloft is vaguely ripping off a mythology or races or themes, I think it´s more about ripping off the EXACT game-design, areas and content of a game that already exists.
I was about to make a post exactly like this.

Also, Blizzard ripped ideas from warhammer, not gameplay, story and looks. Theres a big difference.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Ok, there are "WoW Clones" and then there's this.
This is ridiculously similar.
I'm all for creative new games (ahm GW2 ahm) but bottom line is players will play the (crappy) games they like.

icaritos

Apr 15, 2009
Pointless, it will never work. Well with the exception of the Uncharted ripoff perhaps. Both MMORPGs and RTS games have largely stayed on the PC (and failed terribly on consoles), because they rely heavily on customization and a large amount of hotkeys/abilities. Anyone who has ever played starcraft before should known, the idea of limiting the keys to what you can shove in a tiny ass screen is laughable.

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
That looks like a very generic MMORPG to me...

Better to steal something good than to create something bad. I guess.

Darth Jerak

Nov 19, 2009
I have several Gameloft titles on my iPhone. I agree that Gameloft games are mostly rip offs of other popular console titles. Blades of Fury feels and plays like Soul Caliber. Gangstar plays like GTA. Brothers in Arms is your WW2 shooter. NOVA is a blant Halo rip off. Heroes of Sparta is your mythical hack and slash. In their defense Assassins Creed and several movie titles are licensed games. I have played all these games (with the exception of the movie titles for obvious reasons) and they are all well made games that are worth the price. They are one of the better iphone developers as far as quality, graphics, and gameplay goes. While they lack originality its not like most licensed games are going mobile anyways. MMOs on the iphone have so far have been a joke. Gameloft my just be the people to pull it off. And more importantly I am glad they are ripping off "good games" instead of making more Angry Birds/Farmville ripoffs like everyone else!

Fitzcaraldo

Member of three secret societies
Feb 2, 2011
This kinda reminds me of another iOS developer, Quantum Squid. Their apps consist of: Fruit Ninja Veg Samurai, Pinball Starball and last, but not least Raving Rabbids Rabid Gophers.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
I think the best thing they have going from them is the fact that it is going to be one of the few mobile MMOs. There isn't that much competition in that market. I am having trouble even thinking of another mobile friendly MMO with this good of graphics.

I think MMO developers would do better if they stop trying to take on Blizzard by remaking WoW. It hasn't gone particularly well for the last few "WoW Killers". Instead of re-inventing the wheel, make the next step beyond WoW. You can apply some of the lessons learned from the monumental success of WoW to something other than a WoW clone.

I'm just sick of seeing WoW clone after WoW clone. But, maybe being mobile will make it so that this one will thrive where others have failed; It will be interesting.

Naterkix

Baron of Sealand
Oct 31, 2008
I'm pretty sure Gameloft has almost never had a game that was an original idea. Most of their games are at least decent but they always seem to get a clone of every popular game that comes out. Brain Challenge, Diamond Rush, Gangstar, Hero of Sparta... Though I will admit that Chuck Norris: Bring On The Pain was original and (though it controls like ass) is freakin' awesome! Prolly 'cause it has Chuck Norris in it!

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
I DEMAND RESTITUTION!!!!!!!

Seriously, I think some fucking royalties are due.

Edit:

Or maybe EA should just buy them as a fallback plan when SW:TOR bombs.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Kotlick gives me nightmares, but in this I want him to attack gameloft like rabid ravenous pitbull

Beertaster

Jan 20, 2011
Well if Blizzard sees that Game Loft is becoming successful in their venture then Bliz will sue them and win. They have the money, its more of a question of whether its worth the money to sue them or not.

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
Even all of Starfront's racial names are stolen from other games (Consortium, Wardens); someone ought to stand up and sue them on principal.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I've heard the term "WoW clone" thrown about willy-nilly, but... just... WOW! I'm not making a pun here; I'm genuinely shocked at how blatantly true that applies!