Gamer Ends up Comatose After Drinking 4-Liters of Energy Drink

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I never understood the appeal of energy drinks. Hell, even the branding ain't appealing. You ever read the back of a "relentless" can? Shit sounds like the sort of insane "motivational" speeches given by wall street bosses. And does one of those cans pictured just say "HELL" on it? No thanks.

Until I had to do a dissertation. So much writing. So much bullshit academic bureacracy. So many times rewriting the same damn things in a slightly different way to please some asshole with his head up his ass. I don't know how anyone can handle that free of any kind of chemical, be it caffeine or alcohol, or fuck, even drugs.

The thing that kills for me is the kind of "rubber band" effect. I liked to do my writing in huge chunks, so usually, I'd buy a 2-litre bottle of mountain dew, which would last me a good one and a half days of writing+other work. At the end of those days I'd feel on the verge of fucking collapse, despite barely leaving my chair, so it's easy to see how if you intend on steaming through a long event (like this LAN thing) you could end up just on a string of the damn things.

As for what caused it, fuck knows, but I'm with the article. That much energy drink in such a short space of time ain't ever gonna be good.

Oh, and also, quit being so hard on the kid, guys. For one, he's a fucking kid, two, he certainly sounds shook up by the whole thing and learned his lesson, and three, we spend so much of our damn time telling our kids not to have sex or drink or do drugs that we rarely bother warning them about the hazards that are just lying around in everyday life, readily available.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Crazy Zaul said:
8 cans in 16 hours isn't much, so the must have already been something pretty badly wrong with him.
Don't those 1/2 liter cans have warning labels stating 'do not consume more than one can a day'?
V drinks say 2 per day, I noticed this weekend as we drank 8 over 2 days (between my mate and myself, 4 each), they were the small thin cans though, so probably no more than 400ml each I think, so to drink 4 liters in a day would be stupid. Still, being 14 he probably didn't even notice/realize the risk, glad to hear it didn't end badly.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
That wasn't from Caffeine. That was more likely from the other ingredients in the energy drinks he was consuming. The problem is that even a shot drink of 5 hour energy has so much of the common ingredients like B12 and L-Carnitine that it exceeds the recommended dosage by a factor of 50x. This person drank over a gallon of equivalent substance at an age where their body mass isn't even that high (unless this kid was obese). The fact he actually survived is amazing.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I knew a guy in high school who almost died when his kidneys failed after drinking nothing but Mountain Dew for a couple weeks. The human brain hasn't fully developed yet at that age so kids tend to have poor judgement and/or think they're invincible.

That said, most energy drinks are just so nasty. Most of them immediately give me a headache and make my mouth feel sticky and syrupy. I don't know how anyone can stand, much less chug, the things. But I do like the occasional Java Monster.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
I'm so glad I mostly gave up caffeine 11 years ago. No coffee or soda and I've never had an energy drink in my life. After around 5 years I started drinking tea again, but that's it for me. Not relying on caffeine to walk up makes waking up ,and staying up, a lot easier. It takes a week or two for the body to adjust but I felt so much better.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
J.McMillen said:
I'm so glad I mostly gave up caffeine 11 years ago. No coffee or soda and I've never had an energy drink in my life. After around 5 years I started drinking tea again, but that's it for me. Not relying on caffeine to walk up makes waking up ,and staying up, a lot easier. It takes a week or two for the body to adjust but I felt so much better.
I drink decaf and herbal most of the time, myself. The only time I drink normal coffee is on the weekend when I'm without a keurig and we only got a pot, but even then one 8oz - 12oz cup of coffee wont exceed 160 mg. Most people are safe drinking two to four cups of coffee a day as the caffeine dosage of 200-300 mg is within the bodies ability to compensate for.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Someone paddles in the shallow end of the gene pool.

I did 2 cans of Relentless inside an hour at Uni once. I had a 10 minute long giggle fit in the bar.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
fenrizz said:
Abomination said:
All I could think was "Good."

What a fucking idiot.

They're designed for a single boost of energy - and even then some fresh fruit or perhaps a granola bar would be better. They're not a supplement for your dietary needs.

I just hope this serves as an example as to how stupid this kind of product is.
And I'm sure you were the paragon of wisdom and intelligence when you were 14.
By comparison? Hell yes.

If there's one thing I've got going for me I never thought my entire day should consist of only consuming a high energy drink.

There are instructions on the label. It's common bloody knowledge it's just for a burst.

Being 14 is not an excuse for doing stupid shit, it's only a mitigating factor.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
Cid SilverWing said:
I would expect this from an American, not a Norwegian. I am ashamed now.

Overdosing on energy drinks leading to kidney failure. Who'd have thought?

I'm not that surprised, considering the past behavior you displayed outside of this forum.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
The most relevant point appears to be this:

StewShearer said:
Government officials, in turn, aren't sure if caffeine alone was necessarily behind Dahl's hospitalization. "I've never heard of such a powerful reaction to caffeine here in Norway," said Margrete Meltzer from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
Everyone is assuming that it's the energy drink that was the problem, but you know what else can put you in hospital if you down 4 litres of it? Water. Basically, if he downed it all in a short time, the fact it was an energy drink is irrelevant. If he spaced it out over the whole time, there's not enough of any active ingredient (taurine is popular in these things, but there's actually no evidence it does anything at all) to cause problems in a normal healthy person. So rather than jumping in to shout about how stupid it is to drink so much or to let children have it at all, we should rather be wondering what was actually responsible for the problem in the first place, especially since the doctors involved themselves say they don't know.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
I laughed out loud when I read the title. I'm a horrible person I know. Thought he drunk it pretty quick for that kind of reaction. Maybe he did.
But if he did it over 16 hours or so I wouldn't find it that weird or extreme even though I'd never drink so much of that artificial swill.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
We've really gotta start reigning in these energy drink companies. Like, fuck, this is getting dangerous.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
'Dahl'? Where have I heard this before?
Oh right, badge.

Swiftly consuming 4 liters of anything is a bad idea. I wonder in what time span he drank all four liters.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I drink about 2 cans every 24 hours, so I was curious as to how much danger I was putting myself in...turns out he drank about 8 and a half 16-oz cans. Either this shit can mess you up bad, or this kid had a pre-existing condition that was either exacerbated by or unrelated to the energy drinks. I'm kinda thinking I should quit being lazy and start grinding beans for my morning fix again...

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Well, this kid's kidneys are fucked and so is he unfortunately. I would be surprised if he lives past 30. It's a shame they didn't highlight that more in the article. Kidney failure is not something you can really come back from. And I can't imagine him being high on a doner list.

But I suppose it's more fun to make fun of this kid for a bad judgement call. Beats facing up to your own problems I guess.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Call me heartless and cold but he knew the products explicitly say to CONSUME RESPONSIBLY and no more than 3 CANS PER DAY. No sympathy from me if he was going to ignore the product warning on the label and ends up hospitalized.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
How did he manage to down that many in one day? I've had my fair share of energy drinks, but I don't think I could drink more than three or four in a day.
1. The amount of time I have to spend peeing would almost cancel out the benefit of having that extra energy
2. Some energy drinks taste alright, but too many and I feel you'd become sick of the flavor assuming you weren't to begin with
3. I don't understand why it was so hard for him to stay up. For me, after a certain time of the night, adrenaline kicks in, and I'm wide the fuck awake for the next 4 hours easily

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Ya gotta wonder why they bothered with energy drinks for a 16 hour marathon. If they started particularly late in an afternoon I might understand, but unless they were narcoleptic you really shouldn't need more than one to manage being awake that long.
Also, was the session planned to go that long or did his passing out cut it off at the 16 hour mark? If it's the latter I can imagine that they went overboard on chugging energy drinks when they were starting to get tired after half a day of gaming. I doubt it was spaced out evenly over 16 hours; that reaction seems too severe for a liter every 4 hours (though now that I type it out a liter every 4 hours of energy drink still sounds like a lot)